JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's doing this?
Is my recoil spring to strong or mag spring to weak?

cartridge.png

Glock 20 Gen3, 22# recoil spring, extra strong mag springs, 180gr JHP ~ 1300fps. Every 1/25 or so gets mangled.

Every once in a while the slide also stays shut (More often than I find cases like this). It used to be all the time. But it's way better now though with the stronger mag springs.

Last Edited:
That looks like it's getting bit by the slide due to possibly weak ejection when it's going forward into battery, which would mean (in a Glock) that your recoil spring may be a scosh too stiff, or the ejector is out of spec (possibly a bit too short). Either keep shooting it until it "breaks in" or replace the recoil spring with something a pound or two lighter and see if that makes a difference.

Just my W.A.G. without seeing it in person.

I have a 20# I'll try that the next time, and also the old OEM (17# I think it is). The OEM felt too weak for 10mm as I remember. It runs .40 perfectly though. Today's outing, some 35 rds of 10, didn't yield any mangled cases of course.

Too light of a spring will throw the brass in to the next county and if the slide is moving too fast it can catch the brass as you show. Too strong of a spring will drop the brass right in front of you and can catch the cases as you show. One last thing is to be sure you are holding the pistol solid so that all the recoil energy is going to moving the slide and not your wrist.

I usually have to bring my passport so I can retrieve all my brass. It's mostly 10 lanes or so to my right. Every once in a while I have a couple laying around my feet. I'll try all three springs this weekend and compare.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top