JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I clean them before sale and I prefer buying a clean gun. Not an absolute deal breaker for me either. Tiny bit less respect for anyone too lazy to at least clean the bore. I want to see that bore!

I'll tell you a story. Many years ago (early 90's) I bought pretty much every gun and accessory from the same shop. I liked the folks, they where nice to me and I like to trade. One day I went in and the owner said "I just want to say thank you, We don't have a lot of customers that spend over $20,000 a year" I was shocked. At the time $20,000 constituted around 2/3's of my yearly income. The thing is that evey trade was booked as a sale. I would be buying a new gun evey few weeks but trading in stuff I bought 6 months ago. It was an eye opener though. According to Coinflations calculator $20,000 in 1990 money would be about $37,000 today. I make a whole lot more money these days but that still seems like an absurd number.

Ya I used to be a regular at a gun shop until the owner started selling on the net. Said he got better money on the good stuff. So look at me, I now shop here on the net and never go into his store:D

I always clean a gun before selling it, you get more for it because it looks better. A dirty gun is not a deal breaker for me but, I will definately not pay as much for it.

Clean, wiped free of surface dust, displayed in a padded zipper case and an offer to meet for a test fire - If I am the seller that is. I don't necessarily expect that as a buyer but it will be as the seller. Any seller showing a dirty item (gun or otherwise) is evidence of a deeper issue I want nothing to do with.

Last Edited:
I have never sold a gun, I have wondered why I bought one or two and I gave one away to a guy that wanted to try his hand at Gunsmithing. It was a Phoenix .22 pistol.... I think it had the words "Saturday Night Special" inscribed on it. I mentioned that I intended to actually destroy the gun before it hurt some one and this geeky friend declared a "Dibs" on it. After many assurances I let him take it.

It was clean when I gave it to him.

I have never offered enough for a dirty gun to buy one, though there are several I did offer on.

I always clean a gun before selling it, because I want the buyer to know I have taken care of it. NOT a 100% cleaning job, but 90%.

When I buy a gun, a little gun powder in hard to get places doesn't bother me, but if it's filthy, I take that as a sign of possible hidden problems, so I pass.

What really bothers me is dirty guns in a SHOP for sale. BUT a dirty gun did result in my scoring a sweet little Bersa 644 for $100 and when cleaned up shined like a new penny and shot beautifully.

Last Edited:
Motorcycles, I can see...the other two--you must be doing something wrong or just plain settling for something easy to play with.
In all honesty, I have raised three wonderful dogs to ripe old ages and had to have them all put down because it was their time. I blubbered like a baby at the loss of each of those dear friends, and swore, after the third dog, I would never own another. It was like putting down a family member. Just to damn hard on me. Women? Well, that's another story.

Private sale theory.

If he/she doesn't thoroughly inspect the firearm prior to finishing sale. His or her problem.

On a side note I do clean my firearms prior to sale. As well as state anything needed to state. However I repeat sale is still final.

Store theory.

Gun should always be clean. No excuse. Test fired would be even better if purchased into stock used. I've bought a gun from a used guns gun shop before. A Beretta CX4. It was unbelievably filthy. I lost all faith in that store afterwards.

Side note, I meticulously inspect any used firearm I by privately prior to handing over cash. I have even refused purchase before because of filth.

I used to always buy guns and in order to get another gun I would sell what I had a get something better or that I wanted at the time. Doing this I got rid of some of my favorite pieces and ended up at one point with only one firearm. I promised myself I wouldn't do that anymore, unless I just didn't like the firearm.

I've bought a couple dirty firearms before, but as long as it's a good deal I don't mind cleaning it. I like doing that part. But if someone is selling a filthy gun at a new price then I wouldn't be too happy and sure wouldn't buy it.

I have even refused purchase before because of filth.
So did I just last year - and from a shop! It was a 6" Trooper that was so dirty I couldn't tell if it was just crud buildup in one small area or damaged. Bottom line is if you can't take the time to clean before offering a gun for sale then expect to be passed on by potential buyers and offered less.

In all honesty, I have raised three wonderful dogs to ripe old ages and had to have them all put down because it was their time. I blubbered like a baby at the loss of each of those dear friends, and swore, after the third dog, I would never own another. It was like putting down a family member. Just to damn hard on me. Women? Well, that's another story.

Being a big game houndsman, I have always put my own dogs down. With me it's a matter of mutual respect. That last walk in the woods is a sad ritual, but when a hound can't do what he was bred for and lives for any longer, and is in constant pain, it's a kindness to spend his last moments with a loved one in the woods instead of with a vet tech in an office.

The best ones are the hardest, and I bury them with their collars on, so if anyone ever finds them they'll know they were worth something to somebody. I've known guys who've buried a favorite rifle with their dog as a similar sign of respect.

What really bothers me is dirty guns in a SHOP for sale. BUT a dirty gun did result in my scoring a sweet little Bersa 644 for $100 and when cleaned up shined like a new penny and shot beautifully.

I went to check out a Colt Mustang a co worker told me he wanted to sell but that "it was not functioning properly". I gave him 300 for it and took it home since it seemed to me it was just dirty as crap.

After I saw it had NEVER been cleaned properly and there was gunk ever where I polished it up and had to do a extreme polish on the ramp and it has yet to fail me so go ahead and never clean your gun. I like getting good deals and do not mind cleaning something up while I watch tv. It was obvious that the thing really had seen no oil in its life and was sticky from gunk when I looked at it so I took a chance and would again if someone had the same "issue" with a gun and does not want to fix it.

When I sell a gun I do not take as much time to clean as I might with something that is going in my safe but I at least clean the bore, feed ramp, and make sure it is oiled and wiped off well on the outside.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews