JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_1253.JPG IMG_1252.JPG

This would be my ideal setup as I do not have access to good applewood and I'm not a hickory fan. If I lived down south and had access to good wood I would be a wood fire fan but as it is I use charcoal and wood chips.

Fire box on one side, grill in the middle (or you can smoke in it like I do now) and a smoker on the other side. Feeds a huge party!

For a dry rub. I use Paul Prudholms meat magic liberally on ether red meats or whites, the traditional version also works very well on fish. Keep your wood chips/chunks wet, and check often. A slow heavy wet smoke is the ideal for roasts and large fowl, a dryer, lighter smoke for fish. I prefer mesquite/hickory mix for the reds and a hickory apple plumb mix for whites and fish. Electric smokers are the only way to go, they keep the costs down, and the consistency is impossible to beat!

Depending on the richness and strength of the smoke, A blend of differing woods can fine tune the flavor quite a bit. Mesquite is one of the most dense and there for flavorful of the smoking woods, where as apple or pear will give a lighter and more delicate flavor. All depends on what you are smoking and the type of flavor you seek. Ceder is one of the best for any fish, yet it has a sweetness not every one likes, apple or a blend of apple and hickory will accent fish almost as well with out that depth of sweetness! Like wise, Hickory and ceder gives red meats a more deep and complex flavor. The wetness of the wood also contributes to the overall flavor, the wetter the wood, the more smoke and there fore flavor you get, and it lasts longer. A dryer wood will smoke less and at a higher heat and can be used to tune the level of smoke to suit more sensitive tastes especially Salmon, where the flavor of the meat gets overwhelmed by the complexities of the smoke and any spices used!

We have an offset wood smoker. It takes a lot of babysitting. You can't turn it on and go to town for the day and come home to smoked meat for dinner. However, I love learning the art of it for prepping purposes. We just got it late this summer and have done a tri tip, pork butt and two turkeys. All turned out great. The turkey recipe is a bourbon based one. I will try to get some recipes up in the next couple of days. Not at a computer right now.

View attachment 332103 View attachment 332104

This would be my ideal setup as I do not have access to good applewood and I'm not a hickory fan. If I lived down south and had access to good wood I would be a wood fire fan but as it is I use charcoal and wood chips.

Fire box on one side, grill in the middle (or you can smoke in it like I do now) and a smoker on the other side. Feeds a huge party!

Oh hell yes. I like that one...!! I'd have that sucker smoking like a freight train...:D

When I hit the lotto I'll use it to make a down payment. :)

IMAG0240.jpg IMAG0232.jpg IMAG0230.jpg so this the BBQ we use when I go down to south Carolina it's kinda like a smoker / BBQ if you look at the bottom there is a handle so you pull that out and it's like a rack you put hot coal 's on from the camp fire next to it slow cook a 125-130lbs pig but it takes all night we had 4 guys we each took 4 hour shifts keeping the temperature at around 250 degrees all night then in the morning we dumped charcoal and more wood chips and cooked chicken and some other stuff had some ribs I can't remember but we had enough food to have are party and took all left overs to church next morning and fed bout 25 people lol

I'll put another picture so you can better idea how big this thing is my friend standing next to it after everything was cooked we use it to keep food warm IMAG0242.jpg IMAG0234.jpg and me doing my 4 hour shift use shovel to put coals in the rack I had the 04:00 to 08:00 shift little sun burn we were fishing all day

My favorite way to make smoked salmon might be considered sacrilege by you purists but I swear it's amazing.
Lawrys seasoned salt
Yellow cedar

I was hipped to this recipe by the smoked salmon guy at neah bay, who makes the greatest smoked fish ever, imo.

I also happen to have an empty 55 gallon fuel drum in the warehouse and have been wanting to turn it into one of these for a long time..
Build Your Own Smoker From a 55-Gallon Drum
Maybe this is the year for that!

