JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking of selling my XD-9.

Have never sold a gun before soooo, what's the procedure?
It would most likely be an FTF transaction, what should I do about getting/keeping ID of buyer??
I'm assuming (gee that never gets me in any trouble) I want to be able to prove I no longer own the gun, if it ever comes up.

Is there a form I should use (just for my records)?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

First off, this is only what I do......I like to see trade ratings or references if I am going to trade with someone, then you can get a idea of what someone is like or if they are good for their word.

Bill Of sale is a MUST & I like to see ID to prove residency. because OR residents trade FTF with OR residents ONLY.

I get the guys full name & make him sign the bill of sale with both of our sigs. with the firearms Serial #'s. agreeing we are both able to own firearms.

If that helps

You may want to be VERY sure of your buyer. Scan the board for similar threads; there is an Oregon State Police number to call for a private sale buyer background check for ten dollars on a credit card. It is very handy to use the "Blue Form" for private sales during this call, and you can get a couple of these forms free at any gun show office; it has the directions and phone number needed. This clears the buyer and records the transfer on State records. A copy of this form for each of you serves as a receipt. THIS IS OPTIONAL and only important if you want to be certain the buyer is elegible to own a gun. Asking for this as part of the sale is a great way to weed out the riff-raff.

Another way to be sure of your buyer is to only deal with Concealed Carry License holders. Ask to see it, and record it if you want the data; a receipt is purely optional though the buyer probably wants one......................elsullo

Another option is to talk to the person on the phone. Meet him or her in person and use that to decide if you think he or she seems trustworthy for you to sell the firearm too. Even after seeing a bill of sell, ID or other papers you might not feel right about the sell and just decline and walk away. Always another option. :)

You are not required to keep any records of the sale.

You can if you want, not that any of them are legally binding (informational only).

You can sell to anyone that you wish to as long as:
1) They are a resident of your state and,
2) They are older than 18 and,
3) You have no reason to believe that they cannot own a firearm

That's it. There's no requirement for documentation, ID, background check, endless hoops. There are tools available (see previous posts) if you choose to use them.

You are not required to keep any records of the sale.

You can if you want, not that any of them are legally binding (informational only).

You can sell to anyone that you wish to as long as:
1) They are a resident of your state and,
2) They are older than 18 and,
3) You have no reason to believe that they cannot own a firearm

That's it. There's no requirement for documentation, ID, background check, endless hoops. There are tools available (see previous posts) if you choose to use them.

i have a friend who is almost 21 but found a good FTF deal for a pistol, can he buy it? he has until Nov. for his B-Day pm me please with any details

Personally if your going to take down all my information and insist on keeping records I won't buy from you. I will show you my CHL to prove I am both a resident and not a felon but you don't get to keep personal information about me sorry. If I wanted a record of the purchase I'd use an FFL. This isn't because I'm some kind of paranoid criminal though. This simply comes down to perserving my person privacy and civil liberties. I don't know it's important to me.

If I'm selling a firearm I want to see ID and perferably a CHL but if you don't have one and I have no reason to believe you are a felon I'll sell it to you. If I ever get spooked by something you said or your behavour the deals over and I'm walking away whether you like it or not.

Now that the scary stuff is out of the way I will also share with you that every FTF buy or sell I've had has been very pleasent. Have a little faith in your fellow man. 99.9% of us are good people. Becareful but not paranoid.

Edit: Oh I forgot something that you might be concerned about. You might be concerned that you'll end up buying a stolen gun right? You can call the Sherif if you want and have them check the gun to make sure it isn't stolen. FWIW I never have though and I seriously doubt any of my guns were ever stolen. Everybody I've ever bought one from has seemed to be pretty law abiding to me. Again if you run into a shady character, don't deal with him, just tell them your sorry and leave.

I normally see how the person looks.....if i get a bad vibe NO SALE. I do make a bill of sale....one for me and one for the buyer. I also take a pic of the ID card (with the buyer's permission) and i throw in some stupid questions like ARE U GONNA KILL ANYONE WITH THIS ? ARE U GONNA KILL YOURSELF? Just to see what they say or do. I also ask them if they are a fellon........ now just because they answer dosen't mean they are honest but like i said......its all about vibes. I been hearing that a bill of sale dosen't even stand in court unless it is official paperwork..... dont know for sure tho. Also like a lot of people say..... make sure u sell to someone who lives in ur state...... it is a fellony if u sell out of state without a FFL i believe. You could also ask if the person wouldn't mind going through a FFL and if they are willing..... odds are that your good to go....... if they can provide u with a CCW/CHL ID that is even better assuming thing are up to date.

