JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm tired of walking back and forth to see if I'm on target while shooting iron so I know I need a spotting scope. Right now I'm interested in under 200 yards but later I'd like to go long(er) range when shooting with optics. So, could a good rifle scope serve as a spotting scope?Or, should I bite the bullet and buy a dedicated spotting scope? Ideally it would be compact and would be a 'buy once, cry once' that can serve me from here on out.. So, what say you?

I was where you are now until I got a deal on a spotting scope a couple weeks ago. Haven't been out with it yet but, side by side off my rest, I'm sure it will help. It was either buy a spotting scope or a quad:)

A good spotting scope will go to 20-50 x,,way too much magnification for a rifle scope especially if you want to hunt with it.

Duh.. never thought of that. What would you recommend for ranges in the .223/.308 range (with optics)? I don't want to go through the churn of buying one after another but get something that I can grow into. Thanks!

I was where you are now until I got a deal on a spotting scope a couple weeks ago. Haven't been out with it yet but, side by side off my rest, I'm sure it will help. It was either buy a spotting scope or a quad:)

What scope did you get and please update us once you get'r out.

Yep Nightforce! And a couple other high end scopes..But beyond 200 its best to have a dedicated spotting scope. I bit the bullet a few years ago and bought a Kowa TSN-82 and its amazing...but they have gone up in price like everything else..

What scope did you get and please update us once you get'r out.

It's a Simmons "Blazer" 20x60x60. I've needed one and really couldn't afford a really nice one. The one I got is around $120. I scored mine new for around $39. One time deal: didn't pass it up. If it doesn't do what I need it to do for the price I paid I'd be surprised. I looked at the moon with it the other night and there are some serious craters on there! The two things I don't care for on this one are:
1 the focus dial is way to sensitive.
2 the angled eye piece is awkward.

You ask if a good rifle scope can be used as a spotting scope and the answer is yes, provided it has enough power. If you are already going to have a rifle at the range with a high power scope while you shoot iron sights on another rifle, then you bet. I have a nice Sightron spotting scope but I never take it to the range when I shoot 100-300 yards. The reason why is I almost always have one of my target rifles with 8-32x scopes on them. I can see bullet holes on white paper out to 300 yards with it no problem. At 200 yards I can see bullet holes with my Nikon 5-20x scopes on my varmint rifles. Anything less than 20x though you might struggle to see the bullet holes at 200 yards. I doubt the best of 3-9x scopes would do you a lot of good as a spotter though, at any distance beyond 100 yards.

For hunting I would never even consider using a rifle scope mounted on a rifle or otherwise for a spotter. I have Nikon window mount for my spotting scope and that is a nice setup. I can glass a hillside from the comfort of my truck. Spotters have a hole on the bottom of them so you can mount them to a tri-pod, so when I hike in and want to spot, that is the solution.

Harbor Freight has a 'adequate' spotting scope for around $49.00. Get a good tripod and it will 'suffice' for a 'poor mans' target spotting scope. And that's all I have ta' say about that.

bcdon- Buy the best you can afford and wile you are seeing ragged holes on paper at any range or counting antlers at a distance the average hunter cannot conceive, you will have spent the best money a shooter, hunter can invest; after his firearm, scope and binoculars.
Silver Hand

Duh.. never thought of that. What would you recommend for ranges in the .223/.308 range (with optics)? I don't want to go through the churn of buying one after another but get something that I can grow into. Thanks!

I looked around at a gun show and found an older Minolta 20-50x spotting scope for 60 bucks, Ziese(sp) makes the Minolta glass. I don't think you can go wrong with a major brand name good enough to have a life time warranty like Nikon, Weaver ect..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top