JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't doubt that the SCAR is a good rifle, but as I said earlier I can't justify the $3k price stamp it goes for. I didn't really like it when I had the opportunity to get one for $1,800. Great rifle, just doesn't give me the same excitement as some of the older rifles do.

Anyways, ordering the barrel group since its cheaper than the 18" and 16" from DSA. It looks like the conversion kit will have everything in regards to the lower good to go? So just focus on getting the parts for the upper I guess. Going to bookmark all these parts I pull up on DSA.

" It looks like the conversion kit will have everything in regards to the lower good to go? "

That is not what I said. It seems to be missing the bolt hold open, magazine release, locking shoulder (which you need to fit once the rest is built) and the bolt/extractor. Also might need the charging handle and there are a couple types so pick the one you need.

I know what you said, just looks likes those are in the upper receiver parts on DSA's website. Already have those pulled up on the site, just looking for surplus parts instead unless I'm better off with new parts from DSA.

No problem. Just out of curiosity, are DSA parts any good? I keep hearing they aren't what they used to be. Was going with their Type I receiver since its the only one available with the lightning cut, Coonans aren't in stock by the looks of it.

I can't answer that. I had a cherry SA58 but it was at least 6 years old. It was all steyr parts and I tjought it magnificent.

I have heard DSA has ups and downs but I have no details. Honestly the lowers and the uppers and barrels are what matter most and I think they're good except for the aluminum lowers (?) they did a while back.

My impression of the company is good so I think they'll stand behind their stuff. I would ask on falfiles for the best info.

Aready tried an AR in .308 and just didn't care for it that much.

Which specific AR did you try? AR quality can vary greatly. Plus there have been some newer 308 AR's that have come out in recent years, that offer a number of improvements. One can now get rifles that are much lighter. And many offer a number of innovative features.

It would be wrong to lump all 308 AR's together.

Which specific AR did you try? AR quality can vary greatly. Plus there have been some newer 308 AR's that have come out in recent years, that offer a number of improvements. One can now get rifles that are much lighter. And many offer a number of innovative features.

It would be wrong to lump all 308 AR's together.
Tried a PWS Mk216. Stuck with me for a while but as with the 5.56 I just grew away from the AR. Wasn't much into the AR to begin with.

Looks like its gonna cost quite a bit to go this way... But its the only way to get a paratrooper build with a 17" barrel. Don't know why DSA doesn't offer a 17".

Still cheaper than buying a 16" paratrooper from them though.

I have the national match m1a and love it. To this day I still cannot bring myself to put an optic on it somehow it seems almost cheating if I did. I do enjoy the squad version that my friend owns with the Nikon IRT on it. I also own a mini and Garand so maybe i'm a little bias.

I didn't read every response so I do not know what all has been recommended, but my vote goes to the Keltec RFB. It is a solid .308 semi auto contender in my opinion. I have the 24 inch barrel version that is still shorter than a 16 inch barreled AR with stock extended.

They have come down quite a bit in price. I saw one for $1400 in Montana not that long ago. If I didn't already own 2 I would have bought it.

M14... all of my semi-auto M14 clones are built on forged Poly Tech receivers, you can
buy a used Norinco / Poly Tech M14 for $800 to $1000, shoot it as is or domesticate it.

RS-CQB-16.JPG

Last Edited:
I'll do a M14 after I finish a 21" FAL after college. Right now I'm working on finishing a 17" build.

Just waiting for some stuff to sell and the right time to get a receiver.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top