JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess I am a little trusting on my end.

Then why do you want my ODL written down when the law doesn't even require paperwork at all? :D

Being a former FFL (9 years) I guess I am in the habit of taking down this information. I still feel that the chances of someone you sell FTF to using your ODL is extremely insignificant, but I do agree it could happen.

Thank you! I too am buying from someone I don't know, and am concerned about my ID. :s0155:

If you were to purchase a firearm from me, I would not DEMAND that you share that info, but I would need to see your ODL to ensure that you were a resident of Oregon.

Good idea, me too. :s0155:

Here is a question: would you be upset if I wrote down your vehicle plate number?

No. It's obviously public information, and it isn't as "dangerous" as my ODL for ID theft. With my ODL and CWP and my feedback on here, and considering that the law doesn't require you to write down anything, I'd think you were a bit over the top though.
:s0155:

I guess I am a little trusting on my end. Being a former FFL (9 years) I guess I am in the habit of taking down this information. I still feel that the chances of someone you sell FTF to using your ODL is extremely insignificant, but I do agree it could happen.
If you were to purchase a firearm from me, I would not DEMAND that you share that info, but I would need to see your ODL to ensure that you were a resident of Oregon.

Here is a question: would you be upset if I wrote down your vehicle plate number?

On some sort of form or bill of sale? Yes. It is absolutely NONE of your business what I drive or what the plate number of my vehicle is. This information does not need to be tied to a firearm transaction in any way, shape or form.

Have to agree, a business owner is legally obliged to protect your personal information. They also have a "reputation" to protect, and they are also easily found if something happens.

None of these things are true for FTF transactions. You do not generally know the other person, and only have a brief time period to judge them.

I have done one FTF transaction from this forum, and everything went well. He was even able to give me some recommendations on some non-relevant work I would like done on my yard. But with that said, I was packing for the meeting and I brought my fiancée who was also packing, and so was he. You really have know idea what you are getting into, and internet is a dangerous place for the unwary.:s0131:

On some sort of form or bill of sale? Yes. It is absolutely NONE of your business what I drive or what the plate number of my vehicle is. This information does not need to be tied to a firearm transaction in any way, shape or form.[/QUOTE

I never stated that it would be included on a bill of sale.

I asked this question to make people think. If someone could possibly use your ODL, they could also use your license plate # against you too. Maybe not to steal your identity, but calling in a false report of "man with a gun", or for brandishing etc. No matter what you do or how you approach it, selling FTF does have it's downfalls. It is up to each individual to do his/her best to ensure their safety and security. Stay safe out there.

Have to agree, a business owner is legally obliged to protect your personal information. They also have a "reputation" to protect, and they are also easily found if something happens.
-snip-

Doesn't an FFL also have to retain those records for the feds? Don't they have to protect them for that reason? They don't just leave them sitting around for people to see?

I dunno.

i usually use my own bill of sale form, which is 'lighter' than the WA state
variant
. In my "FS" I am up front about the requirement for
CPL and WA DL. NRA or GOA membership gets another $25 discount.
These are firm requirements. I've had less than a handful of folks who have
called me names but in over 30 years, I have never been found wanting of
buyers. Paperwork goes into the safety deposit box.

Folks who are concerned about their privacy are entitled to purchase based
on terms acceptable to them, I opine. As seller, so am I. Just sold a G17
for $290 within 48 hrs of posting. Smooth transaction.

one year, LEO did contact me. person I sold the pistol to re-sold to his friend,
who in turn, committed suicide. Q&A for few mins and interview completed.

First off, this is only what I do......I like to see trade ratings or references if I am going to trade with someone, then you can get a idea of what someone is like or if they are good for their word.

Bill Of sale is a MUST & I like to see ID to prove residency. because OR residents trade FTF with OR residents ONLY.

I get the guys full name & make him sign the bill of sale with both of our sigs. with the firearms Serial #'s. agreeing we are both able to own firearms.

If that helps

I agree with you. I also like FTF because you not only see who you are dealing with but you also get to see the item or items that you are going to buy VS just a picture. What you see is what you get IMO.

Also checking an ODL isnt always the way to go since there are a lot of military (out of state residents) people buying guns and they will probably not have an Oregon Driver License and wont need one to prove they are a resident of the state. They dont have to be as long as they have CURRENT orders in hand and a valid military ID.

I am a California resident and have a valid California ID/DL. That doesnt mean I cant buy an assualt weapon here. I buy them all the time through FFL up here.
So for me I dont care if you have an Oregon ID. I want to see a valid ID and/or Military ID. :)

FTF sale is just that you have to size up the person you are selling to or buying from. If anything seems a little off then don't deal. I have always checked my purchases through the local PD and never had an issue. Only once have I walked away from selling a pistol. The guy was the one who was intrested in the pistol but when it came time to make the deal he said "my girl is buying the gun not me". I told him that I wouldn't sell the gun with out a CPL. They were less than happy but walked away, I assumed they weren't armed (and I was) so felt safe in saying no to the deal. Most of the time it is good people doing a FTF. If a firearm ever came back to me I can say I sold the firearm FTF and when I sold the firearm. Nothing more is needed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top