JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not because of recoil, but I have been carrying my 43c since I got it, it is a cool gun, cheap to shoot a lot, but the trigger is stiff, and it is not recommended to modify the trigger on a rimfire revolver, since they need a good amount of force to reliably ignite the rimfire ammo. I do everything I can to avoid "problems", but if it came down to it, in close quarters, I would think 8 rounds of .22LR would take the fight out of someone. Again, I stay away from places where gangs are roaming around and I am going to be in a shoot out with 5 guys, if you like to visit places like that, maybe try a FiveseveN, they hold 21rds and have little recoil!

I remember an old retired FBI guy, whose duty gun was the bobbed 3" model 13 .357 magnum say, You want recoil.. when you're in a fight.
I couldn't say he was wrong.

Fair enough but give me a couple weeks. I last fired that 686 several years ago. Probably am going to switch out to a lighter weight alternative. As it was suggested earlier, it may have been the 2+ lbs of the 686 frame that was the deal breaker. I've got long arms, avg strength. Probably a poor stance. Will remedy this after a lesson or two and some time put in. Not going with .22 though. Will learn to deal with aluminum frame + .38 spcl.

We started our daughter out on a S&W 642, one of my favorite guns and a joy (for ME!) with 158gr +P LSWC, for her? Not so much Went shooting with some friends that had a S&W Shield in 9mm with standard 124 gr JHP and it was night and day for her. Sold the 642, got her a Shield and have never looked back. The recoil of a 642 or any other lightweight 38 spl revolver will be much worse for *most* people than something like the Shield, Sig 360 or one of those and they will conceal easier as well. Avoid any +P ammo like the plague

But that's JMHO 🤷‍♂️

Hello @duldej --
I've used Buddy, a 686 snubby, as my EDC for nearly 30 years. Buddy wears a Crimson Trace laser grip. This was essential in one of his duties, which was to protect my duck flock at night. The ducks were penned on the deck at night under my upstairs living room window. I took the screen off that window. When the ducks gave their alarm calls I eased open the window, poked Buddy out the window, and dealt with the problem. Over a decade or so, a couple dozen raccoons, a dozen or so possums and some skunks. The skunks I always conspired to shoot at 50' or more away so they sprayed in the yard not right up in the duck pen or near the house. (Some people say skunks don't spray if you shoot them in the brain. Apparently skunks don't know that.) Buddy also took care of a couple of foxes that came after the flock in broad daylight one day when they were out foraging. He never failed to permanently solve the problem.

A 686 snubby is heavier than most people want for an EDC. 36 oz unloaded. However, it is no bigger than standard concealed carry pistols such as a Glock 19 or the CZ P07 I just bought. And on my hip I find the weight reassuring rather than irritating. In addition, with Buddy I could actually take deer out to about 75 yards if I needed to. If a SHTF event happened when I was away from home I would have only my edc, and there is much to be said for that EDC being a gun that can be used to hunt with.

But why are you having trouble with the recoil with mere .38sp fired in a full size heavy gun? Do you wear serious ear protection? that is, shooters ear muffs, not just little foam ear plugs? The noise is usually the most intimidating thing about firing. What kind of grips are on the gun? If they are cheese grater wood grips, get something rubber. I'd suggest the Crimson Trace rubber laser grips. Amazon has. These are small enough to make concealed carry easy. Get some snap caps and do lots of dry firing practice. It is very easy to perfect your grip and DA trigger pull with the laser turned on.

Then there is stance and grip. When standing your weight should be forward. That is, you don't arch your body backward to counterbalance the gun. When it comes to two hand grips, some people suggest pushing forward with the dominant hand and back with the other. I don't do that. Yes it makes it more possible to "control recoil". But I'm often shooting .44mags, and that " controlled recoil " is harder on my hands, arms, body. Instead I just grip the gun hard with both hands but don't try to control recoil. The recoil moves my arms, which are elastic so to speak, and return gun to firing position by themselves. My relaxed arm muscles absorb the recoil. Not my hands or wrists . Even with full .357mag loads its not unpleasant. Sure I wouldn't win any speed tests that way, but my firing is only a little slower. And part of SD is shooting with one hand with either hand, and that involves just letting recoil happen rather than fighting it. Focus on your shooting and just ignore the recoil. Hold gun in iron grips and keep wrists stiff, but let arms just roll with the recoil and absorb it naturally.

I strongly advise against going to a smaller or lighter alloy .357 or 38. Lighter guns have serious recoil. Not just recoil that moves your arms politely and harmlessly. Instead the gun tries to twist and torc out of your hands entirely, which is rude and unpleasant. And it stings your hands, hurts your wrists, and slams your arms up. To get good with a gun it helps a lot if you enjoy shooting it . The smaller steel J frame Smiths still recoil a lot worse than a 686 snubby. The working surfaces on the internal parts are all smaller. This means the SA and especially the DA trigger pull is very heavy compared with a full size Smith. I had one I shot with .38sp +P, and found it recoiled worse than my 6" Anaconda .44 mag with mid range loads.

You seem to prefer revolvers, and with a 686+ you have a fine one. You can start with it. And maybe add a snubby as a CC gun. The under lugged barrel absorbs recoil nicely even in a snubby version.

Cheers, Carol

Last Edited:
Just a little FYI, in times of ammo shortages, 38 Special ammo is extremely difficult to find. "Defensive" .22 ammo will also be difficult to obtain. I didn't like the price but .380 ammo was scarce but around and 9mm was just expensive.
We have thousands in stock. 125gr TMJ.

Will be starting a thread about the development of the both the 38 Special 125gr and 357 158gr.

Fair enough but give me a couple weeks. I last fired that 686 several years ago. Probably am going to switch out to a lighter weight alternative. As it was suggested earlier, it may have been the 2+ lbs of the 686 frame that was the deal breaker. I've got long arms, avg strength. Probably a poor stance. Will remedy this after a lesson or two and some time put in. Not going with .22 though. Will learn to deal with aluminum frame + .38 spcl.
If you're finding the recoil of the 686+ problematic with 38sp loads a lighter gun is a large step in the wrong direction.

I have a 2 lb. and an 8 lb barbell within reach of my bed. I use them to strengthen my arms, hands, and wrists for holding up my .44mag revolvers. I loll in bed listening to YouTube videos and working just one arm at a time. Much easier to handle holding a heavy gun extended with a bit more muscle than my female arms would normally have without the weight work. I have long arms too.

I'm throwing 1 more guess in here. The indoor range itself may have something to do with perceived recoil aversion.
Hear me out. The blast is way more noticeable inside than outside, especially if the range has any or all of these: low ceiling, heavy partition walls, lots of exposed steel and concrete.

Have you done much shooting with handguns outside?

I'll vote Semi Auto.

Capacity. Softer shooting. Faster follow up shots.

Unless your Jerry

Nothing wrong with a 1911 format.
In general, 110% agree with you, but for the OP? Maybe not so much.

SoIsGod.jpg

I'm throwing 1 more guess in here. The indoor range itself may have something to do with perceived recoil aversion.
Hear me out. The blast is way more noticeable inside than outside, especially if the range has any or all of these: low ceiling, heavy partition walls, lots of exposed steel and concrete.

Have you done much shooting with handguns outside?
I shot my 16" 5.56 and 7.5" 300 blackout at Tritec, which is basically a small concrete bunker, and it literally felt like someone hitting me in the head with boxing gloves, lol. The concussive blast in that environment was a bit too much to comfortably shoot rifles and enjoy it.

Ended up shooting 30 rounds of each and packed them away. Just stuck with handguns afterwards.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top