JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I HATE skybusters!!! Any low % shots that injure waterfowl or bring it down w/o killing and which also result in a lost bird, IMO are extremely unethical. Slob hunters.

I used to pack in 3 dozen decoys and my buddies in the blind did the same... so we had some really nice spreads of decoys. And retrievers, which cut down tremendously on the number of ducks lost. I like a hardy dog that is able to withstand the flapping an injured duck can do. My buddies Labs or Chesapeakes were great, one had a Wirehair, but my smallish Shorthair ok but not great. (a live goose would have kicked his small butt.... I had one of those small pure liver colored Shorthairs that would fetch up a jumped duck or a pheasant downed in the creek, but shivering in the blind or pushing thru reeds was not his thing)

That was back in the daze of lead shot. We used 1 1/4oz of #4 lead and kept our shots under 40-45yds. I had an O/U with full/mod so I could select the mod barrel for 25yd shots. But we'd tromp to the blind in the early morning dark, set decoys for an hour, wait for daylight, see some flocks coming in from far off... then just before they'd get to us, some jerks in the next blind or two over would start wailing away at them while they were still 80yds, or more, up in the sky. Dumbazzes! Jerks! Slobs! Bumpuses!!!
When I was a kid, we had a GSP with a great nose. Killer on upland.
Never. tried ducks but later we had a Weimerainer that could swim like fish.
Used to piss that short hair right off! :D
He probably wpuld've been great on ducks.

I don't have any experience in 20ga with the Rio ammo. If you can buy a box and pattern it before buying a bunch I would. Depending on the birds you are hunting I would lean towards 3s or 4s, since you are only getting 1 oz of shot.

.Thanks for your input cowboykid8.
I ask because Sportsman's Warehouse has that particular load @ $10.99/box right now.
I think you're right, though about the shot size.
An ounce of #2's ain't many pellets.

Update: LISTEN TO THE KID!

Your comments prompted me to look a little further and it ends up SW does have the same ammo in steel #4!
2 3/4" though and a little slower (1345 vs 1400 MV) and a little less (7/8 oz. vs 1 oz.).
I did the math though and it appears the shorter shell actually holds more shot (168 vs 125), so you'd get a more dense pattern.

...and...

50 cents cheaper! :s0115:
$10.49 vs $10.99.

Thanks cowboykid8! :s0155:

I shoot 12ga 3" kent fasteel or blindside shells #2 size. I think 3.5" shells are unnecessary - but to each their own. I've tinkered around with shot size, and for hunting around the columbia #2 size is perfect, a bit heavy for early season teal, but perfect for the big mallards we get.

I shoot 3.5 inch bb when I'm on areas that I might see geese. If I'm over duck decoys, 3 inch #4. I have several shotguns that I hunt with. My advice is to go pattern them at different ranges and pick what flies the tightest. If I'm solely hunting geese, shoot full choke bb or bbb out of my super black eagle 3.

Attachments

• Snapchat-943785790.jpg
    Snapchat-943785790.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 44

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show