JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
16" is the shortest you can legally go without getting a tax stamp for an sbr. You can get a 14.5" barrel and pin and weld a muzzle device onto barrel to make it a legal 16". You will probably not notice much difference in handling between the two. If you want shorter, a tax stamp for an sbr will be needed and after jumping through the hoops you can put on a shorter barrel that will split your eardrums if ever shot inside. To combat the high db level one could get another tax stamp and get a suppressor, but now we are back at the same oal or more, lol.

To still be considered a rifle, it has to have a minimum OAL of 26" with a barrel of at least 16". Barrel length is considered any part of the barrel that is permanently installed like a flash hider to the bolt face on a closed action.

The shortest barrel I have seen in 2". The "common" sizes for SBR/pistol is 7.5", 11.5" and 14.5" all will be exceptionally loud.

I guess "distance" shooting is all relative. Most would not consider a 16" barrel a good choice for distance. It is a great choice for all around use.

Maybe something from PSA I have a 16 inch that's nice for distance but looking to slap on for home defense. For a shorter OAL. Thoughts? Ideas?
Bullpup, I suggest Tavor. Otherwise you get into the territories of:

SBR
Pistol
Pinned/welded shorter barrel and flash hider combo to achieve 16.1"

Also relevant is what you plan to push through the pipe. At different calibers, intended uses... lengths may have diminishing returns and defeat the intent.

To still be considered a rifle, it has to have a minimum OAL of 26" with a barrel of at least 16". Barrel length is considered any part of the barrel that is permanently installed like a flash hider to the bolt face on a closed action.

The shortest barrel I have seen in 2". The "common" sizes for SBR/pistol is 7.5", 11.5" and 14.5" all will be exceptionally loud.

I guess "distance" shooting is all relative. Most would not consider a 16" barrel a good choice for distance. It is a great choice for all around use.
With my 16" I can hit 8-10 inch plates with a fair amount of proficiency at 300 yards. Anything Beyond that I have no need for.

With my 16" I can hit 8-10 inch plates with a fair amount of proficiency at 300 yards. Anything Beyond that I have no need for.
I dunno.🤔 That might have used to be true, but the new strain of zombies can run... and they're never alone. (I saw it on the internet).

Best to shoot sooner at distance rather than later.

I'm leaning that direction. My wife has a 10.5 inch upper pistol that is VERY convenient for truck/vehicle and in side the house use.
If you're doing a 5.56... 10.5" is about the shortest you want to go, IMHO. It's very useable at that length though... even quite reasonable at distance.

Thinking of a pistol, what's the max barrel length I could do? Anyone know of the ballistics of a 14.7 inch upper?
There is no maximum length,
18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term "Pistol" means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

• a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);
  • and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

I dunno.🤔 That might have used to be true, but the new strain of zombies can run... and they're never alone. (I saw it on the internet).

Best to shoot sooner at distance rather than later.
In WROL (without rule of law) maybe. I have a .30-06 for longer(more power) kind of shots if needed. But I can put a lot of "zombies" down 300 yards and in with my current setup. Where I live there aren't many shots that are longer than 300yards. Mostly under 200yards. And the ones that are, are over 1000yards. I don't have that kind of money. Or enough worry to spend the time to learn how to shoot that far.

I'm more in need of a shorter/lightweight maneuverable rifle that can make quick accurate shots up to 150-200 yards. With enough ballistic power to more than piss someone off at that range.

No matter what, it's going to be loud from a shotgun down to 9mm. I have a few sets of electronic hear protection near by. In the unlikely event ever happens they are there.

Best case for home defense, you just post up with your A2 and let them **** around and find out.

Can you post a link to that law?
Since when is the ATF restricted by "laws"? By law... a firearm created to be fired by one hand is a pistol, regardless of the barrel length. According to the alphabet... over 26" overall with a barrel length of 16" or greater can not be fired one handed and is not a pistol.

Kind of moot though. Pistol or rifle over 26" and barrel over 16" is not regulated under the NFA so who cares what you call it... unless you plan to convert it to a pistol length.... then... it's still a "pistol" no matter what the alphabet wants to try and call it.

The "laws" and "rules" are not consistent with each other. All that matters is what you can get in trouble for... at the moment.

Kind of splitting hairs for arguments sake it seems. ;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top