JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like most, I do love the looks of the 1911, but two factors are a problem: I am loathe to trust the complexity of a semi auto, and also the concealability of it could be a problem. I live in Portland. They notice something like that and they're likely to freak out.
the 1911-380 is about 3/4 the size and weight of a full sized 1911 in 45 acp and is chambered in 380 acp. It's very concealable and easy to shoot. The design is very reliable and time tested. It may not be the gun for you but given your criteria It would seem to be a good one to look at. If .22's are too small and 38's are too big there are lots of choices in 32 caliber for your perusal as well.

.38 specials out of the 686+ are pussycats, unless your running +P's. If that recoil is on the edge of uncomfortable, it'll just be magnified in the 442, considering it weights a paltry 14 oz.

As @Certaindeaf said, 148 gr wadcutters are going to be softer recoiling, and could be pressed into service for self defense. Standard 130 fmj in .38 special are not awfully punishing either. When you get into the 158 gr range, now you'll start feeling recoil.

I practice with the full range of options through my 642 and carry Gold Dot 125 gr +P jhp's and find them quite manageable. But everyone has different sensitivity to recoil.

If you've not shot much handguns, I'd recommend shooting more, try lots of different handguns, different calibers and see what consistently works best for you.
Appreciate that, and will do. Politically, I sometimes am concerned with the consistent availability of ammo that is not mainstream, and am therefore inclined to go with a .38 or a .22 that I do like to shoot and the ammo that I can obtain in a hurry, without regard to the specifics.

For now, I think I'll just bring the 686 in and use .38s of whatevertheygot variety until I like it. It's a solid gun, and the mechanics of it are amazing.

From there will choose the edc accordingly.

The 686+ is a steel framed revolver. If a .38 out of that is too much recoil impulse for you, then an alloy framed 442 is going to be extremely unpleasant. If you a hammerless, steel j-frame, with no lock; then your option is basically the Performance Center 640, or something like the Ruger SP101 or Kimber K6S.

Personally, I carry a Pro Series 442 because of convenience. I personally don't find it uncomfortable to shoot in short amounts but it's not a gun I do a 1000 round range day with. I'll second the recommendation above for a .22 revolver because it'll likely be a lot more comfortable for you to shoot. While a .22 isn't the best round for self-defense it is better than nothing at all and in the right hands can be an absolutely formidable round.

Like most, I do love the looks of the 1911, but two factors are a problem: I am loathe to trust the complexity of a semi auto, and also the concealability of it could be a problem. I live in Portland. They notice something like that and they're likely to freak out.
I've carried full size 1911s in Portland for years and no one has ever noticed, no one has ever freaked out. If they do notice, then you might want to adjust your method of concealment.
If the recoiling slide on the Ruger was causing you pain and if the recoil of the 38 felt substantial, I'd suggest you might need help with your grip on the gun- In both scenarios it sounds like it might not be optimum.
If you get a chance, try one of the Girsan Hi Power Clones. they do a version with a beavertail for under $600- the grip is very ergonomic and it's a very slim and easy to conceal pistol, but recoil is very manageable thanks to it's all steel construction.
The beavertail lets you get a nice high, controlling grip whilst at the same time ensuring no bits of your hand are in the way of the slide coming back.
The only question then would be your level of comfort carrying ( as with a 1911), a single action pistol cocked and locked...

Food for thought regarding recoil and "recoil sensitivity."

For me, felt recoil is directly related to GRIP and STANCE.

When I finally learned how to correctly grip a handgun (and by grip, that includes torquing down hard on that "muther") and changed my stance to better balance myself against the recoil pulse - recoil became a non-issue.

When I get lazy at the range and don't focus on stance and grip, my accuracy goes way down and I can feel the difference between the snap of a 40 S&W and the "roll" of a 45 ACP.

But when I vice-grip down on a pistol with as high a grip as I can get, and make sure my stance and weight are balanced correctly, my accuracy increases dramatically and I don't notice the recoil.

As many have suggested earlier in the thread - practice, practice, practice. And if you've not had the opportunity to work with an experienced and effective shooter - seeking out such a person for a little training would really help. That's what helped me.

Best of luck.

Food for thought regarding recoil and "recoil sensitivity."

For me, felt recoil is directly related to GRIP and STANCE.

When I finally learned how to correctly grip a handgun (and by grip, that includes torquing down hard on that "muther") and changed my stance to better balance myself against the recoil pulse - recoil became a non-issue.

When I get lazy at the range and don't focus on stance and grip, my accuracy goes way down and I can feel the difference between the snap of a 40 S&W and the "roll" of a 45 ACP.

But when I vice-grip down on a pistol with as high a grip as I can get, and make sure my stance and weight are balanced correctly, my accuracy increases dramatically and I don't notice the recoil.

