Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shtf dog?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by SanBlas, Jan 9, 2010.

1. SanBlas

SanBlas Silverdale,Wa Member

I see all these threads on what guns and vehicle is the best to take when SHTF. What About a dog? I Have 4 Bullys (3 are Half AmericanBulldog(jackson) And RedNose Pit, And the other one is all rednose pit. That i trained to track and hunt as a pack and attack on command.

Just wondering what everyone else has.:D

Picture004.jpg

2. sbryson21

sbryson21 Nampa, ID Member

I'll feel pretty good bringing my pit bull

3. arjunki

arjunki Beaverton Active Member

------------------------------------
    Did somebody just finish watching the movie "The Road" ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfXTAY :D

4. SanBlas

No Havent Seen It, Just was wondering i got pack from training the Pups, and if im the only one that thinks about training my dogs

5. sbryson21

sbryson21 Nampa, ID Member

I think having good dogs would be a great asset in the end of the world. That's why they've been used in wars and police forces forever

6. kentsboots

kentsboots Oregon Member

I think the best dog would be one that is loyal to the end. Either way, for every dog, thats one more "mouth to feed" factor to figure in.

7. Yankeefan

Yankeefan Southern Oregon Member

This...especially the last part....that said I wouldn't leave my German Shpeard behind for nothing.

8. SanBlas

I Agree may be another mouth to feed but there a great asset,if you train them right and our somewhat of a woodsman, you wont have a problem to feed them.

9. isher

isher Clallam County Member

Akita.

isher

10. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

I have a Norwegian elkhound/Wolf hybrid pup and want a Choco lab..

11. Wheeler44

Wheeler44 SW Washington Member

12. Heeler, loyal to death, feels no pain, bred to go on long cattle drives with little to no food or water for days. smart and protective.
    Blue heelers are my choice, I've heard reds can have issues with kids if not carefully supervised.
    Kyle

13. Humpyslayer

Humpyslayer Kent Member

If my dog would ever listen to me, he'd probably make a good dog for that kind of situation. He's half chow, half lab, and is 6 months old and about 80 pounds.

14. HenryJ

HenryJ Eastern Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'll second the cattle dog. Smart as they get, fast and sharp. Small enough that the don't eat you out of house and home, especially if you don't have one. They offer warmth, companionship, defense and as a very last resort...sustenance.

15. jmh119

jmh119 Hillsboro, Oregon Member

I will warn you now. don't get on his bad side! watch out! :bluelaugh:

DSCN0613_800x600.jpg

16. Starship

Starship NE Portland Active Member

Bullmastiff!

Ours is named Brinks (our home security system) and goes about 140lbs. Would chew through a wall to save my wife. Most likely would bring a stick to the guy that was after me....:)
    Good chance the wife spoils him.....Geez, maybe I should start.

17. kentsboots

kentsboots Oregon Member

German shepherd we had when i was little was the best dog I ever met. She was great with us kids and did everything you told her. Never had to close our gate, she would always stop at the end of the driveway. Great guard dog too, attacked some drunk that hopped our fence one night.

guess its all in the upbringing tho.

18. Beagle

Beagle Puyallup WA Member

I guess it would depend on where i ended up. if i was up in the woods ya know i'm going to say beagles. if nothing else they can help get the food not eat it all.:thumbup: if i was going to be in a area that was well populated then i would go with a pitbull since i have owned them before that would be my choices.

19. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

In a SHTF survival type scenario...your big tough dog will simply get shot trying to protect you.

Assuming it doesnt get shot, you still have the logistical issues of feeding it and cleaning up after it.

Go ahead and laugh but the best "survival" dog might very well be my neurotic little toy poodle. He weighs about 7 lbs, eats only a handful of kibble per day, and his poop is about the size of a Tootsie roll. I can fit him in a coat pocket.

He is hyper alert. He lays on the back of the couch and looks out the front window all day. If anyone walks up to the door, he will bark at them. Its a shrill, annoying bark that is guranteed to wake me up.

I dont want a dog that will bite. All I want is a dog that will wake me up so that I can decide who needs to be bitten, and how hard.

20. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Well if it comes to protecting me well my English Bulldog would stop almost anything. But when it comes to a warning well the wifes Frenchie can here a cricket fart and will let you know about it:laugh: While the English is snoring away.