JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a mossberg 500 defender, i have and extra barrell for hunting... this weapon holds 7 in the mag, question is.. if i put in a "plug" to limit the mag to 2 rounds , is this legal for hunting, and what kind of "plug " does it have to be?

yes, the 5rd mossbergs usually come with a dowel restricting the tube to 2 shells. You can cut a wooden down to the correct length and put it in the tube inside the spring (on the other side of the follower as the shells.

I have a ? along this line (Don't want to steal thread)
Some areas in Oregon you are required to use a shot gun for big game hunting. Are you limited to 3 shells or 5 like a rifle???

OK have been going over the big game Reg's. the only thing I have found is hunt 214g master hunter shotgun only, hunt 217B shotgun only. have not yet found anything YET that
limits capacity. But you know the Reg's.Thay are hard to read and find what you want answers too.

While hunting for birds, your shotgun can not have a capacity greater than three rounds! (one in the hole & two in the mag)
Big game hunting is different. Most people will tell you, your centerfire firearm can not have a magazine capacity greater than five, BUT, if you read the regs, they only specify this with "semiautomatic rifles".

CENTERFIRE FIREARM
■ Fully automatic firearms prohibited.
■
Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited
(except for western gray squirrel).
■ Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.
■ Hunters may use any muzzleloader with any ignition type, except matchlock, any legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet type during
centerfire firearm seasons, provided the weapon meets caliber restriction for the species

The above post is true other wise a good old Winchester model 94 30-30 would not be legal for hunting as they hold 7 rounds if I remember correctly. Could be 7 + 1

One thing to MAKE SURE is that if you are hunting birds with a 2+1 max and your not using the factory installed plug. You make absolutely sure that no matter how hard you push you can't get 3) 2.75" shells into that Magazine. Just because your using 3" or 3.5" shells doesn't mean that is what the Game Wardens State or Federal or a cop will use.

We have been stopped on the boat ramp at Waldport and had Federal Game Officers ask to check our guns, They reached in their pockets and pulled out a hand full of shells to check the Magazine capacity with. We were well within the rule of law so no problems. They even looked in my day bag for any breasted birds.

Yes the above post is true but bird reg's have nothing to do with the ques.and neither does the other information.

think I'll call the game dept. in the morning.

Yes the above post is true but bird reg's have nothing to do with the ques.and neither does the other information.

think I'll call the game dept. in the morning.

I don't see where the OP mentioned what kind of hunting he was interested in knowing the law about.

shotgun capacity for hunting?

I have a mossberg 500 defender, i have and extra barrell for hunting... this weapon holds 7 in the mag, question is.. if i put in a "plug" to limit the mag to 2 rounds , is this legal for hunting, and what kind of "plug " does it have to be?

DO YOU?

I have a ? along this line (Don't want to steal thread)
Some areas in Oregon you are required to use a shot gun for big game hunting. Are you limited to 3 shells or 5 like a rifle???

OK have been going over the big game Reg's. the only thing I have found is hunt 214g master hunter shotgun only, hunt 217B shotgun only. have not yet found anything YET that
limits capacity. But you know the Reg's.Thay are hard to read and find what you want answers too.

this is the answer I got from the game dept.

While the Game Bird Regulations limit shotgun shell capacity to three shells, there is currently no regulation limiting the number of shells that may be carried in the shotgun when hunting big game.

I hope this answers your questions.

Ethan K. Wilson, Lieutenant
Oregon State Police
Fish & Wildlife Division
255 Capitol Street NE, 4th Floor
Salem, Oregon 97310
Office: (503)934-0223
Fax: (503)363-5475
Cell: (503)991-6584
[email protected]

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class