My favorite way to make smoked salmon might be considered sacrilege by you purists but I swear it's amazing.
Lawrys seasoned salt
Yellow cedar

I was hipped to this recipe by the smoked salmon guy at neah bay, who makes the greatest smoked fish ever, imo.

A little alder mixed in with it is great too.

I know Traegers are supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, but I have a Cajun Injector I use to smoke two 20 lb turkeys every Thanksgiving. My daughter who doesn't like turkey will only eat mine:D

I have found brining to be the big secret for most meats. For turkey I brine overnight in a mixture of cloves, garlic, mulberry, bay leaves, thyme, and of course salt, all in apple juice. Then I use a dry rub the next day after rinsing usually of brown sugar, paprika, and black pepper and then smoke over Applewood chips..... turns out great and the Cajun holds temperature great... except for when it gets cold like last year and I had to quickly put a box around the smoker to keep the temperature up... this year was much warmer and I didn't have that problem.

Good wood? What's wrong with alder? Or go all George W and cut down a cherry tree,apple,whatever your neighbor has next to your fence:rolleyes:
For salmon,a guy in Sequim,a professional mind you,told me to try a handful of sea salt to a bag of brown sugar. Place in a bowl (whatever) skin to skin,meat to meat with the BS/salt mix in between. Shnits like candied salmon. I like it just done and moist
I tell ya for chicken? I have never had so many compliments on food as for my chicken.
It's kind of a up state NY recipe I guess. Marinade it in olive oil,rice wine vinegar, a little salt, lots of garlic, roasted sesame seed oil,just a little. I leave it over night or more. You almost can't dry it out.
This makes it so tender. Then flavor as you want for the smoker. Or add it to that mess.
I'm not good with beef but for pork I just use a little seasoning,whatever gets in the way,lol. But if you marinade it like the chicken,it will be very moist and tender.
This marinade doesn't flavor it as much as tenderize the meat.
I made my own smoker,BTW

or salmon,a guy in Sequim,a professional mind you,told me to try a handful of sea salt to a bag of brown sugar. Place in a bowl (whatever) skin to skin,meat to meat with the BS/salt mix in between. Shnits like candied salmon

This is the exact recipe I use but I toss it in the smoker for a bit to get some smoke flavoring on it;):cool: - best smoked salmon IMO:rolleyes:.

Never tried smoking a chicken or turkey but I'm starting to think I'm missing out.

My dad swears that the best smoked turkey he ever made was one that was on a shelf just below a brisket that was being smoked at the same time and dripping onto the bird.

Course he's a Texan so you could probably put cardboard under a brisket to soak up the drippings and he'd have it for dinner happily:p.

This is the exact recipe I use but I toss it in the smoker for a bit to get some smoke flavoring on it;):cool: - best smoked salmon IMO:rolleyes:.

Never tried smoking a chicken or turkey but I'm starting to think I'm missing out.

My dad swears that the best smoked turkey he ever made was one that was on a shelf just below a brisket that was being smoked at the same time and dripping onto the bird.

Course he's a Texan so you could probably put cardboard under a brisket to soak up the drippings and he'd have it for dinner happily:p.
Did I miss the smoker part?:eek: I kinda refered to it:D
I put pork on top ifin I'm doing two things at once.
I mean what doesn't taste better with pork drippins on it

Here are some of my favorite smoker/barbecue sites. Many tips and recipes to review. Different rubs for different meats. Wood is very important for the right smoke flavor. Just don't overdo it. To strong a smoke will ruin the flavor of the meat itself.

The Smoke Ring Check out the library and forum.
The Virtual Weber Bullet - For the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker enthusiast
amazingribs.com
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. - Powered by vBulletin

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain.

Smoker.jpg

Prime rib. I use Penzeys English prime rib rub. Pecan and cherry wood
PR2.jpg

Ribs.
Carnitasribscookin_zps436c09b5.jpg

Pork shoulder and brats
July43.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics