JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going to chime in here and say; Bought a 597 for my eldest about 8 years ago. The only issue I've had was a worn out mag which got replaced. Clean out the extractor and you are generally good. Just sayin' I wouldn't turn my nose up at getting another one for the safe.

Trade off the Remington on the highy regarded 10-22, or a good used Mossberg or Marlin, semi or bolt. Keep the Marlin youth rifle, just cuz. Never hurts to have a functional single-shot .22 around. Ive got a 10-22 that worked fine when I stuck it in the closet 20 years ago and a decent Mossberg bolt repeater that was my first rifle and it worked all my life, still does. Only changes made to it was the installation of a Weaver scope to replace the original scope which got ruined in a Michigan snowstorm years ago. And a replacement leather sling.
Sounds like you have a deeper problem tho, that may work to prevent you from getting any more firearms- a disapproving wife. My suggestion comes from experience.. as much as possible keep the true number and values of your firearms AWAY from her. What she doesnt know about her attorney can't file for in a "settlement". This is my advice, no matter how well you're getting along, or how lovey-dovie she is. Women can change :eek:faster than the weather. Just sayin, BT,DT... YMMV!

Last Edited:
Dump the Remington. Get a 10/22. I hated them forever but dang it. They work right ALL the time and there are so many add ons. Around Black Friday you should be able to get one for $175 at sportsmans or bimart. This year with the drop in prices, maybe less.

Can't recommend them highly enough.

Now for a second rifle get a Savage mkII. Best bolt action for a good price.

Just a thought... your Remington could possibly become swap fodder.

I can't count the trades I've made over the decades, but one was a .22 Glenfield model 60 that I gave to a gun shop in exchange for a tune up on a far superior but sometimes moody 10/22.

Went there with two iffy .22's and left with one that I continue to enjoy 30+ years later.

If that youth rifle is in good condition, it will bring a price not too far below a new one and it will likely be sold quickly. Kids outgrow stuff like that and the market is good.
The Remington? Yup, sell it. Unless there is a sentimental reason for it's ownership, cut it loose. I've sold lots of guns that didn't "light my fire" and I hate unreliable things. (yeah, I've also sold a lot of bubblegum I wish I hadn't!)

Then, I would look for an older model because I don't have great desires to make serious changes to it. If I was wanting to make a "hot rod" out of it, I'd probably buy new.

So after a long deliberation, I'm dropping $75 into the 597 to see if it becomes as reliable a gun (post-fix) as the stories i'm reading. If not, then it'll be sold / traded for an upgrade in something.

Was able to save enough for my first AR, so not so dependent on the cash (from the potential sales of these), so hopefully that'll happen soon.

Going to still sell the Marlin youth rifle, as it literally is as ineffective an adult firearm as can be.

Thanks everyone for your input, it definitely helped me out.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top