JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So... I've been informing myself about all the new gun laws that are going to pass. It might sound paranoid but... Is there a place everyone meets up at with their families when shtf?

Like in the movie "Defiance" with daniel craig? Any prepper camps i could get to with my family when the civil war starts? I would like to be hanging around people with lots of NFA items and such in case of emergency.

Please don't laugh, this is a serious question and my kids are freaking out too thinking they will take us away to a KZ.

We're all meeting at the KFC in Troutdale, but you gotta know the secret handshake.

We're all meeting at the KFC in Troutdale, but you gotta know the secret handshake.

A45A5A3E-24B8-484E-A6BA-C8E1CB19677E.jpeg

The first rule about Fight Club, Don't talk about Fight Club!:D

Sorry, Were all gonna have to fend for ourselves! Best advice I can offer is to get to know your community, especially your Sheriff and his Deputies! Get to know your neighbors and civic leaders! Any Mil personal in your A.O. would also be good to know!

@Knebel, your OP question is the proverbial "elephant in the room," so it was no surprise there were some sarcastic or humorous answers.
There is no simple "plan" because said plans depend a lot on the scenario of SHTF. Dig around on the net, you might find a decision tree for SHTF scenarios. You can use this to identify scenarios relevant to you and evaluate your preparedness.

The forum section Preparedness & Survival is a great start, with oodles of information, including:
  • top prepper sites
  • preparedness planning resources and book recommendations
  • scenario perspectives
  • communication and energy (power)
  • survival techniques
  • food, water, medical and the storage of said items.
And a whole lot more. A veritable gold mine, at NWFA, and I'm sure there's much, much more at other sites.

While it can be overwhelming, it's worthwhile to peruse the threads there, and catalog the information that you deem useful.

The point is, if you don't have one, develop a plan and start working on it. Develop a circle of trust with family, friends and neighbors. When doing so, be careful about your message and inquiry language with those folk - not all of you will see eye-to-eye on all things. Come off like a nut-job and that is what you will remain. (Not that being a nut job is a bad thing - if there are completely opposite philosophical differences, better those are established early on and dealt with).

Reassure your kids, show them you are taking action. If they are old enough, have them help.

[edit to add] There are some very deep water preppers on this site. I have had the privilege to speak with a few of them, and clearly see what an ignorant noob I am when discussing the subject. Unfortunately, some of them seldom visit any more, as they are working to eliminate their digital footprints.

Last Edited:
@Knebel , there's some good advice listed above, along with some good natured ribbing. But in all seriousness, if your kids are young, please don't burden them with adult problems that they have no control over. If they are older, say 16ish and up, have them get involved but don't freak them out. Treat it like, "This is what we'd do if there was an earthquake", or house fire, or extended power outage. Those are things that you may or may not see in your lifetime. It doesn't need to consume every waking moment. Just put a plan in place.

So... I've been informing myself about all the new gun laws that are going to pass. It might sou d paranoid but... Is there a place everyone meets up at with their families when shtf?

Like in the movie "Defiance" with daniel craig? Any prepper camps i could get to with my family when the civil war starts? I would like to be hanging around people with lots of NFA items and such in case of emergency.

Please don't laugh, this is a serious question and my kids are freaking out too thinking they will take us away to a KZ.

Kind of an odd question, but since you mention that your serious & concerned...

Prepare for the worst which is reasonable & then hope for the best.

If *you and yours* feel the worst which is reasonable, is a snow/ice storm for a week or 2, & having the power cut the entire time...then that's what you prepare for. No power. No trips to a store.

*you and yours*

If *you and yours* feal that there will be a shooting war, domestically, then that's what *you and yours* prepare for.

Pretty simple really, never put yourselves in a position to have to get on a bus. To anywhere. EVER.

Develop plans which cover multiple scenarios, but remember, they are just that. Plans.

Utilize family, and those friends which *you and yours* consider family, as anchors in your plans. Not acquentences...

Although acquaintances can remain handy, depending on the level of the problem. Neighborhood and church acquaintances, as an example.

So... I've been informing myself about all the new gun laws that are going to pass. It might sou d paranoid but... Is there a place everyone meets up at with their families when shtf?
How does informing oneself about new gun laws suddenly transition to a SHTF concern?

How does informing oneself about new gun laws suddenly transition to a SHTF concern?

Exactly. As I read the legislation it looks like there are several options.
A. Destroy your "offending arsenal" including your 22LR military grade assault weapons
B. Turn them in to the powers that be.
C. Sell them out of state.
D. Register them to the address where the powers that be can come collect them at a later date.

Al.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads