JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it is a lot of scope for a lot of money.
It depends on what you are doing with it as to if it is worth it or not.
Take your time and make very sure it is what meets your needs.
When i buy optics I look at what I want. Then I think about what i was seeing with the scope and go to another store with different lighting and check out the same scope and see if the results are the same. By then I know the best price and if I am shopping at my favorite shop and someone else has a better price. I see if shop will meet or beat other price. Win-Win for me.

Scopes are like guns. It has to feel right. I have walked away from some "great" optics because it does not feel right.

Like most scope manufacturers Vortex has scopes from low cost Chinese imports to high end tactical units. Their mid range and high end models seem to me to be superior to others in the same price range. The Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP is favorably compared to the Nightforce and cost 40% less.

FWIW and after years of experience hunting all over the West, I think too many people buy a scope that's way too powerful and hard to hold steady. For a scope that will go from Western woods to Eastern desert, I prefer a 2x7 power out to 500 yards. Think about it. 7x pulls something in to the equivalent of less than 100 yds if the target is at 500 yds. In the woods, 2x is excellent, and I could live with iron sights except the light gathering ability of the scope is nice.

Now, if your thing is blasting at long range 1,000 yard targets, that's different but I still think some people still buy way too powerful a scope.

IIRC, Vortex products are not nearly as pricey as Zeiss or Swarovski Optik, so keep that in perspective.

I have a Swarovski 2.5-10X on one of my '06 rifles, while the other one wears a Bushnell Elite 3-9X. The Swarovski is really a good scope, and the Bushnell definitely has earned its keep.

I have a Leupold on my .308 and a Bausch & Lomb/Bushnell on my .300 Savage.
My .257 Roberts currently has a Burris on top that is a gem, IMHO. Heck, all of my scopes are good glass, truly.

You can spend less money and still have very good optics. it depends upon what you want, and what you NEED from a scope.

Buy the best you can afford and never look back because you should never be disappointed.

For that price range I'd look into the Sightron SIII. I know the Vortex has allot of "neat" features including superior reticles, but the Sightron is a higher quality optic and I would have more faith in it personally. I mostly run Leupold mk IV's... they're the best compromise for my personal use.

I have a cheapo Vortex 6.5X24 scope ($200) on my AR.Clear and bright....after you find your eye relief.If it's on anything above 8X,it's just terrible to get the relief lined up good.Not something I would want for any fast shooting.The AR I have it on is my heavy barrel 24" varmint.Definitely a bench rest type gun.
I looked at another cheaper brand yesterday (sorry can't recall the name) and there was none of that to deal with.
I have always looked a scopes and prices the same as I looked a guns.Save up and get a better one.My Vortex has reenforced that for me.

Now the only reason I went against my usual ways,was because there isn't much recoil with an AR.If it was a heavier caliber,or I was going to use the rifle in adverse conditions,I never would have bought it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top