JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dude probably placed a Geo location picture on FB. I see it all the time.

Not surprising, people install listening devices in their homes and connect them to the internet, They do this voluntarily too. 🙄

Not surprising, people install listening devices in their homes and connect them to the internet, They do this voluntarily too. 🙄
Yes, my wife was upset after I blocked Alexa's access to the internet. I did not that it was working until I was having a discussion about Alexa and the damn device responded to my surprise. Now if anyone says "Alexa" it responds that its internet connection is not working, and I say that's right!

Yes, my wife was upset after I blocked Alexa's access to the internet. I did not that it was working until I was having a discussion about Alexa and the damn device responded to my surprise. Now if anyone says "Alexa" it responds that its internet connection is not working, and I say that's right!
I was looking into Nest products (HVAC controller and smoke/carbon monoxide detector) and was trying to make sure they'd maintain functionality without an internet connection…

So I called their support line to ask. I kid you not, the rep literally could not understand that WiFi was not the internet; just couldn't grasp that a network could exist sans-internet.

Google hiring the best and brightest, apparently :rolleyes:

I was looking into Nest products (HVAC controller and smoke/carbon monoxide detector) and was trying to make sure they'd maintain functionality without an internet connection…

So I called their support line to ask. I kid you not, the rep literally could not understand that WiFi was not the internet; just couldn't grasp that a network could exist sans-internet.

Google hiring the best and brightest, apparently :rolleyes:
Simplisafe smoke detectors work without internet. Base station has its own cellular, or it can be connected to internet. Our simplisafe is not internet connected. Monitor center response was seconds after I tripped the smoke detector one time...we couldn't figure out which smoke detector was chirping.

Looks like simple safe now has CO detectors.

They don't have their own thermostat though. However looks like simple safe can connect with nest thermostat. No idea if internet required for that function, or not. Internet is required for simplisafe cameras...We have a different camera system.

Better put your "smart phone" in a drawer, because it's listening too.

Article said geolocation metadata was not a factor

I feel sorry for the guy - I've crossed over a line into BLM land and was cutting on a fallen tree without realizing I was on BLM land and not the private tree co land I had a permit for. Was later contacted by the FBI who wanted a $10K fine (got out of it by paying $300).

I mean, just how do you know you crossed over a border in the wilds of the Yukon?

I mean, just how do you know you crossed over a border in the wilds of the Yukon?
The border between the US and Canada is kind of messy, but OnX, Basemap, etc, are a hunter's friend.
Per the article, he knew he was close to the border between Alaska and Yukon Territory.
Whether he took it in Canada or Alaska makes no difference to the population, so he 'effed up by not following S-S-S. Even among hunters, some are named Karen.

Private vs public lands here in Oregon are just as messy.

@The Heretic , how did the FBI know that you had sectioned off your felled tree while standing on BLM?

It's not just GPS and modern technology that catches people. in the 1970's, I worked for the Wyoming
Department of Game and Fish. Each year we randomly selected licensed hunters who had bagged big
game such as elk, mountain sheep, etc. and sent them a survey to help us manage game areas.
One part of the survey asked the hunter to mark on a map the approximate location where they bagged
the animal. Most people have a good idea of where they were hunting and approximately where
they shot the animal.. We particularly sent surveys to out of state hunters who used licensed guides.
In several cases the hunters told us how good the guides were and what a wonder hunt they had, had.
They then marked the location of the kill on the map. Low and behold, the location was within
"no hunt" or "restricted license" areas!

In most cases, the agreement with the hunter was that they would not be prosecuted if they would
testify in court. The guide would then be contacted as to their "mistake". This usually result in
loss of their guiding license for a period of time and a substantial fine. In cases where it went to
court, the conviction rate was 100% and in some cases resulted in jail time as well as permanent
loss of license and a higher fine.

Game management is important if we are to have healthy herds and to have animals to hunt in
the future.

@The Heretic , how did the FBI know that you had sectioned off your felled tree while standing on BLM?
While we were cutting a fallen tree (it was a windfall, which had also knocked down the sign noting that we were crossing over into BLM land), a logger came by and told us we were on BLM land (we were about 100' over the line).

The logger noted the business logo/sign on the truck we were using, and passed that on, which eventually reached the FBI who was investigating other people up the road, cutting live trees in the area (a big no no) for firewood.

The FBI tracked us down about a month later and asked about the other people cutting live trees. We did not fall the tree - it was windfall.

Then a couple years later they wanted to close out the case and told us we owed $10K for the wood we cut (triple fines, with max of $10K). The guy I was with had a high powered lawyer for a cousin who got the fine down to $300.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top