JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good day,

Just getting started with Waterfowl, been out 3 times and shot 1 duck We all have 12ga, the guys I went with shoot 3" and 3.5" BlackCloud loads in BB and #1.

I am just using the Federal Blue Box Steel.

Having done research and looking into Steel vs Bismuth, I came across BOSS shot shells. They really seem to like smaller shot.

What size shot do you like shooting and why? Do you shoot steel or Bismuth?

I don't expect that I will be doing much hunting other than Sauvies, so any suggestions should keep that in mind.

Haven't been duck hunting in years. Bizmuth was just entering the market and was very expensive so I shot steel 3 1/2. Hated them with a passion. BB to number 2 depending on the circumstance. Lack of pattern, penetration, and short distance all irritated me. Less ducks brought in, more wounded ducks. Not something I would recommend to a friend. Part of the reason I got out of ducks.

No idea how anything other than lead and steel works. I miss lead.

I "big water" hunt on the Columbia using Kent Fasteel 3" 12ga, #2 shot 1.25oz

I have taken scores of ducks with them.

Now.... if wild duck just didn't taste like liver with wings, it'd be PERFECT! :confused:

Last Edited:
I prefer bismuth #5 for early season birds over decoys. For late season birds I prefer #4 bismuth. When I get this muzzleloader restored I will shoot black powder and bismuth #4 or #3 through it.

When bismuth shells came out there was a tendency for the pellets to fracture on impact. Now that the pellets are manufactured with 6% tin that problem has gone away. Bismuth lets me shoot my older guns without fear of damage to them.

Well dang, I gave up duck hunting long before the use of steel shot. But it seems to me that OP needs to give a bit more info... pass shooting, jump shooting, setting out decoys???

Reason I ask is that in my day, shot size depended on the distance of the shot. is it all different now?

Some days I just drive to the local waterfowl preserves and watch the ducks fly, flare, land, and putter around. Not much more beautiful than a flaring duck.

Griz
Non-toxic shotgun shells remain a mystery to a lot of folks. I'm old enough to know how well lead works on waterfowl and loaded both lead and steel for years. JMHO. I have tried everything out there...including super high velocity, blind side, and all the new fangled stuff. I now shoot mostly a 3" steel load with 1 1/4 oz moving at 1450 fps #2 for a solid day everyday load. Found 3 1/2 " to be a waste with heavy recoil. 3" Black Cloud and Fed Premium are two brands I know work well.
Having said that ... you will find the more $$ you can spend, the better your will kill waterfowl. Nothing will perform better than the premium shot such as hevi-shot, bismuth, tungsten, TSS types but they are crazy expensive. But if it takes you 6 more rounds to kill a cripple with steel, the spendy ones make more sense.
A good option that performs well between steel and the premium shot is hev-metal...a combination of steel and hevi.
Of course if you keep your shots under 35 yds, most cheap stuff will work.
Don't forget about your choke. I believe that an aftermarket choke like patternmaster will increase hits on birds, but I think many folks lean towards "too tite" "long range" chokes. Pattern your loads... its the best way to know.
Check out Rogers Sporting Goods for prob the best pricing around. They somehow will deliver a case of shells free shipping.
Hope this helps...good luck before the season ends.

Last Edited:
Now.... if wild duck just didn't taste like liver with wings, it'd be PERFECT! :confused:

Stop shooting schitpond ducks. :p;):D

Dress and pluck duck. Marinate in bag with full bottle of Bordeaux, parsley, and white onion overnight. Turning occasionally. When time to cook, remove duck and place in 9x13 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350F. Place baking dish in heated oven next to a clean/dry clay brick. Cook for 45 min, check to ensure interior of duck reaches 165F-180F. Remove baking dish and brick from oven. Throw away duck and eat brick.

Seriously tho, I used to buy a package of dry Russian salad dressing mix and rub down my ducks generously with it before baking. It made them "not too bad".

Stop shooting schitpond ducks. :p;):D

Dress and pluck duck. Marinate in bag with full bottle of Bordeaux, parsley, and white onion overnight. Turning occasionally. When time to cook, remove duck and place in 9x13 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350F. Place baking dish in heated oven next to a clean/dry clay brick. Cook for 45 min, check to ensure interior of duck reaches 165F-180F. Remove baking dish and brick from oven. Throw away duck and eat brick.

Seriously tho, I used to buy a package of dry Russian salad dressing mix and rub down my ducks generously with it before baking. It made them "not too bad".

Bruh, I've tried everything from a brine to stuffing the breasts with ribeye steak.... it still taste like salty to fancy liver.... HOWEVER, diced duck meat is AWESOME in the stuffing at Thanksgiving!

:s0140::s0155:

Bismuth is to expensive for me 40 to 50 bucks a box .
I mostly use heavy shot .
#1 #2 .
The 20 ga we use kent fast steel #3 only because I have cases of it lol.
I have tried it all .
Main thing get a set of good chokes one mid range and one full choke.
Carlson sells them by the set .
Pattern master is good also and Sense the season is almost over hopefully these stores that have lot's of shotgun ammo will have a sale.
Buy as much as you can and spend the summer shooting clays .

I have had great luck with Fast Steel 3" / #2's this year.

As for cooking an errant kill such as a Merganser, I pop the breasts in a bowl of milk and let it sit over night in the fridge. I go in the next day, fry up some bacon, toss the Merg in the trash and make a BLT. ;)

Bismuth is to expensive for me 40 to 50 bucks a box .
I mostly use heavy shot .
#1 #2 .
The 20 ga we use kent fast steel #3 only because I have cases of it lol.
I have tried it all .
Main thing get a set of good chokes one mid range and one full choke.
Carlson sells them by the set .
Pattern master is good also and Sense the season is almost over hopefully these stores that have lot's of shotgun ammo will have a sale.
Buy as much as you can and spend the summer shooting clays .

Yeabutt.... clays taste even worse than Mergansers.... damned punk-rocker lookin' diver ducks!!

:s0140:

The good old RED RIDER.
works great for shooting decoys.
HEHEHE. 8825 (1).jpeg 8827 (1).jpeg 8842 (1).jpeg

OMG!! It's.... its..... it's got a sawed off butt stock on it!! :eek:

:s0140:
Had to cut it down so she could shoot it.
She got it when she was 4 she's 5 now.
She is already done with the single shot BB gun.
She said she wants one that you don't have to cock it every time. It's actually not a red Rider it's the little one below a red Rider I think it is called little buck or something like that

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top