JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

We got a new neighbor family a few months ago. They have an Australian Shepherd and St. Bernard uppy.

I can hear the husband smacking the Aussie around the last few nights and mornings. I think he wife is out of town and he does not know how to deal with dogs.

I really can't handle it. I tolerate people day-to-day, but I LOVE dogs, I have a special fondness for the Aussie breeds.

The only thing that has kept me from going over there is fear of retaliation. My wife and dog are home alone all day, and sometimes the dog is home alone. Don't want this guy to harass my wife or break in and hurt my dog.

I am renting so I can't reinforce things and mount cameras everywhere.

I don't think reporting him anonymously is an option because this morning he saw me standing on my back porch glaring at him.

As of right now, I have our personal dog trainer willing to go help teach him ( I will pay), I have some of her handouts, and I wrote a kind thoughtful letter. Trying to figure out the least offensive way to get him this info.

My wife is scared any interaction may set this guy off and risk retribution. I am scared if I hold it in I will go over in a fit of rage and kick his door down.

It is also keeping me up at night and distracting me from work thinking about it.

We are moving once we find a house, then I can talk to him or call animal control.
Kind of needed to just vent, but also looking for advice an opinions.

Sounds like your neighbor is pretty small person to treat animals like that. Even if someone else does something there is a good chance he will think you were involved even if you aren't. I do not have an answer but those that hurt what I consider innocent wether they are kids or pets are no friend of mine.

1: Don't go over there. You have the good guy label now, but you lose it once you act out of pocket. Especially on his property.

2: You have an affinity for that breed. Make sure that what he is doing is illegal or it will just appear that you are inherently biased and incapable of being objective.

3: If you do go over there, be as Ned Flanders as possible. I wouldn't even mention beating the dog. A "chance" encounter on the street is even better. "Notice you have an xyz dog. I grew up with those! If you ever need any help, let me know! I know a great trainer and I get a great discount!"

If he says GFY, check legalities and file a complaint. If he accepts, the problem either gets solved or you might get more access to get evidence for a more compelling complaint.

Sounds like your neighbor is pretty small person to treat animals like that. Even if someone else does something there is a good chance he will think you were involved even if you aren't.

Yeah the guy is Wierd, I am out back a lot with my dog and he always hides when he opens the door. Never says hi. Maybe he somehow knows I am crazy?

And Yep. I feel kind of comitted at this point. Anything happens and I am going to be a suspect in his mind. Hell his wife is going to be able to tell when she gets home and the dog is terrified.

1: Don't go over there. You have the good guy label now, but you lose it once you act out of pocket. Especially on his property.

2: You have an affinity for that breed. Make sure that what he is doing is illegal or it will just appear that you are inherently biased and incapable of being objective.

3: If you do go over there, be as Ned Flanders as possible. I wouldn't even mention beating the dog. A "chance" encounter on the street is even better. "Notice you have an xyz dog. I grew up with those! If you ever need any help, let me know! I know a great trainer and I get a great discount!"

If he says GFY, check legalities and file a complaint. If he accepts, the problem either gets solved or you might get more access to get evidence for a more compelling complaint.
1. Yep. Trying to stay calm.
2. I agree. Not sure of the "line" for abuse, but I know those breeds don't respond to any amount of it. I am more interested in trying to get him training assistance then in trouble.
3. I am. I am a very passive, small, timid guy. I am usually really nice to people. I would be in this case too. I agree a chance encounter is better, but I never see either of them. They kind of hide in there house and never walk there dog.

4. If all that fails I will record at least the sounds of him hitting it.

Maybe wait until the wife is home and go over there with your wife under the pretense of welcoming them to the neighborhood (bring cookies, beer, or whatever). They have a puppy so that would be a good reason to bring up your trainer in a casual non-confrontational way. See how that goes and take it from there.

If it continues maybe approach the wife, or have your wife approach the wife about it.

(@No_Regerts beat me to it.)

I can't stand people who own dogs yet can not treat them right.

I have neighbors who raised their dogs indoors, yet think they will understand being left outside for hours at a time now that they are a year or two old. All they do is cry at the door thinking they are being punished. No outdoor shelter, food, or water. I've come really close to calling Washington County animal control a few times. They are moving, I hope for the dogs sake, to a property with a bigger yard.

It's hard, not to say something.

I've placed water buckets over the fence, and thrown some chews over on occasion.

They thanked me once for the water bucket and returned it to me, but about a week later left then out there again for about three hours.

I wish you the best of luck, neighbors are hard these days, we live so close, but know nothing about each other.

I think that @No_Regerts has some pretty good info / recommendations. Having nothing better to offer I like his advice.

We have an Aussie her name is Annie and she is our kid. The only problem we have is she gets on a barking fit occasionally. Sometimes there is a reason many times she likes to hear herself bark. But she is ours and we love her. Maybe your neighbor doesn't know how to handle the barking. 20161228_121750.jpg

Last Edited:
I think that @no_tegerts has some prettu good info / recommendations. Having nothing better to offer I like his advice.

We have an Aussie her name is Annie and she is our kid. The only problem we have is she gets on a barking fit occasionally. Sometimes there is a reason many times she likes to hear herself bark. But she is ours and we love her. Maybe your neighbor doesn't know how to handle the barking.View attachment 458490

Thanks.

Beautiful pup! Give her snuffles for me.

Maybe wait until the wife is home and go over there with your wife under the pretense of welcoming them to the neighborhood (bring cookies, beer, or whatever). They have a puppy so that would be a good reason to bring up your trainer in a casual non-confrontational way. See how that goes and take it from there.

If it continues maybe approach the wife, or have your wife approach the wife about it.

(@No_Regerts beat me to it.)

This is a really good idea. Unfortunatly my wife an I are both a little awkward, and I don't think she is going to go along with any intervention out of fear.I will still present it to her though.

Is he abusing them or disciplining them? I'm not saying punch or kick your dog, but dogs are pack animals and you HAVE to be the pack leader and that means disciplining unwanted behavior. A rolled up newspaper or grabbing the scruff of the neck and saying NO loudly isn't abuse IMO.

The last guy I ran into that beat his dog, also beat his wife.
You may have a can of worms there.

If it's as bad as it sounds, you might try calling the Vancouver Humane Society.
They should be able to recommend a course of action.
Home

I'm not a confrontational person but I couldn't allow myself to stand by while an animal (or person) is abused. I'd try it once the easy way, after that I'd present evidence of abuse to the authorities, and if that doesn't work I'd have to do it the hard way.

Hi all,

We got a new neighbor family a few months ago. They have an Australian Shepherd and St. Bernard uppy.

I can hear the husband smacking the Aussie around the last few nights and mornings. I think he wife is out of town and he does not know how to deal with dogs.

I really can't handle it. I tolerate people day-to-day, but I LOVE dogs, I have a special fondness for the Aussie breeds.

The only thing that has kept me from going over there is fear of retaliation. My wife and dog are home alone all day, and sometimes the dog is home alone. Don't want this guy to harass my wife or break in and hurt my dog.

I am renting so I can't reinforce things and mount cameras everywhere.

I don't think reporting him anonymously is an option because this morning he saw me standing on my back porch glaring at him.

As of right now, I have our personal dog trainer willing to go help teach him ( I will pay), I have some of her handouts, and I wrote a kind thoughtful letter. Trying to figure out the least offensive way to get him this info.

My wife is scared any interaction may set this guy off and risk retribution. I am scared if I hold it in I will go over in a fit of rage and kick his door down.

It is also keeping me up at night and distracting me from work thinking about it.

We are moving once we find a house, then I can talk to him or call animal control.
Kind of needed to just vent, but also looking for advice an opinions.

Video him and call animal control.

Hell if can see you on the porch then maybe just start with being very obvious you are taping him with your phone and see if that tapers things down.

If not call animal control and show them the videos.

Teach your lady how to shoot your gun if she doesn't already for when she is alone.

Any way to crate your dog inside or give it a room with a door/hall with a gate?

Put up a couple fake cameras - you can fill the 2 screw hole so whem you move.

All easier said then done but likely you won't ever have to deal with retribution - animal and wife beaters are cowards at heart.

I'm with you, I get livid when I see dogs mistreated... or any animal really.

Let me hit my gal up on this.
She was an animal cop and cruelty investigator for years.

She in vet medicine now.... got fed up with the court system slapping them on the hand.

I will post back to you her opinion.

Animal control, in my experience, is not very effective. But I don't think you have any other options. It's not your job to police this guy, and inserting yourself and your wife into his life directly is more dangerous than making a call. Be persistent and maybe they'll actually do something. Good luck.

If they are within on month of moving in, I'd say go knock on the door with the wife and a bottle of wine or six pack of beer.

Breaking the barrier could help open the door to conversations. Which could eventually lead to talking about dogs.

Though we all moved in at the same time, I brought both my direct neighbors both a bottle of wine and a six pack of beer.

I really enjoy one of my two neighbors, they have been over many times and we are overdue to get together for dinner or something.

The other neighbors, with the dogs, though we do not talk much and they are relatively quiet, are more approachable I feel due to the olive branch I extended at the time of move in.

Once they move and the new neighbors get settled, I'll likely do the same again and bring over some beer and wine.

It is hard to go after a neighbor for anything! I stood up against my HOA a few years back and a few houses over is the Boards President. I am glad they aren't right next to me, but that fiasco still has a weird feeling in the air each time I see them out walking the dog or getting the mail.

Neighbors can really suck, I have learned it is best to be nice and get to know them as much as possible.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews