JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Catahula Leopard Dog...state dog of Louisiana bred to hunt wild boars in packs. Loyal, fearless and follows my kid around to every room in the house. And in a true SHTF situation would serve as a really tasty meal if the situation became that desperate.

I have a Catahula Leopard Dog...state dog of Louisiana bred to hunt wild boars in packs. Loyal, fearless and follows my kid around to every room in the house. And in a true SHTF situation would serve as a really tasty meal if the situation became that desperate.

:s0114: That's what my wife and I say about our Lab/Pit. He's a porky little scavenger that would make a good source of protein. :D

MaxDogHuddle.jpg

DogHeels.jpg

In the near term; You probably have enough dog food to last the near term right now...so keep the mutt....currently a German Shepherd bubblegum at the Wheeler home...

Mid term....If the emergency is lasting longer than a week or two an alert, extra set of eyes and ears is handy...I might just let her try to catch the small game that we see on our walks...I'm sure that she'd share..if I did the dishes...

mid-long term...A season has gone by and things don't appear to be stabilizing....I'd be forced to seriously evaluate migration...If I stayed and anticipated a future of reliance on immediate resource.. I'd start looking for a good breeding pair (our's is spayed) that had characteristics that were helpful....In Northern AK somethin' like a husky..In SE AK more like a Karellian (sp.)Bear dog...In E. OR id want a good bird dog...at the coast maybe a retriever or some other water dog...I don't have an estate so probably not a mastiff or dane, as much as I love 'em..In the city I'd have some sort of terrier...

In the long term.....if the emergency lasted longer than that....something like that clip I linked to...I'd take whatever dog I could befriend...all of the others....alder smoked....

I think a larger breed like a ST. Bernard would be Ideal. A little Johnny's seasoning or some sweet and sour and it may just get you through until the next meal.

Just kidding.

I have 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks...African Lion Dogs for those not familiar. My two would not be well suited for a SHTF scenario but with proper training the breed would excel in rough situations. Guard dogs and very capable of defending themselves. Perhaps just a bit to independant and hard headed for some situations though.

I dont have a dog, wife does'nt like 'em and since I have her to keep me warm at night.... anyhow depends on the SHTF if a dog started barking while I wanted to be in hiding while some 10 or 15 BG's were roaming around I would not like it.

That is a **** of a situation for most,i have a chesapeake bay, choc lab mix ,he weighs in at 95 solid pounds.he hears ev erything that goes bump in the night.yet he has no problem taking the average guy to the ground when he is mad.yet he swims like an otter and on the retrieve he will not bark,but he will bark if he fells something is wrong .but i have no problem putting him down for my families safety at any point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top