JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Slingshots but none with high capacity grips, muzzleloaders, single shot shotguns an rifles. Maybe a revolver but no tactical features that could scare the natives of seattlestan.

Thread title pretty much nails my question. I have friends up north that I'd like to go shooting with. In simple terms, what guns can I bring?
I would just use theirs and bring your own factory ammo. If it's a question of magazine capacity or "assault" style firearms.

My standard capacity EDC is 9 rounds. The fewer and fewer times I go to Washington these days. I try to be legal. Though in 20 yrs I can't recall any LEO interactions compared to many in Oregon.

images.jpeg-275.jpg

Trebuchet is legal, I believe.

Thread title pretty much nails my question. I have friends up north that I'd like to go shooting with. In simple terms, what guns can I bring?
Well for one if you are here shooting and are not shooting in some spot that is going to attract law enforcement none will care.
If you really are "worried" about getting "caught" are you really going to take the word of people on the net? This is how you seek legal advice? Not a good way to do so.

Well for one if you are here shooting and are not shooting in some spot that is going to attract law enforcement none will care.
If you really are "worried" about getting "caught" are you really going to take the word of people on the net? This is how you seek legal advice? Not a good way to do so.
"Your honor, the Internet people told me I could."

After re-reading the bill, I think you'd be fine bringing most stuff in for your use.
It's not illegal to possess anything, its the "importing" portion that I think hangs people up. But reading the bills definition of importing, it's all related to bringing something in and leaving it. Leaving it as in an out of stater bring it in to transfer, or in stater bring it back cause they are a resident.

Just to clarify here, the laws in WA pertain to sales and transfers correct? NOT the possession of such items.

Just to clarify here, the laws in WA pertain to sales and transfers correct? NOT the possession of such items.
If you are referring to bringing things in from out of state (not firearms or magazines that were within the state prior to the newer laws),

Current WA law:

41861F66-B53D-46FD-BD97-302374CB4A47.jpeg

Assault weapons import:

Text of hb 1240:

Wa gun laws:

Last Edited:
Yes but I think only for WA residents. The law is vague and terrible. I am not sure there is clariity around bringing a weapon from OR or anywhere else to WA and then leaving with it. The law only says WA residents can leave the state and bring back what they left with.

If you are referring to bringing things in from out of state (not firearms or magazines that were within the state prior to the newer laws),

Current WA law:

View attachment 1833914

Assault weapons import:

Text of hb 1240:

Wa gun laws:

"(23) "Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine or assault weapon when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine or assault weapon the individual transported out of state."

This is where the lines get a bit blurry. Importing would technically be to take in, as in, action by a WA resident of bringing a weapon or banned item to the state. For example buying a 30rd mag in Oregon and then bringing it inside of the state. As a non-resident, if I'm in possession of the item the entire time (not transferring) up until leaving, I can't be importing an item. The proviso of WA residents being able to leave the state and return with an item they owned previously delineates between importing and traveling with. But laws are tricky and I'd prefer to have a lawyer clarify these critical minutia.

Last Edited:
(23) "Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine or assault weapon when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine or assault weapon the individual transported out of state.

This is where the lines get a bit blurry. Importing would technically be to take in, as in, action by a WA resident of bringing a weapon or banned item to the state. For example buying a 30rd mag in Oregon and then bringing it inside of the state. As a non-resident, if I'm in possession of the item the entire time (not transferring) up until leaving, I can't be importing an item. The proviso of WA residents being able to leave the state and return with an item they owned previously delineates between importing and traveling with. But laws are tricky and I'd prefer to have a lawyer clarify these critical minutia.
Agree about it being blurry. Especially cuz it conflicts directly with earlier laws on the same issue. However I don't see anywhere where it specifies a WA resident. But that's why I try to cite the laws for others and let them interpret them and only interpret them for myself. Probably a deal where more than one lawyer would give you more than one answer on the same thing possibly. It does seem to me to be legal if a magazine were in WA state prior to the ban it could leave the state and then return.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top