JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Based on your experience do you recommend selling or trading at Cabela's? Please explain.
Looking to unload a rifle, shotgun, and pistol as a group.

Unless you need to sell quickly what I would do is take them in to one. See what they offer you. If it sounds "ok" you're done. If not or you're not sure post pic here and ask what you want to sell them for. Here you would have to be willing to meet at a dealer to transfer them and that costs a few bucks. If you can't do better here you can always just head back to Cabela's. If you describe what you have and maybe put up a few pics others here will be able to give realistic estimates of what they would sell for too.

Cabela's is no different then a used car dealer, they will undercut you, insult you, your guns and then try to make you feel that it's okay but they do that to you.:mad::mad::mad:
Nope, never in my lifetime will I ever do this in the store.... nowwww, I have bought & sold many items in their parking lot....;););)

Cabela's is no different then a used car dealer, they will undercut you, insult you, your guns and then try to make you feel that it's okay but they do that to you.:mad::mad::mad:
Nope, never in my lifetime will I ever do this in the store.... nowwww, I have bought & sold many items in their parking lot....;););)
That is BS, they are hourly wage guys.....they (the workers) have guidelines they have to follow but don't personally profit from screwing anyone. They (the company) want to make customers so they can sell other items with a 300% mark up like clothing. That is where the real money is.

to each his own. I'll never deal with them.
They do a tremendous job of bringing (evil) hunting, fishing and shooting back into the mainstream of American culture. They unabashedly promote the lifestyle into places that you live. It is an important part of developing young people raised by soft headed feminine families into our world. That is what will preserve our rights and the activities we enjoy. Walmart sells some guns and ammo but rarely promote the activities associated with them. Little guys don't have the money (or courage) to do it.....preferring to survive in dingy little stores in a strip mall (like the marijuana stores in your region) These guys are important.

Last Edited:
I never knew they bought/ traded guns. It would be nice to see what they would offer on a handgun I want to get rid of. I usually go to a local place but it would be nice to get a second quote.

I rarely (never) look at new guns there but they have some world class stuff in there gun library. I happened by the Lacy store on its grand opening weekend, Jack O'Connor's son was working in the library. They had shipped high quality guns into the store just to get the used gun racks full and operating. Sometimes I browse the shelves and see nothing interesting (to me) but most times there are some very cool unique guns there. Little guys can't afford to stock a 20,000 shotgun or an original 1840 flintlock. They trust you to handle them unsupervised, just open the door and see what the gun is about.

Last Edited:
I never knew they bought/ traded guns. It would be nice to see what they would offer on a handgun I want to get rid of. I usually go to a local place but it would be nice to get a second quote.
From my experience and depending on the handgun, Cabela's will low-ball whatever the Blue Book says. Some of the people working the floor may know something about Firearms but again from my experience, they work from some kind of list that says they can offer X amount and no more. As I said before, I'm not a Cabela's fan and would find another place to do business. And, here is a place. But then I've seen some very overpriced Guns being offered here. Those do seem to sit for some time and depending on how hard headed the Seller is they may sit for ever. Colt Handguns are an example of the true craziness of the Gun Market.

Good Luck with your selling.

It is simply the difference between retail and wholesale. Nothing more sinister than that. Everyone sells something for more than they paid for it......even if it is there own labor. That is how we all survive in a capitalistic (The best system there is) society. How do you make a living? My brother has 14 employees, he charges 70.00 an hr to his customers, pays his guys 25.00 an hr + benefits, pays for the shop and all the expenses. His guys cost of living is maby 100.00 a day(?) so they have a profit of 100.00 a day. That is the way the system works.

What guns do you want to sell?
  • Smith and Wesson Model 39-2 very good/excellent condition Pachmayr grips and Bianchi leather holster
  • Smith Corona 1903A3 30-06 excellent condition
  • Franchi 48/AL 12 guage semi-auto excellent conditon
Maybe my Weatherby 30-06 with scope. Haven't decided yet......

• Smith and Wesson Model 39-2 very good/excellent condition Pachmayr grips and Bianchi leather holster
  • If I weren't absolutely Gunpoor I'd be very interested. I've been looking for one for some time since I found the Liberty Ammunition stuff for the 9mm. I had a very bad experience with one many moons ago and sold the one I had. Now, I'm looking again but the Dollars just aren't around. So, Good Luck.

Guess I need to post some pics and prices in the Classifieds and see what happens.
It Certainly couldn't hurt. I'm a Smith and Wesson Collector and will say that the more Complete the M-39-2 is, box, paperwork, cleaning kit, etc. it is the better the price will be. A simple 90%-95%, Shooter should still bring about $400. At least, that's what I'm seeing. Again, Good Luck.

I bought a very old revolver from the gun library at my local (Tualatin)Cabela's. Surprised when I found out they could take an offer. Made the price very reasonable. Second surprise it came with a vintage holster making the gun price that much more reasonable. Fast friendly service.

Oto,

Being in the weapons industry for years.
The guys are correct! If you do not want your feelings hurt! Best to sell them yourself. Also one has to understand that Cabela's and others buy a lot of weapons and get the best prices due to the volume purchased each year. So if they can buy new guns at a discount price they will not be willing to pay anything close to what your weapons are worth.
Sniper03

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR