JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I work with many people from other countries here on a work visa. While I have no reason to believe everyone is anything but above board I would hate to get them or myself in any trouble by just trying to have a good time. I once had someone report my group to the police when a group of us were crabbing. We'd done nothing wrong. Had no conflict with any person or group but the police showed up and said someone reported we had been catching illegal crabs. Of course we showed we were 100% legal. They actually showed up pretty quick for such a minor report.

Question is, as long as I as the gun owner is present, is anyone aware of any limitation with shooting with a non American resident in Oregon?

If you are at a gun range they usually require foreign citizens to have a letter of approval from the embassy of their citizenship. I don't know what the law is, but I've read that in rules for some gun ranges... I'm guessing it's a rule because it's a law.

PS: check out the rules on SafeFire... that's where I think I read this.

Interestingly these are the first and the last entries of the Q & A link. My question is based more on possession since I would be only a few feet away. They sort of contradict each other.

May a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa possess a firearm or ammunition in the United States?
An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) and 922(y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32]

Does the prohibition on the receipt and possession of firearms and ammunition by aliens in nonimmigrant visa status apply to nonimmigrant aliens who lawfully enter the United States without a visa?
No. A nonimmigrant alien who is lawfully admitted to the United States without a visa (e.g. Visa Waiver Program), may acquire or possess a firearm in the United States.

I work with many people from other countries here on a work visa. While I have no reason to believe everyone is anything but above board I would hate to get them or myself in any trouble by just trying to have a good time. I once had someone report my group to the police when a group of us were crabbing. We'd done nothing wrong. Had no conflict with any person or group but the police showed up and said someone reported we had been catching illegal crabs. Of course we showed we were 100% legal. They actually showed up pretty quick for such a minor report.

Question is, as long as I as the gun owner is present, is anyone aware of any limitation with shooting with a non American resident in Oregon?

What a coincidence! I wasn't doing anything illegal the last time I got crabs either!

Years ago I was in Seattle at the Pike Place Market with a friend. We walked past the fish display and he read the sign "Crabs $6.00 ea". He proceeded to scratch himself and exclaimed $6.00 ea. OMG I'm a millionaire. :D

If they aren't from visa waiver countries then they should research the hunting license exception. Aside from any legal requirements however is the need for close supervision if they are not experienced shooters. In other states I have seen many foreigners handle firearms for the first time, flagging people with loaded handguns while taking Instagram photos, etc., and being quickly booted. People caught up in the novelty of being allowed to handle a firearm can do stupid things very quickly.

Don't forget about the places that cater to gun tourism like in Las Vegas. People fly in from all over the world to do that. I'm sure that they just waiver the cr@p out of them though.

I've been coming over to Oregon for MANY years, and have shot at numerous ranges in both Oregon and Washington states. I've never been asked to either prove my identity or to provide documentation that I'm not disqualified by being some kind of person unwelcome in the USA. I make a point, however, in showing the range staff my UK firearms certificate (FAC) with nineteen guns on it, my MRA membership, my NRA Range Conducting Officer name tag and my UK gun club membership.

A few indoor ranges require ANY visitor to sit through a range safety briefing - no hardship at all, as many ranges have their own sets of safety rules that while, in general, ARE the usual points, may have some local addition that a visitor might not be aware of - like no photographing inside the range, and so on. Again, no big deal - anybody visiting OUR gun club, no matter if they are already a seasoned shooter, can escape the mandatory ranger safety briefing.

Interestingly these are the first and the last entries of the Q & A link. My question is based more on possession since I would be only a few feet away. They sort of contradict each other.

May a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa possess a firearm or ammunition in the United States?
An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) and 922(y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32]

Does the prohibition on the receipt and possession of firearms and ammunition by aliens in nonimmigrant visa status apply to nonimmigrant aliens who lawfully enter the United States without a visa?
No. A nonimmigrant alien who is lawfully admitted to the United States without a visa (e.g. Visa Waiver Program), may acquire or possess a firearm in the United States.

The first applies to those people who need a visa to enter the country, the last to those who don't need a visa.

E.G., the first would apply to someone coming here from Afghanistan, the last to someone from Canada.

What a coincidence! I wasn't doing anything illegal the last time I got crabs either!
Just remember that next time your neighbors house is being burglarized. "I think they were illegally crabbing over there, hurry come before they get away.."

I've been coming over to Oregon for MANY years, and have shot at numerous ranges in both Oregon and Washington states. I've never been asked to either prove my identity or to provide documentation that I'm not disqualified by being some kind of person unwelcome in the USA. I make a point, however, in showing the range staff my UK firearms certificate (FAC) with nineteen guns on it, my MRA membership, my NRA Range Conducting Officer name tag and my UK gun club membership.

A few indoor ranges require ANY visitor to sit through a range safety briefing - no hardship at all, as many ranges have their own sets of safety rules that while, in general, ARE the usual points, may have some local addition that a visitor might not be aware of - like no photographing inside the range, and so on. Again, no big deal - anybody visiting OUR gun club, no matter if they are already a seasoned shooter, can escape the mandatory ranger safety briefing.

I was more concerned about outdoor areas where I mainly shoot. Like in the crabbing example, if I was shooting with some "Russian" (anyone from the old eastern block) or Asian group if someone possibly called. Not that I ever had a problem, again it's more to protect people that just wanted to have an experience and learn about guns. Not lose their jobs or get arrested. Generally the police in my area are pretty good but prosecutors and judges from what I read are not pro gun here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top