JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

photostudio_1464656191436.jpg

Wow, I just reviewed the whole thread, all 48 pages . . . lots of fun; I need more friends and guns!
I don't have much to contribute, but a 'selfie' (if that's what you call a Minolta X370 35mm on a tripod using the timer) my usual partner and me out at our 'range'
Natural Habitat.jpg
The DPMS LR308 is new and stock, A2 rear sight etc. Now it's a fixed stock, Hi-lux cmr scope, Good Iron muzzle brake, and a lot more skills acquired since this picture, as well as grey hair.

Last Edited:
Not quite there yet, then? Watch your finger placement. Your groups might be better than you think with some serious combination of breath control, cheek weld and finger position.

Oh, and the load - what calibre?

tac
6mmBR in a Savage 12 BR rifle. Criterion 30" 1/8 twist. Load was a ladder of different Varget loads in Lapua Brass with Remington BR primers. Berger 105 VLDs. LE Wilson dies. Weaver 36t scope. I shot two sets with different seating depths. One set with the bullet in the lands and one with them -.002" out.

I found that the bottom and the top of each ladder were the best so I think there are two accuracy nodes. I also noticed that the loads set back from the lands were more accurate. (Accurate shooter states a lot of people like them right up in the lands so I tried that. Not a disaster but not a help)

My eyes aren't great but I think my trigger control is OK. I am thinking there is more of the loads varying than my control since both ladders show similar results.

This piece of paper was holed by my thirty-year-old Krico 650SS, 155gr Lapua Scenar, with a variety of loads of IMR4064 in Lapua cases and CCI #200 LRP, with bullets set 15thou out of the lands. Three-shot clusters at 100m, shot to sort out a load.

upload_2016-6-3_11-20-2.png

Guess which one I settled on?

tac

Wow, I just reviewed the whole thread, all 48 pages . . . lots of fun; I need more friends and guns!
I don't have much to contribute, but a 'selfie' (if that's what you call a Minolta X370 35mm on a tripod using the timer) my usual partner and me out at our 'range'
View attachment 295639
The DPMS LR308 is new and stock, A2 rear sight etc. Now it's a fixed stock, Hi-lux cmr scope, Good Iron muzzle brake, and a lot more skills acquired since this picture, as well as grey hair.
Nice looking dawg! :)

44.5 looks fantastic but what happened at 44. Is that a three shot group? Nice if it is.

308?

Are you out here this summer? I invited you shooting and I intend to make good on that.

We'll be flying into Yoojeen on Sunday 12th June from Salt Lake city. I have some work to do with the widow of a good friend - mainly selling his guns off - and we'll be futzing around for a good while. Read your PM for our itinament.

And yes, that IS a three-shot group in .308Win, hence my rhetorical question about which load you think I settled on.:) That was done a couple of years back, when I lucked into a thousand 155gr Lapua Scenars after a buddy gave up shooting centrefire following a serious coming together of his upper torso and a double-decker bus. No more biggerer than .22cal for him, now, poor soul, his arms and shoulders took a severe amount of modification that is non-reversible, but at least he's alive, thanks to some great FRs and surgical team in Kettering General Hospital.

The upper, spread-out group at 44.5 is the one shot with that load. The somewhat tighter groupof three shots in the paster it was shot with my K31 and handloads. Same bullet but with 45gr of RL17.

Besp

tac

Last Edited:
And yes, that IS a three-shot group in .308Win, hence my rhetorical question about which load you think I settled on.:) That was done a couple of years back, when I lucked into a thousand 155gr Lapua Scenars after a buddy gave up shooting centrefire following a serious coming together of his upper torso and a double-decker bus.

Ouch. And a tip of the hat to you sir. That is where I want to be.

Also an explanation of the wxtra three shots in the target helps. I wanted to ask about that...

Will respond to your IM when I am not on the phone.

Beautiful. Nice and svelt for a lady of her age. At first I thought she was a Belgian Malinois.
I got her at a local humane society. They didn't know what she was, and had her listed as Norwegian Elk Hound (which is ridiculous as my Uncle had one and they don't look alike at all). My trainer was with me as we were looking for a new service dog for me. I loved her at first sight, and my trainer was really impressed with her after some vetting. It wasn't until 2 years later I was at a gathering for local Native folk when someone who knows the breed recognized her. Even though I'm native, I had never heard of the breed. I sent the breeder some pics (the one in the link above) and he confirmed that she was indeed one of his dogs, and I even learned more about her backstory. I guess it was kismet that I'd ended up with such a special dog, and a native one at that. She is a blessing incarnate, and has saved my butt more than once. I'm deeply thankful for her.
That's an old picture, but she is the same weight.
Lazin Kabu.jpg

Last Edited:
View attachment 295745

My 1954 K31 and Weaver K4 scope on Swiss Products alloy mount and Warne [Tualatin] rings.

It shoots well.

tac

I have an old friend who shot military rifle matches, locally, winning more than his fair share! His K-31's are awfully accurate for as issued rifles. His eyes aren't up to the task anymore but he won't sell them! I think I'm going to show him your scoped K-31. He'll think it's blasphemous, though!

Well, we can't have your old friend thinking that ANY K31 is blasphemous, can we?

Top is my 1914 K11 - bottom 1954 K31 and SP diopter sights....

upload_2016-6-3_20-14-0.png

K31 - Twenty shots with the diopter sights @100m...

upload_2016-6-3_20-14-28.png

We all do what we can, with what we have to do it with.

Or do without.

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews