JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i am not validating not even sure what that means. but I think about concealed carry defense use situations so that I have a better understanding of situations. I would say it would never happen to me but two times I have had my hand on the gun but never pointed.
This is a hypothetical for me since I do not go. Really did not expect to be rebuked for asking the question.

First of all, I wouldn't take it personally, folks on this forum have some pretty strong feelings/opinions about folks that carry and intentionally put themselves in bad situations. You already stated you don't go to these things, so that excludes you.

This topic has been discussed, in depth, on this forum in a variety of ways and over several different circumstances. In general the view here is - don't ever put yourself in a potential bad or dangerous situation when carrying - period. It shows poor judgment and reflects poorly on the gun community when something goes wrong as a result of that choice.

Back to your original question - I think a person who goes to these types of things, carrying, really is asking for trouble - one, because you're likely to be targeted for wearing, say, a Trump hat, and you're likely, at least in areas such as Portland, to be seen as the bad guy because you have a gun. It's a bad decision for anyone to do it - whether lawful to do so or not - the cards are stacked against you.

In short, don't start none, won't be none.

I have a distinct fear of bumbling into one of these rallies without knowing about it. Seems like this area protests at the drop of a hat and I am intentionally out of the political loop in a lot of ways. If I am out and about, minding my business and not at work, I am armed.

I have a distinct fear of bumbling into one of these rallies without knowing about it. Seems like this area protests at the drop of a hat and I am intentionally out of the political loop in a lot of ways. If I am out and about, minding my business and not at work, I am armed.

That's a far cry different from intentionally showing up, marked as someone that antifa would likely single out. Being an innocent bystander when this moves into your area would give a lot more leeway. That said, if I saw that crap coming toward me, I'd do my best to get the heck away from them.

That's a far cry different from intentionally showing up, marked as someone that antifa would likely single out. Being an innocent bystander when this moves into your area would give a lot more leeway. That said, if I saw that crap coming toward me, I'd do my best to get the heck away from them.
Same here, but lets just say I tend to have rotten luck. Also, for some unusual circumstances, I am known by first name to some violent protesters. I also stay out of downtown as much as humanly possible as a decent portion of the homeless population knows me as well. Because of my job, I am a high risk individual downtown.

As others have said, going to a "rally" (a better word is "protest", or even better, "riot") is just asking for trouble. If you go armed, you are asking for double trouble - not just with other people, but with the law. Not sure exactly about the various laws, but I do recall some mention made about laws prohibiting showing up at protests with weapons.

A smart person does not go looking for trouble, they avoid it. We don't buy, use and/or carry firearms because we are looking for trouble, we do this to avoid trouble if at all possible. If we think that there is going to be trouble, our first inclination and generally actions, are to avoid the trouble in the first place. Don't be one of those people that makes us look bad by going and looking for trouble while armed with a gun.

And yes, I know you said "hypothetical", but that is my answer.

I have been to a few low key protests - mostly a bunch of motorcyclists showing up at the capital protesting helmet laws (I always wear a helmet, but it is a matter of freedom) and there were no counter protests or any expected trouble, except for the LEOs who busted a few for various infractions while riding just to hassle us. But I did not go armed IIRC - no sense in asking for trouble.

Best answer.

2nd best are the posts saying not to go to the rally's in the first place.

So, just for the sake of argument/discussion. Aren't we, the gun owning, second amendment supporters, always being called to "Rally" against unjust infringement of the 2nd amendment? Does this mean that when we do go to such rally's that we should not carry? What about when ANTIFA and the far left have accomplished most of what they are working for and start counter protesting at pro 2nd rally's? It's likely to come to that isn't it? I'm picturing a situation like the one in Charlotesville. One side was labeled "BAD, and the other "GOOD". It didn't matter that both sides had the right to speak. Even though one side is considered reprehensible in our country they had the right to speak, dammit! There may come a time in the future, especially if the left gets in high office for many terms that they will want to turn the whole country the way Cali, DC, New York, et al are. Are we to just stand down and let them obliterate the 2nd?

I have been to a few low key protests - mostly a bunch of motorcyclists showing up at the capital protesting helmet laws (I always wear a helmet, but it is a matter of freedom) and there were no counter protests or any expected trouble, except for the LEOs who busted a few for various infractions while riding just to hassle us. But I did not go armed IIRC - no sense in asking for trouble.

And for the record, I agree with the general advice given in the thread. And I'm not likely to be getting into any protest clashes between "Pro"/"Con" anything and would certainly NOT be one to carry to such an event.

So, just for the sake of argument/discussion. Aren't we, the gun owning, second amendment supporters, always being called to "Rally" against unjust infringement of the 2nd amendment? Does this mean that when we do go to such rally's that we should not carry? What about when ANTIFA and the far left have accomplished most of what they are working for and start counter protesting at pro 2nd rally's? It's likely to come to that isn't it? I'm picturing a situation like the one in Charlotesville. One side was labeled "BAD, and the other "GOOD". It didn't matter that both sides had the right to speak. Even though one side is considered reprehensible in our country they had the right to speak, dammit! There may come a time in the future, especially if the left gets in high office for many terms that they will want to turn the whole country the way Cali, DC, New York, et al are. Are we to just stand down and let them obliterate the 2nd?

And for the record, I agree with the general advice given in the thread. And I'm not likely to be getting into any protest clashes between "Pro"/"Con" anything and would certainly NOT be one to carry to such an event.

Worst case, the 2nd civil war:(.

If I'm going to a pro 2nd rally then yes I would carry.

If I'm going to protest a protest (not going to do that probably ever) then no I'd leave my gun in the car or at home. (I'd probably have a bat on though)

I have too much to loose at home to go getting in trouble.

everything has basically been said. Personally I would question any one of my friends or aquaintances that said they want to go to one of these such events.

I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from harm not so I can feel safe walking into a stupid situation where I shouldn't have been in the first place.

Worst case, the 2nd civil war:(.

If I'm going to a pro 2nd rally then yes I would carry.

If I'm going to protest a protest (not going to do that probably ever) then no I'd leave my gun in the car or at home. (I'd probably have a bat on though)

I have too much to loose at home to go getting in trouble.
I agree the days of putting everything I own in a sea bag is long past.

These little miscreants want to do nothing but destroy property and hurt people at the drop of a hat. They deserve every bit of reprisal they garner. If they are shot to death in the process, so be it.

I think you know no one here would advocate for anything that harms our 2nd amendment rights. What I think most are trying to convey is that with those rights do come some responsibility. Just as it's foolish and illegal to yell 'fire' in a movie theater or other public venue (assuming there is no actual fire), it's similarly foolish to be armed and intentionally walk into a situation where you can be reasonably sure there will be some bad sh!t going down.

That said, I do advocate carrying everywhere you're legally allowed to do so. I also advocate avoiding any places/situations where problems are likely to come up. For example, I've been to several rallies in Salem, at the State Capitol. Some for 2nd amendment rights, some for other issues. Each time, I was armed. But at no time, was I expecting Antifa to show up and start being all violent and crap. They tend to gather more in downtown PDX. And for that reason, I would NOT attend a pro-2A rally in Downtown PDX, and if I did, I'd leave the gun at home - because that is a place it's likely you'll encounter some bad actors. And since we know the police and the politicians in Portland won't protect our rights, it's best to just avoid such an encounter. Does that suck that we have to think that way, yes, of course it does - but I'll be damned if I'm going to be the fall guy so some POS antifa f&ck can get his 15 minutes of fame. BTW, I feel the same about being in certain parts of Portland any time of any day, whether near a rally or not, because I just don't feel safe in some of those areas - even though I'm legally allowed to carry.

We need to fully support and exercise our 2nd amendment rights. But there truly are some situations where it's best that we don't get in the middle of things. Let those idiots beat themselves up. In the meantime, until Antifa starts causing problems at the state capitol (which I don't recall them doing to date), then I'll happily carry at a rally there. My guess is Salem is too far away for Antifa morons to show up - they don't have cars to travel that far and they probably don't want to be too far away from mommy's basement so they can get their pizza rolls and Mountain Dew after the protest is over o_O

How many post does it take to be allowed to ask a question? I missed the rule on that.
So this will be my last post on an apparently unfriendly community.

You really want to judge the entire forum community on some responses in one thread? There is a lot of good information on this forum and a lot of great people. If someone isn't acting the way you like, you can easily use the 'ignore' feature and block them so you don't see their responses any longer. Being on the forum as long as you have, I'd expect you've seen that this is a very friendly place, but also a place where humor and smartassery are quite prevalent. There were some good responses to your question in this thread - hopefully you didn't gloss over those.

How many post does it take to be allowed to ask a question? I missed the rule on that.

Maybe Salem is different than Portland and you didn't fully comprehend what everyone was saying to you. If you find yourself surrounded by rioting hords you have no choice. Present a gun and the legal system will not be on your side. In Portland it's just a fact.

You can either walk the opposite direction or risk losing everything you worked for. I don't think prior post saying that was too harsh.

I am not pointing this comment out to anyone in particular...
We have a rule about being excellent to each other.
Most folks on this forum are not intending their marks to be hurtful.
Please remember that much meaning can be lost in electronic communication and posts can easily be misread.
Think before you post and respond.
Andy

Like etrain said. There's a ton of good people here and very few that may, just seem, testy at times. True "Richard Cranium's" don't last long here. Believe me, if you are a gun lover, you need this site and we need you. :D

Are you kidding? You can't leave! Because of you, @Camelfilter has given us this:

View attachment 389299

That, my friend, is a bunny. Wearing a pancake for a hat.

Where else will you ever come across such treasures as that?

Be happy. Have a pancake.

^^^ ifish. The grand mistress of all things pure and perfect would throw that stupid rabbit with the pancake up on a thread that offended her sensibilities when she closed them.

Maybe I'm missing something about why carrying at a protest would be any different than carrying anywhere else.

* Carry concealed, not open
* Behave only in an unquestionably peaceful manner
* If anything bad starts to happen, LEAVE
* Don't take your gun out unless not taking it out means you're gonna die

You know, just like every other time you carry...

Food for thought: Might suggest that if the protest group is known for violence "just do not go". Why look for trouble? i'm thinking those that want to go to a "conflict" protest where known violence is likely to be demonstrated, either side likely has its' own share of nut jobs including people in this community that could be radical in their pro 2nd amendment views and predisposed to 'acting up' . Maybe some 2nd amendment supporters just do not think straight if they are intent on engaging the enemy at a violent prone demonstration. Those that think straight just stay home and can be seen by the wisdom on this thread. Go to peaceful protests A OK.

If at a pro 2A rally & the opposition shows up then we are expected to leave? F*** THAT!!! We are getting steamrolled by the far Left because we are not standing up to them & callimg them out on their BS.
Those that say "I have too much to loose" will not stand up to be counted and the SOS will continue to happen (staying on the couch is benign to our 2A).... It's time to stand and be counted!!!

If at a pro 2A rally & the opposition shows up then we are expected to leave? F*** THAT!!! We are getting steamrolled by the far Left because we are not standing up to them & callimg them out on their BS.
Those that say "I have too much to loose" will not stand up to be counted and the SOS will continue to happen (staying on the couch is benign to our 2A).... It's time to stand and be counted!!!

Just my .02 cents caveman. But I am guessing if your at a pro2A rally then we wouldn't be in the wrong place as most at the rally would be carrying. The rallies down town Portland are the ones that I would avoid and are the ones that got Strickland in trouble. The guys that go to something like that are looking for trouble and could cost you your rights even if you are in the right for drawing your weapon.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top