Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Smacked brass

Reactions
What's doing this?
Is my recoil spring to strong or mag spring to weak?

cartridge.png

Glock 20 Gen3, 22# recoil spring, extra strong mag springs, 180gr JHP ~ 1300fps. Every 1/25 or so gets mangled.

Every once in a while the slide also stays shut (More often than I find cases like this). It used to be all the time. But it's way better now though with the stronger mag springs.

Last edited:
That looks like it’s getting bit by the slide due to possibly weak ejection when it’s going forward into battery, which would mean (in a Glock) that your recoil spring may be a scosh too stiff, or the ejector is out of spec (possibly a bit too short). Either keep shooting it until it “breaks in” or replace the recoil spring with something a pound or two lighter and see if that makes a difference.

Just my W.A.G. without seeing it in person.

DirectDrive

Reactions
Try an OEM RSA
I have one in my G20.4 and it runs 180gr - 1300fps like a scalded dog all day long.

OP
pinne65
Reactions
I have a 20# I'll try that the next time, and also the old OEM (17# I think it is). The OEM felt too weak for 10mm as I remember. It runs .40 perfectly though. Today's outing, some 35 rds of 10, didn't yield any mangled cases of course.

DirectDrive

Reactions
I have a 20# I'll try that the next time, and also the old OEM (17# I think it is). The OEM felt too weak for 10mm as I remember. It runs .40 perfectly though. Today's outing, some 35 rds of 10, didn't yield any mangled cases of course.
What do you mean ?

DirectDrive

Reactions
My OEM 17# felt like it was slapping backwards too hard. So I went with the stronger spring. But I'll probably try both the the 20# and 17# OEM next time.
In my experience, when shooting with a recoil spring that is too light, the brass will get flung a long ways.

Reactions
Too light of a spring will throw the brass in to the next county and if the slide is moving too fast it can catch the brass as you show. Too strong of a spring will drop the brass right in front of you and can catch the cases as you show. One last thing is to be sure you are holding the pistol solid so that all the recoil energy is going to moving the slide and not your wrist.

OP
pinne65
Reactions
I usually have to bring my passport so I can retrieve all my brass. It's mostly 10 lanes or so to my right. Every once in a while I have a couple laying around my feet. I'll try all three springs this weekend and compare.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done business with Jeff for many years,he is trustworthy and honest
    • grpolarbear
  • Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I've known him from the beginning. I trust him completely. His prices are fair. He is technically competent in all aspects of gunsmithing and...
    • OLDMANWINTER
  • Country Line Shooting Sports
    5.00 star(s)
    If you like a good mom and pop, country store, County Line only lacks the cracker barrel and chairs to be damn near perfect. They try and for the...
    • CptPh0t0n
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    David is kind, considerate and a true professional as are the rest of his staff ! Thanks
    • LuLuBelle
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    Back in April, I had Brimstone do a Tier 1 trigger job for my 10/22 race gun build. After months of use and a handful of speed steel events, I...
    • Mister Bisley