Yes, I made a few mistakes that now I am regreting!!!! by letting the sellers copy of my DL, lately I have been getting a lot of issues with ID theft, I am not going to discuse here. I AM NOT BLAMING ON ANY GUN SELLERS, or anyone in here. I just getting more carefull with my personal information right now. From now on if I am buying a handgun or riffle, I will only show my concealed carry permit as a proof that I am legal to own a gun.... if I am not then the sheriff department would already take the permit away from me. Seller will never have my DL# again.... Sorry to all the future sellers :) but please understand that I am loosing a lot of time and money to clear my name of Identity theft. Benny

Yes, I made a few mistakes that now I am regreting!!!! by letting the sellers copy of my DL, lately I have been getting a lot of issues with ID theft, I am not going to discuse here. I AM NOT BLAMING ON ANY GUN SELLERS, or anyone in here. I just getting more carefull with my personal information right now. From now on if I am buying a handgun or riffle, I will only show my concealed carry permit as a proof that I am legal to own a gun.... if I am not then the sheriff department would already take the permit away from me. Seller will never have my DL# again.... Sorry to all the future sellers :) but please understand that I am loosing a lot of time and money to clear my name of Identity theft. Benny

Wow i never thought of that.....people stealing my personal info. good point. You should never face any problems because ur carry license is a valid state issued ID even tho some people don't accept it for id...... like when i bought a pac of smokes and they wanted id so i showed my gun license and they said oh no blah blah so i showed my badge and they were A OK after that lol. I hope things go back to normal for u and thanks for sharing ur story and teaching me something new :s0155:

Personally if your going to take down all my information and insist on keeping records I won't buy from you. I will show you my CHL to prove I am both a resident and not a felon but you don't get to keep personal information about me sorry. If I wanted a record of the purchase I'd use an FFL. This isn't because I'm some kind of paranoid criminal though. This simply comes down to perserving my person privacy and civil liberties. I don't know it's important to me.

If I'm selling a firearm I want to see ID and perferably a CHL but if you don't have one and I have no reason to believe you are a felon I'll sell it to you. If I ever get spooked by something you said or your behavour the deals over and I'm walking away whether you like it or not.

Now that the scary stuff is out of the way I will also share with you that every FTF buy or sell I've had has been very pleasent. Have a little faith in your fellow man. 99.9% of us are good people. Becareful but not paranoid.

Edit: Oh I forgot something that you might be concerned about. You might be concerned that you'll end up buying a stolen gun right? You can call the Sherif if you want and have them check the gun to make sure it isn't stolen. FWIW I never have though and I seriously doubt any of my guns were ever stolen. Everybody I've ever bought one from has seemed to be pretty law abiding to me. Again if you run into a shady character, don't deal with him, just tell them your sorry and leave.

Exactly.

Be careful doing FTF gun deals...one guy I know had his guns taken away by a hood, and was anally raped in front of his family.

That is why you should only sell your really cool guns to me, and for a discount, because it's so dangerous out there. ;)

Okay, thanks for all the info but the FTF is off the table.

I took a lesson and guess what, I shoot that darn thing better than I thought I could.
Yahoo!

As I've heard...it's not the arrow it's the indian.
As I've stated prior, I'm fairly new to all of this. Got the XD in OCT, my first handgun and took one lesson.

Then I got an STI GP6-C for Xmas (god, I love that woman) and right off was shooting it quite well but still wasn't doing near as well with the XD. Decided to take another lesson to see what I was doing different/wrong and not only am I now shooting the XD quite well I'm shooting the STI extremly (!) well. Gee, there's something to be said for asking someone that knows....

+1. I've bought and sold a lot of guns on here (many were trades with multiple guns involved) and my feedback here and a quick look at my DL and CWP should be good enough.

Guns on here for the most part aren't cheaper than I can pick them up at a local dealer including pawn shops, so If I want to do paperwork I'm not also going to drive 200 miles each way to get the gun.

$.02

PS I would have bought several more guns on here if it weren't for that.

I've got no problem signing a bill of sale or showing my DL or CHL, but if someone wants to write down my DL# or anything else like that, then they can knock $30 off the price for an FFL transfer and background check through a regular dealer, or they can just sell to someone else. I see lots of ads on here from non-FFL holders who want to write down every little thing about you, and personally, I find it excessive for a FTF between two OR residents. No one needs that much info unless they have an FFL.

I haven't bought or sold to anyone who I thought was shady, but I imagine just asking for a signed bill of sale and to see someone's DL is enough to prevent most people who can't legally own a gun, or who are trying to sell a stolen gun, from wanting to go through with the deal.

Anything more than that is just too much info for someone who doesn't need it.

I have bought guns from private parties before and have had to fill out BILL OF SALE with all kinds of information on them. I always thought it was a bit invasive.

I myself have sold guns with Bills of Sale that included the name, signature, and ODL numbers of the buyers, but nothing else.

Some people want your name, address, phone number, number of children, your height and weight, wifes name, grandmothers age, Mistresses cup size, etc. Why???

After reading through this thread, Ive come to think that perhaps just a signature on a BOS is all that is needed to prove the sale. I'd ask to SEE an ODL, or Oregon CCW, but Im not going to take that information down anymore. I dont see why it's really necessary anymore for anything...

On the other hand though, only a few people (when selling) I've ever asked for that kind of information (name, signature, ODL number) have balked at me.

Those are the people that I have had a bad feeling about in the first place, and their refusal to do any kind of BOS confirmed my bad feelings. I always have wound up NOT selling to those people, and felt BETTER for it.

All the rest have been more than happy to do so, as have I when I have been the purchaser. I dont mind doing it, but I would rather not. I have nothing to hide, as Im sure the people I have dealt with in the past (that refused a BOS) did.

I guess you have to look at it from both sides really.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER allow someone to copy your DL#. Not if you care about not having your identity stolen. Anybody who demands that is a thief or way too anal to deal with. Just ensure the buyer is a resident by taking a quick LOOK at his DL or Conceal permit, do a bill of sale if you like ( I usually do), just like you would for any expensive item, and your butt is covered. Forget the background checks and crap, why perpetuate the registration database they keep? The more guns not in the registry, the better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top