JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I've been looking to get back into shooting. With that, I've been debating this internally for some time, and while I think I've made a decision - I'd like some outside input in case there's an angle or point I haven't thought of.

So, I currently own a stock Remington 597 and a Marlin 915y. I've had various issues with my 597, and everything I've read says to dump a min. of about $50 into it for parts (which availability for them seems to be few and far between) to make it run smooth. As far as the Marlin goes, well - it's a single shot kids rifle, so...

My thought is to sell / trade them and pick up a 10/22. Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, etc. to add to why this or is not a good idea? Appreciate any feedback.

Seldom, you'll regret KEEPING a gun. ;)

Having a 10/22 is almost MANDATORY in one's collection to achieve true completeness. :D

I used to own one a long time ago, but sold it to help pay for my wedding, and never got one to replace. Typically I'd agree with your statement, but when finances and angry wives come into play, one must make tough decisions. lol.

In the long run.......it is cheeper and you will have "a more harmonious outcome" (as Wilford Brimley would say)................trading the wife.

I used to own one a long time ago, but sold it to help pay for my wedding, and never got one to replace. Typically I'd agree with your statement, but when finances and angry wives come into play, one must make tough decisions. lol.

If your getting back into guns, you better get her use to seeing you come home with new stuff (or new to you). There is no 'just one gun'... they multiply.

Just point out that her $189 shoes are worthless and you can get 90% of your money back (if you buy it used - 80% if you buy new) even after you play with it

To sell a gun in this market is border line insanity. You will be hard pressed to get enough out of either of your 22s to justify the sale. I know about financial woes... trust me, but it in another 2 years or so when the panic sets back in the values will start to rise again, you'll regret selling them. a10/22, can be found used for just over $100 if you are vigilant and many shops will let you pay over 3 months... It's possible to have your cake and eat it too.

OK, I'll be the one to say it. Neither one of those rifles are worth hanging on to. If you're hooked on staying with .22LR, dump them both and grab a 10/22. Even better a Smith 15-22.

You'll never have to worry about a bad magazine or being picky on ammo with a 10/22. Let's face it guys, the Remington 597 is not a great rifle. That's a fact.

Can you be more specific on your 597's issues? It may be as simple as bad mag, or that your rifle is picky with ammo.

extraction failures and similar issues, which are common to the 597 from what I've read. No matter the ammo i feed through it, there was always some kind of issue with clearing a mag without problems.

You'll never have to worry about a bad magazine or being picky on ammo with a 10/22. Let's face it guys, the Remington 597 is not a great rifle. That's a fact.
But he already has it... We used to sing a song in sunday school about buying new guns and keeping the old... one is silver and the others gold.

extraction failures and similar issues, which are common to the 597 from what I've read. No matter the ammo i feed through it, there was always some kind of issue with clearing a mag without problems.

Yup, typical 597. I had one for maybe a month and dumped it after I couldn't get it to reliably shoot ANY of the various ammo I tried. Really, the 597 is notorious for being problematic. Yes, there are guys that get lucky and get a "good" one. But overall, I think they're junk.

But he already has it... We used to sing a song in sunday school about buying new guns and keeping the old... one is silver and the others gold.

I know, and his OP is asking if he should sell it........

Why hang on to a crappy gun? Just to keep the head count up? Not me. If I don't like a firearm or I find it to be unreliable, it's down the road.

So, I've been looking to get back into shooting. With that, I've been debating this internally for some time, and while I think I've made a decision - I'd like some outside input in case there's an angle or point I haven't thought of.

So, I currently own a stock Remington 597 and a Marlin 915y. I've had various issues with my 597, and everything I've read says to dump a min. of about $50 into it for parts (which availability for them seems to be few and far between) to make it run smooth. As far as the Marlin goes, well - it's a single shot kids rifle, so...

My thought is to sell / trade them and pick up a 10/22. Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, etc. to add to why this or is not a good idea? Appreciate any feedback.

I love the 10/22. Have only 2 right now which for me is a low number. As with all guns they are not for everyone but the aftermarket will show you just how popular they are. There is a reason for this. As for the ones you have. Do they have any value to you, as in would you miss them later if sold? If so keep them and get the 10/22. The 10/22 is a lot like an AR. You can buy one and start changing stuff and "customize" it to your taste quite easy.

I know, and his OP is asking if he should sell it........

Why hang on to a crappy gun? Just to keep the head count up? Not me. If I don't like a firearm or I find it to be unreliable, it's down the road.
I say keep it because it is a proven lemon, and to ethically pass it on he would need to divulge that info and in an already crappy market, the sale price would have to be awfully low... not worth selling IMO.

I say keep it because it is a proven lemon, and to ethically pass it on he would need to divulge that info and in an already crappy market, the sale price would have to be awfully low... not worth selling IMO.

Again, he said due to finances and such he has to sell/trade them if he wants a 10/22. He could take them both to a gun shop or pawn shop (with an FFL) and get pretty close to a used 10/22 for them.

I would not necessarily go with a 10/22 even though they are the Glocks of the .22 rifle world. I have a Glenfield (Marlin) Model 60 18+1 tube and wouldn't trade it for a stock 10/22. I also own a Henry Golden Boy, which I love, but stuck with iron sights. Both are long heavy barrels and very accurate. Unless you like spending a lot of money to upgrade the 10/22, look elsewhere.

I would not necessarily go with a 10/22 even though they are the Glocks of the .22 rifle world. I have a Glenfield (Marlin) Model 60 18+1 tube and wouldn't trade it for a stock 10/22. I also own a Henry Golden Boy, which I love, but stuck with iron sights. Both are long heavy barrels and very accurate. Unless you like spending a lot of money to upgrade the 10/22, look elsewhere.
I am not a Ruger fan with a couple of notable exceptions.....there is nothing better for the money than a 10-22. I have one that has been worn out and rebuilt twice. It now sports a laminated adult size stock and a 16" heavy target barrel. My 9 year old grandson can light a match with it at 50 feet. We can also do it with either my Anchutz or Walter target rifles but those are both over 1000.00 rifles. The 10-22 is the sport 22 that everything else is compared to. The Ruger also feeds everything from sub-sonic to the hottest 22 ammo that you can buy. For decades, I shot a Remington 552 Speedmaster because it would feed anything from a 22 short to long rifle....but the Ruger fills the need while using a removable magazine and simple parts interchangeability. For a lot less money.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top