As many have suggested earlier in the thread - practice, practice, practice. And if you've not had the opportunity to work with an experienced and effective shooter - seeking out such a person for a little training would really help. That's what helped me.

Best of luck.
That is where I am at. Booked my wife an hour and myself an hour of live fire training a couple weeks out so I plan to sort out just that fairly soon.

That is where I am at. Booked my wife an hour and myself an hour of live fire training a couple weeks out so I plan to sort out just that fairly soon.
^^^ That's the smart money right there, training and practice. Figure out what your preferences and tolerance levels are, then go shopping for your ideal concealed carry sidearm.

Best of luck in your quest, keep us posted as to your progress .

Chiming in with the grip/stance advice.

My wife's favorite defense oriented gun is our Model 65, kind of a beast weight wise at over 2 lbs but I think lighter than the 686. She's not big or that strong, and has no probs with standard .38s. She doesn't like, but can handle, .357s out of it. IMO it's because of the weight; recoil isn't an issue w/ .38s and makes .357s something she can do.

But when I think of it she is well versed in a good grip and solid stance. So yes, get that training!

If you are partial to a revolver, stay with them... It does appear that you are very sensitive to recoil if you are bothered by the firearms you mentioned, that may just require more shooting to get used to.
A heavier firearm will absorb and usually equate to less perceived recoil. A small polymer handgun will kick more than a large steel one in the same caliber. I think 9mm is near the sweet spot in ballistic effectiveness with minimal recoil...

While you are doing your tryout at the rental range, try a SIG P238
.380 chambering with 1911 controls and slim profile
IMG_9775-2-Edit.jpg

Politically, I sometimes am concerned with the consistent availability of ammo that is not mainstream, and am therefore inclined to go with a .38 or a .22 that I do like to shoot and the ammo that I can obtain in a hurry, without regard to the specifics.
Just a little FYI, in times of ammo shortages, 38 Special ammo is extremely difficult to find. "Defensive" .22 ammo will also be difficult to obtain. I didn't like the price but .380 ammo was scarce but around and 9mm was just expensive.

Just a little FYI, in times of ammo shortages, 38 Special ammo is extremely difficult to find. "Defensive" .22 ammo will also be difficult to obtain. I didn't like the price but .380 ammo was scarce but around and 9mm was just expensive.
I think this was mentioned earlier, but I just read an informative comparison of .380 acp vs .38 special ammo, and would like to know how politics/supply chain issues, etc have historically impacted 148 grain full wadcutters availability.

Disposed to the 442 revolver, the wadcutter could be a good option.

Article here:

I think this was mentioned earlier, but I just read an informative comparison of .380 acp vs .38 special ammo, and would like to know how politics/supply chain issues, etc have historically impacted 148 grain full wadcutters availability.

Disposed to the 442 revolver, the wadcutter could be a good option.

Article here:
I have a 39SPL and love to shoot handloaded wadcutters.
However, in my experience, even in normal times store-bought wadcutter ammo is not easy to find.
If you can find it, it is most likely going to be from a boutique ammo supplier and not a major ammo co.

If you're set on 38SPL, then stock up on ammo and future-proof yourself.

It doesn't sound like you've had a lot of shooting experience, do I suggest either buying/renting an all metal 9mm, and maybe even add a cheap Ruger mk4 and practice, practice, practice. Once you get some trigger time, you can start thinking about a carry gun. I had a 642, and with +P, the thing was miserable to shoot.

I carry either an officer 1911 or a Beretta 92 Compact, which is G19 size but fatter.

A .38 snubby isn't a siege weapon but a box of 50 will last like oh, 50 self-defense shootings so..

Lol

Anticipating "try both at the range to know," which I might do, hopefully soon, I am trying to weigh either variety of sub compact design for concealed carry.

I have a Smith 686+ right now for home.

Don't like the recoil much with .38 special, but it's not a deal breaker, in itself.

The recoil plus the double action, though, is kind of a distracting situation if I were to try to follow up with a second, third round.

On the other hand, I had a .22 ruger Semi Auto a while back, where the slide coming back also proved unpleasant. Too many times my thumb/index junction caught the brunt of it.

I am partial to revolvers (no internal lock) mainly because they are simple to operate.

I am close to plunking down the $500 for a Smith 442, but as they are aluminum, in part, I figure the recoil could be a problem.

I stopped by The Place to Shoot also Sporting Systems today, and both clerks were adamant that I'd need min. .380 for my purposes.

I am kinda skinny but not a weakling. Could just need to get more comfortable with the revolver.
If you have recoil issues with a 686 S&W, firing .38 Specials, you might be well served considering a Louisville Slugger.
🤔🤔

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top