JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings, relatively new to the forum. Can anyone tell me, definitively, what the current Oregon laws are for person to person sales in and out of the state of Oregon? I've done a bit of research on this forum but do not claim to be a proficient user of the site. The information I've found seems to be sporadic and dated, addressing specific instances/conditions. So I'm asking for help, I would like to sell some hunting guns I no longer use, shotguns and rifles. Here are my questions:

- What is required to sell a shotgun or bolt action rifle directly to another Oregon citizen? I'm hearing that all transactions have to go through an FFL licensed person, that a check is run on the gun to see if its stolen and a background check on the recipient. And that the recipient is fingerprinted and a permanent record made of the sale. Is that true?
- What if the recipient is from another state such as Washington or Idaho?
- Does it matter where the transaction takes place, whether its in Oregon or the resident state of the recipient?

Please assist if you can, references to specific statues are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Greetings, relatively new to the forum. Can anyone tell me, definitively, what the current Oregon laws are for person to person sales in and out of the state of Oregon? I've done a bit of research on this forum but do not claim to be a proficient user of the site. The information I've found seems to be sporadic and dated, addressing specific instances/conditions. So I'm asking for help, I would like to sell some hunting guns I no longer use, shotguns and rifles. Here are my questions:

- What is required to sell a shotgun or bolt action rifle directly to another Oregon citizen? I'm hearing that all transactions have to go through an FFL licensed person, that a check is run on the gun to see if its stolen and a background check on the recipient. And that the recipient is fingerprinted and a permanent record made of the sale. Is that true?
- What if the recipient is from another state such as Washington or Idaho?
- Does it matter where the transaction takes place, whether its in Oregon or the resident state of the recipient?

Please assist if you can, references to specific statues are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Have you done any online research? Fairly easy to look up local laws. Or check in with local FFLs and see what they have to say since they do it on regular basis.

Didn't you sell three guns a couple weeks ago?
Curious about this too. Looks like some sales have been made recently. So how were those handled?

I can't comment on out-of-state sales, but the current legal framework requires that you go through an FFL. Below is an excerpt from the Oregon Firearms Safety Act which has been in effect since 2015:
  1. Private-party firearm transfers must be conducted through a licensed firearm dealer while both parties (owner of the firearm and proposed recipient or purchaser) are present.
  2. A firearm dealer who agrees to complete the transfer shall request a background check on the transferee and shall comply with all requirements of federal law.
Hope that helps.

Have you done any online research? Fairly easy to look up local laws. Or check in with local FFLs and see what they have to say since they do it on regular basis.

Curious about this too. Looks like some sales have been made recently. So how were those handled?

I can't comment on out-of-state sales, but the current legal framework requires that you go through an FFL. Below is an excerpt from the Oregon Firearms Safety Act which has been in effect since 2015:
  1. Private-party firearm transfers must be conducted through a licensed firearm dealer while both parties (owner of the firearm and proposed recipient or purchaser) are present.
  2. A firearm dealer who agrees to complete the transfer shall request a background check on the transferee and shall comply with all requirements of federal law.
Hope that helps.
Yes it does, thanks. I should have known better than to have loosely started this thread, my bad. And experience the probing questions whose purpose I'm not sure of. My interest is selling a shotgun to someone in another state, something I haven't done before.

After a couple hours of online research I determined current Oregon laws are outlined in ORS Chapter 166, specifically Section 166.435 which specifies requirements for unlicensed person to person sales but also Sections 166.432, 433, 436, and 438 which concern gun shows. I've read Section 166.435 in detail, it does not specifically address in-person sales to persons from other states when they are in Oregon. Thus I will assume that as long as Oregon law is followed, it is permitted

Section 166.490 Purchase of firearms in certain other states covers purchases made by Oregon citizens in contiguous states but not in person sales to residents of those states.

The state in question is Washington. RCW 9.41.122 Out of state purchasing says; Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That when any part of the transaction takes place in Washington , including, but not limited to, internet sales, such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter.

I'm not sure what qualifies as 'eligible', will have to do more homework on that.

And experience the probing questions whose purpose I'm not sure of.
1708576206496.png

If you are selling to a Washington resident, typically you ship to his licensed FFL with a copy of your Oregon Driver's License. Or you can cross the border and do so in person at the agreed upon FFL's Place of business. FFL will advise if there is other information needed. It's pretty straightforward for the seller.

Dunno, I buy and sell long guns/shotguns at garage sales. :s0092:
IN 40 years of going to garage sels I think I have seen less then a dozen guns for sale. And half of those were the crazy guy across the street who used to take all manor of stuff in on trade from rebuilding auto transmissions. One garage sale he had a snowmobile and a small pool table!

Yes it does, thanks. I should have known better than to have loosely started this thread, my bad. And experience the probing questions whose purpose I'm not sure of. My interest is selling a shotgun to someone in another state, something I haven't done before.

After a couple hours of online research I determined current Oregon laws are outlined in ORS Chapter 166, specifically Section 166.435 which specifies requirements for unlicensed person to person sales but also Sections 166.432, 433, 436, and 438 which concern gun shows. I've read Section 166.435 in detail, it does not specifically address in-person sales to persons from other states when they are in Oregon. Thus I will assume that as long as Oregon law is followed, it is permitted

Section 166.490 Purchase of firearms in certain other states covers purchases made by Oregon citizens in contiguous states but not in person sales to residents of those states.

The state in question is Washington. RCW 9.41.122 Out of state purchasing says; Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That when any part of the transaction takes place in Washington , including, but not limited to, internet sales, such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter.

I'm not sure what qualifies as 'eligible', will have to do more homework on that.
Easiest would be to call, or walk into & ask your local FFL.

Is the Washington resident buying it in person at / thru your FFL? Ask your FFL.

Is the Washington resident asking you to ship it to there WA FFL? Ask your FFL, &/or call there WA FFL...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top