JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went crazy today buying wood chips for my new smoker. Cant' wait to get that baby here. Come on Amazon... Good time to buy wood chips right now, some were on clearance about $3.00/bag. Bought some hickory, apple and cherry. I'm not a huge fan of mesquite for some reason, unless it's in the Royal Oak charcoal briquettes I buy. Now, that stuff is pretty good. Been buying that for many years. Also bought 3 bags of that today at Bi-mart.

IMG_1951.JPG

Yes this is a big frustration for me. So far i'm less than thrilled with my traeger especially in winter.

I know that some of the Traeger guys use a welding blanket for insulation during cold weather.

Yea, an insulating blanket would be great as well as shelter from wind and rain if possible will make a huge difference.

I have to keep mine (charcoal) downstairs in front of the garage with a concrete wall blocking the wind and an overhead porch protecting it to cook in the winter. Takes more fuel and more frequent check on temps.

Yea, an insulating blanket would be great as well as shelter from wind and rain if possible will make a huge difference.

I have to keep mine (charcoal) downstairs in front of the garage with a concrete wall blocking the wind and an overhead porch protecting it to cook in the winter. Takes more fuel and more frequent check on temps.
And if you have a Mav (or similar)......it makes fire control soo much easier.
You wonder how you did it without a Mav.
An actual "Game Changa"

Maverick ET-733
Maverick-ET-733-Wireless-Dual-Probe-Barbecue-Thermometer-Set-4.jpg

Until I can afford fancy toys, I'm calling all those electric luxury smokers and temp gauges cheating:p:D.
If you keep an eye on Amazon you can sometimes find them on sale.
I have a 733 NIB that I would let go for $40 if you are interested.

Do not monkey with anything below ET-732.
These were the first of the series that were reliable and what I currently use.

Last Edited:
I bring my gasser to work for some "Hot'n Fast" lunchtime cookin'.
Took me an entire summer to crack the code on Gartner's Marinated Beef Short Ribs.
It is a very unique flavor and closely guarded recipe.....

3 minutes per side and bam! you're eatin' ribs !
(prep the sides at home)
View attachment 346994

Original thread...
Flanken Cut Ribs NW Style - www.ifish.net

I can see that we are going to need a dedicated Recipe Thread !
looks like korean ribs! MMMMMMMM

looks like korean ribs! MMMMMMMM
Same cut (Flanken) but a completely different marinade/flavor.
Not sweet, not salty.....just very unique....Gartner's hit on something with this and some people make the trek to Gartner's just for these Marinated Beef Short Ribs.

My code-breaking activity is under the original post link above.
:D
Along with all the nuances of acquiring the proper cut ribs and some cooking tips.

Whether you use Gartner's or mine, it's a guaranteed home run.
It does make a mess of your grill, so be prepared for that.

Hey!! Attention all smokers!!

Remember that Pastrami recipe I posted a couple pages back??

Winco has Corned Beef Brisket Point Cuts on sale for $1.98/lb right now.
Get the Points, put them in in the smoker fat-cap up and they self baste!!

And they're all sealed in the brine and they freeze REALLY well.
Go ahead, you'll thank me when you're eatin' Pastrami sammiches on the 4th of July.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top