JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Again, he said due to finances and such he has to sell/trade them if he wants a 10/22. He could take them both to a gun shop or pawn shop (with an FFL) and get pretty close to a used 10/22 for them.
I don't disagree... but if a shop gave him more than $20 for the 597 I'd be surprised. The Marlin isn't a bad gun though... a guy should always have at least one bolt .22 around and being youth size just makes it more portable.... great BOB gun.

I don't disagree... but if a shop gave him more than $20 for the 597 I'd be surprised. The Marlin isn't a bad gun though... a guy should always have at least one bolt .22 around and being youth size just makes it more portable.... great BOB gun.

I agree that a good bolt gun is a great BOB piece. But his is a single shot youth gun......not my first choice. As far as the 597, I really don't know what they go for on the used/trade market but you may be right.

I would not necessarily go with a 10/22 even though they are the Glocks of the .22 rifle world. I have a Glenfield (Marlin) Model 60 18+1 tube and wouldn't trade it for a stock 10/22. I also own a Henry Golden Boy, which I love, but stuck with iron sights. Both are long heavy barrels and very accurate. Unless you like spending a lot of money to upgrade the 10/22, look elsewhere.
Used model 60s can be had for less than $100 and are an excellent option. I got one for my daughters birthday for $99... and that was 2 years ago before the prices tanked. That said it's tube fed rather than mag, and less customizable. Good or bad things depending on how you look at it. 10/22s advantages are also hard on your wallet... shoot more ammo, buy more parts.
Accuracy and reliability(what really matters) are excellent with both.

I will agree that a Model 60 is a good rifle, but the OP specifically asked about the 10/22 so I am assuming he wants magazine fed. Frankly he couldn't go wrong with either.

Was in a gun shop over the weekend and watched them buy a older 10/22 with metal trigger in 95% condition for $100. Guy next to me bought 2 minutes later for $120 + $10 for the BGC. Right now deals can be had. Buy whilst the buyin is good cause selling is not.

I would not necessarily go with a 10/22 even though they are the Glocks of the .22 rifle world. I have a Glenfield (Marlin) Model 60 18+1 tube and wouldn't trade it for a stock 10/22. I also own a Henry Golden Boy, which I love, but stuck with iron sights. Both are long heavy barrels and very accurate. Unless you like spending a lot of money to upgrade the 10/22, look elsewhere.

That's exactly what I have and would say - but mines a plain Henery and it's a great load of fun.

Marlin 60 (stock) I bought at 18 out shot 90% of Ruger 10/22's, even heavily modified ones, at a speed shoot. Came in 3rd overall with that and an walther p22, both iron sights.

Only downside if it even is one is the tube fed mag.

That's exactly what I have and would say - but mines a plain Henery and it's a great load of fun.

Marlin 60 (stock) I bought at 18 out shot 90% of Ruger 10/22's, even heavily modified ones, at a speed shoot. Came in 3rd overall with that and an walther p22, both iron sights.

Only downside if it even is one is the tube fed mag.
They do make speed loaders for tubular magazines. Haven't tried one yet, but can carry several reloads to more than 100 rounds.

If you can find one that has the 18 round tube, I'd grab it.
They do make speed loaders for tubular magazines. Haven't tried one yet, but can carry several reloads to more than 100 rounds.
I was just going to bring that up... 87400536-EF50-4343-9207-5DD1B672D6C8-3728-000005D8539C0514_tmp.jpg
Or you can make your own with some tubing...

76E29735-6359-47CD-9FCE-FB8ACDDD6944-3728-000005D84028978A_tmp.jpg

Or... get really creative and do this

It wouldn't hurt anything to take a few picks and post your guns up for trade here in the classifieds... Could be that a member wants a good first rifle for thier kid and/or likes Remington 597's, and would be willing to trade for something you would like better. Just be forthright with the issues you have, and maybe offer to throw in a few bucks to even things out if need be. Never know.

Both are long heavy barrels and very accurate.

At one point I subscribed to the theory that 'only' long heavy barrels were really accurate. And I had only 1 10/22 that proved my theory....the Target 10/22 hammer barrel version that I loved. At one point it put 25 shots at 75 yards, I could barely jam my thumb thru the cluster.

Then a buddy brought over his elCheapo 10/22 he personally modified for 100 yrd precision competition. 18" Volq carbon fiber barrel & certain other mods made his shoot groups far smaller at the same distance.

I was never a 'mod your 10/22' fan, and still ain't....although the money I got from my old T10/22 buys a lot of ammo for the elCheapo. I changed the stock & added red dot & it is absolutely smashing for such as speed steel. It's performance, at about 1/2 the weight of my old long-barreled anvil, is equally at home out to 100 yards. And there is something satisfying about switching to even a cheapO scope that actually does work fine at 100 yards.

OP: There's a world of answers out there, it really depends on which question you ask. I'm with the group that advises get the wife used to seeing new upgraded gear coming in & out.

You're likely to get more satisfaction out of a rifle that actually works. Good luck.

So, I've been looking to get back into shooting. With that, I've been debating this internally for some time, and while I think I've made a decision - I'd like some outside input in case there's an angle or point I haven't thought of.

So, I currently own a stock Remington 597 and a Marlin 915y. I've had various issues with my 597, and everything I've read says to dump a min. of about $50 into it for parts (which availability for them seems to be few and far between) to make it run smooth. As far as the Marlin goes, well - it's a single shot kids rifle, so...

My thought is to sell / trade them and pick up a 10/22. Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, etc. to add to why this or is not a good idea? Appreciate any feedback.
might as well.. be the arrow!

At one point I subscribed to the theory that 'only' long heavy barrels were really accurate. And I had only 1 10/22 that proved my theory....the Target 10/22 hammer barrel version that I loved. At one point it put 25 shots at 75 yards, I could barely jam my thumb thru the cluster.

Then a buddy brought over his elCheapo 10/22 he personally modified for 100 yrd precision competition. 18" Volq carbon fiber barrel & certain other mods made his shoot groups far smaller at the same distance.

I was never a 'mod your 10/22' fan, and still ain't....although the money I got from my old T10/22 buys a lot of ammo for the elCheapo. I changed the stock & added red dot & it is absolutely smashing for such as speed steel. It's performance, at about 1/2 the weight of my old long-barreled anvil, is equally at home out to 100 yards. And there is something satisfying about switching to even a cheapO scope that actually does work fine at 100 yards.

OP: There's a world of answers out there, it really depends on which question you ask. I'm with the group that advises get the wife used to seeing new upgraded gear coming in & out.

You're likely to get more satisfaction out of a rifle that actually works. Good luck.

By heavy, I am referring to the contour, not necessarily the weight. At about 16" most .22 ammo has put as much energy into the bullet as it is going to. The bullet can even slow with a longer barrel. Not the case with the Marlin Micro-groove. It is about 22" and not real heavy, about the same as the 10/22. The Henry is a 20" Octagon and is heavy. Long barrels are not more accurate just because of length. It has to do more with twist rate and groove and lands diameter (and ammo). The stock 10/22s have a tapered barrel, making them lighter, but giving up stiffness - more prone to vibration. Not a big deal with .22 ammo, but a stiffer barrel could give better accuracy. It sounds like your elCheapo is a keeper, belying physics.

It sounds like your elCheapo is a keeper, belying physics.
I think the combination of applied tinkering by a certified OCD precision rifle fiend to achieve a given mission was responsible. Of course the high $$ carbon fiber barrel & Kidd trigger etc etc helped.

I remain astonished how accurate and light weight the package is given the humble origin low cost. The donor receiver 10/22 was bought new on special for $139 about 10 years ago. Of course it doesn't throw lead as precisely as his Anshutz custom with the $600 sights, yet for a fraction of the real precision bolt 22, I've reconsidered just what parameters meet my own needs.

You just don't get enough money to even waste the time selling a 22. Just buy another, and another, and another. Unfortunately, I only have 4 and I'd love another 3 or 4 (I'd like a 22/45 Mark IV, a S&W 617, maybe a SP101 in 22, and I could always build up another 10/22 for fun). 22's are just not a gun that is worth selling off, not to mention they won't sell easily anyway. If you don't like it much, why would someone else like it, unless you are virtually giving it away?

These discussions become rhetorical, so I'll add my own rhetoric.

There are two issues here. Keep the 597 or get a 10/22? I say do both. Save your money up for a 10/22 cuz they are great and simple guns that work as designed, more often than not. And I'm of the school that other than the trigger, I don't do much after market work with them. I would suggest too, that if a feller thinks he has average or mediocre accuracy with a 10/22, try a box of high dollar target ammo, just one time, and you'll see just how accurate an out of the box rifle can be. That's it for my 10/22 sales pitch. I've owned and or shot dozens, and I think they are great. My most recent is a completely stock (other than the trigger), what they call the Tactical model. Nothing tactical about it, and I don't know why they named it Tactical. It's a 10/22 with a short bull barrel and Hogue stock. It's surprisingly and pleasingly accurate with hunting and plinking ammo, but when I put target ammo in it, the accuracy is breathtaking. Gee. Maybe that wasn't the end of my sales pitch after all.

Next...The 597. Immediately I thought of visually looking at the interface between the bolt face, the extractor, and the cartridge rim. Even a 10/22 sometimes doesn't have an optimum extractor. A little cleaning or filing to make the extractor grab the rim as designed could make a world of difference. Or...Hold your horses Pilgrim! If you're not feeling adventurous, you could buy a Volquartsen extractor for thirty bucks and have instant success. Thirty dollars to make the gun work as designed, or sell the gun as-is, disclosing it doesn't operate reliably, and maybe get 50 to 75 bucks for it. I think you'd be money ahead buying the extractor.

And a single shot bolt gun like your Marlin? It'll never be worth a lot, but folks are often looking for a single shot rifle with youthful dimensions. Should sell easily. I have found that a youth sized gun is often a great truck gun.

Last Edited:
I know, and his OP is asking if he should sell it........

Why hang on to a crappy gun? Just to keep the head count up? Not me. If I don't like a firearm or I find it to be unreliable, it's down the road.
How do you move it on down the road without investing in repairs (which in this case wouldn't yield much of a return), disclosing the problem (honorable, but again with a diminished return), or passing your problems on to someone else on the sly, which is kind of a punk move?

A 10-22 is a great rifle , one that there is a ton of parts and accessories for , plus they just seem to work.
That said they really don't do much for me...
I much prefer a good old fashioned bolt action .22 rifle.

As for selling a .22 rifle , nowadays at least where I live , unless the .22 is super cheap in price it can be difficult to sell... And even I have heard of the issues regarding the Remington 597 series of rifles...:D

I'd suggest as others before have said ... Save up your pennies and shop around , rather than try to sell either.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top