JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your preferred shotgun brand?

• Rem 870 and the like Pump

Votes: 44 29.9%
  • Mossburg 500-590 etc Pump

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • Rem Simi auto

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Moss Simi auto

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Chiapa (spelling lol)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Benelli (sp?)

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Beretta (sp?

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other Pump

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Other Simi

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • What's a Shotgun?

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
My Remington Sportsman, military version. Has the ordnance stamps on the receiver and barrel.
It's awesome at skeet, lol. Bought it while on leave from basic training about a thousand years ago.

View attachment 396499 View attachment 396500

And it will run another thousand years, a fine weapon well worth the little extra weight to carry, if you are strong or a young man it is easy, elderly less felt recoil than a light model I would bet? Don't forget the brass ring and steel collar change for high and low brass, or high and low pressure created in the case of your reloads.

And it will run another thousand years, a fine weapon well worth the little extra weight to carry, if you are strong or a young man it is easy, elderly less felt recoil than a light model I would bet? Don't forget the brass ring and steel collar change for high and low brass, or high and low pressure created in the case of your reloads.
It is indeed quite the beast. I'm fine with the recoil. It handles everything 2 3/4 just fine. I never put reloads through it. Only thing I ever had to replace was a pawl and the forearm stock which developed a split. Found a new one through Numrich in west Hurley,NY.

It is indeed quite the beast. I'm fine with the recoil. It handles everything 2 3/4 just fine. I never put reloads through it. Only thing I ever had to replace was a pawl and the forearm stock which developed a split. Found a new one through Numrich in west Hurley,NY.

Apart from shooting skeet and trap with my old light 12 when Winchester AA s were $2.00 a box new, Every 1-1/2 ounce field load and many cases of one ounce 7-1/2 loads, after I had acquired the hulls, were all reloads. Once I started loading and patterned my work on paper I never looked at factory ammunition again.

My dads cousins shoot 1,000's of rounds a month and stopped reloading because lead got too expensive and it was easier to just buy it in bulk.

I don't shoot nearly as much or as often so $20 for 100 shells is affordable fun for me.

Apart from shooting skeet and trap with my old light 12 when Winchester AA s were $2.00 a box new, Every 1-1/2 ounce field load and many cases of one ounce 7-1/2 loads, after I had acquired the hulls, were all reloads. Once I started loading and patterned my work on paper I never looked at factory ammunition again.
Off the shelf loads have been fine for my shooting. I don't have the need for such specifics for my boom stick.

I interpreted "other simi" as any gun not listed in the poll.
I'm a break action single shot guy.
I used my brother's 94 Savage 16 ga. as a kid and I've been quite happy with my H&R 20 ga. for about 30 years now.
Of course, my old Stevens 511 was a tack driver and my dad's 1100 lightweight is a dream to shoot, too. =)

Shotguns_Mine&Bros.jpg

Dean

Last Edited:
This is my 18.5" Mossberg 590A1 and my 18" SLP. The 590A1 has a TLR1s and SLP has a the older 630 lumen TLR-1 HR. The SLP has a tape switch to turn light light on.

84F573C8-F153-4F10-ACD4-93691F1C1A73.jpeg

Fighting scatter guns of foweling, first choice is always ether a Rammy 870 super or a Mossy 835 super! For more traditional across the board, it's gotta be a Winchester 1897, and for a super slick mounted sub weapon, a Savage 12! All well proven and capable!
When I want a semi auto, a A5 for those timeless classic looks and feel, and for more modern high speed low drag bombproof hunting, it' a Remmy 1187 super! I have run all the slick and trick semis and keep going back to Ol'Reliable 1187. The one I really wanted to like was the Winchester Super SX, but it had some reliability issues with the gas system!

Last Edited:
Lol, no need tfor the the flak jacket, yea, the 97 is old, but boy is it reliable and sorta sexy too especially as all the glueing has worn off and the wood is so dark from sweat and use! The take down is even slicker and can be stored in two pieces while still loaded, and it's still one of the very few shotguns that can be slam fired on purpose!

Fighting scatter guns of foweling, first choice is always ether a Rammy 870 super or a Mossy 835 super! For more traditional across the board, it's gotta be a Winchester 1897, and for a super slick mounted sub weapon, a Savage 12! All well proven and capable!
When I want a semi auto, a A5 for those timeless classic looks and feel, and for more modern high speed low drag bombproof hunting, it' a Remmy 1187 super! I have run all the slick and trick semis and keep going back to Ol'Reliable 1187. The one I really wanted to like was the Winchester Super SX, but it had some reliability issues with the gas system!
LOL! "Ol' Reliable" 11-87.
To me, that's still a new gun! :D
I love my little 20 ga. Topper, but my dad picked up an 1100 lightweight in 20 ga. with a 26" modified barrel back in the late 70's.
When I was 15, I didn't like that gun. It felt clumsy in my hands. I was happier with my brothers Savage 94, but I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn door with it (oh well, its all about the father-son bonding moments, right? riiiight:rolleyes:).
A few years ago, I dusted off that ol' 1100 and took it out to a range.
Wow! What a sweet little shooter!
I don't know what the hell was wrong with me 35-40 years earlier, but man! Nice balance, tracks smoothly. 20 ga. Rabbit & Squirrel loads are so mild you don't even notice the shot, but the clay breaks every time.
This thing handles like a sports car!
...so now, I have two favourites. :p:D

Dean

Last Edited:
I used to be an 870 guy, but Remington QC and cost cutting has damaged my perception of the gun. I have had three in five years that ended up breaking. This, and several M700s that also had to go back to the factory.

Now, I'm a Mossberg guy when it comes to pump shotguns. My 590A1 with aperture sights and standard capacity magazine tube is one of my favorite big game guns when I'm hunting timber.

I used to be an 870 guy, but Remington QC and cost cutting has damaged my perception of the gun. I have had three in five years that ended up breaking. This, and several M700s that also had to go back to the factory.

Now, I'm a Mossberg guy when it comes to pump shotguns. My 590A1 with aperture sights and standard capacity magazine tube is one of my favorite big game guns when I'm hunting timber.

Same here. I was a diehard Remmy guy but again their QC has gone so far down the tubes. I run a 930SPX now.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top