JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not unhappy or pointing fingers, but I have noticed that every single firearm I've bought in the last year has been dirty to some degree.

Everything from some schmutz in corners to full on nastiness.

I have yet to buy one that was 100% cleaned.

Do you clean your guns before selling them or do you figure the new owner will do it anyway so why bother.

Just curious.

One of the guys posted a picture of his gun for sale and with it several mags. The mag floor plates were muddy so I figured if he didn't take care of his stuff I won't buy from him. I can see burning up your ammo before the sale but to post muddy parts won't help the sale.

I have had many times where I ended up with things that I knew from the get go would not be part of my personal collection. Sometimes you just see a good deal. Sometimes there are packages where you buy several with the intent of selling all but one. So I cant say that I would clean guns just to sell them. If I happened to notice it was filthy Id clean it but I wouldn't go out of my way otherwise. I probably dont clean my guns as often as I should. If I hauled out a couple and shot a few hundred rounds over the weekend I dont feel bad about sticking them back in the safe until next time. There are exceptions. I have a few high end guns that would not go back in the safe dirty. Now that you have made me hyper aware that I might be "graded" by the purchaser on the cleanliness I will give stuff at least a cursory glance before rehoming it.

The ones I've bought have also all been smoking deals so beggars can't be too choosy I suppose:)

In fact at least one of them I am positive could not have functioned at all, much less reliably, before I cleaned it.

I pay less for dirty guns.
What really turns me off and runs up a red flag is seeing the screw heads all buggered up by some bubba sitting at his kitchen table, and not using hollow ground screwdrivers.

I'm quite sure that one of the "bargain" pistols I bought, was a bargain because it was never lubed. I got it cheap, cleaned it up and greased it, and it never failed. :) There is an upside to gun owners who don't take care of their weapons.
Brent

If Im buying some cheep milsurp I expect some cleaning work. But I otherwise wont bother with a dirty used gun.

in med school in my surgery rotation, I once got yelled at because I put the tape on the incision crooked after the suturing was done. I was told that if it looks like a bubblegumty job on the outside, the patient will assume you did a bubblegumty job on the inside.

So if a gun looks dirty on the outside, Im going to assume the stuff on the inside got treated like bubblegum.

It still surprises me to go to a gun show and see some old collector guns with what looks like moss growing in the breech. Geez, at least blow the dust off of them if you want them to be purchased.

When I sell a gun, it gets completely cleaned and lubed. I like to turn over a nice, clean gun - which is how I keep them at home. But yes, I've bought a number of used guns that clearly had not been cleaned. It does surprise me that people don't bother to clean them for a sale - and it makes me wonder if folks even know how to clean them. The big one seems to be .22's. I don't know if it's just too much trouble or what, but the last Marlin I bought looked like it may never have been taken down for a nice deep clean. I spent some time with it and it cleaned up very nicely.

All that said, I've yet to pass on a gun purchase just because it's dirty. It does irritate me, but if the gun is in good working order, wear isn't excessive, bore looks good, I'll still take it. Usually the grit and grime cleans up pretty nicely. The last pistol I bought had so much lube it was literally dripping from the gun. It was almost like trying to de-cosmo a Mosin (not quite as bad though) ;)

Bought my S&W used from a shop, and it was pretty dirty. Probably so nobody would notice the crown was jacked up. Spent $550 for a used revolver that doesn't even shoot accurately. Learn a lesson from me, that dirt can hide big problems.

I'll tell you a story. Many years ago (early 90's) I bought pretty much every gun and accessory from the same shop. I liked the folks, they where nice to me and I like to trade. One day I went in and the owner said "I just want to say thank you, We don't have a lot of customers that spend over $20,000 a year" I was shocked. At the time $20,000 constituted around 2/3's of my yearly income. The thing is that evey trade was booked as a sale. I would be buying a new gun evey few weeks but trading in stuff I bought 6 months ago. It was an eye opener though. According to Coinflations calculator $20,000 in 1990 money would be about $37,000 today. I make a whole lot more money these days but that still seems like an absurd number.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top