JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lets break it down, the cost of the boat it's self was about 50k give or take, that includes the main and kicker engines! Then there is the gear, figure 10k, the loss of business for one season, 100k! Then you have injury, which we don't know any thing about, but the boat owner looks to be of retirement age, so I could image a hip and or shoulder got dinged during his short trip over the side! So, about half the damage demand! Then you double that amount of actuals for punitive damages, Punishment to be more accurate! This make Larsons actions more then just sting, it should guarantee he never does any thing stupid again, and further, an on going reminder to make sure he never puts any ones life at risk again because of his stupidity! I hope they toss the book at this azz and make him pay every cent, while making his life hell while their at it!:mad::mad::mad:

They all lived with minor injuries so they made the right choices. Not worth risking bodily injury to try and save boat. It happened too quickly to do much more than they did in my opinion. If he had tried too ramp up the kicker and steer away he would very possibly got killed.

They all lived with minor injuries so they made the right choices. Not worth risking bodily injury to try and save boat. It happened too quickly to do much more than they did in my opinion. If he had tried too ramp up the kicker and steer away he would very possibly got killed.

Agreed, if they had had the big motors already running, then I could see squirting out of the way, otherwise, a dive over the side was the best option!:)

Years ago I was on one of my 60 foot steel salvage boats off from Santa Barbara. Those boats (I owned several) were converted LCM-6 landing craft with High gunnels and square barge like sides. There were a couple of young idiots on jet skies running around jumping our wake and just being stupid at 40 mph around my 10 knot boat. One of them lost control and hit the side of our boat about 3 feet above our waterline at maby 30 mph. The jet ski exploded and immediately sank in a couple of hundred feet of water, my commercial divers jumped in the water and rescued the young driver that was bleeding and unconscious. His buddy sped away and we never saw him again. We radioed the USCG and took him to the commercial dock and an awaiting ambulance. He spent a few days in the hospital being treated for a concussion and shock.

In 1979 I was flying Local Oil Patrol and SARpat in a USCG H3F in San Diego Harbor just off one of the aircraft carriers, heading towards the Coronado Bridge and Navy ship alley. There was a barge in the center of the channel that we were overtaking, and just as we passed the stern I witnessed a fast speedboat careen off the side of the barge toward the stern, overturn, and sink. I don't know if they got distracted watching us overhead or what. Anyway, we turned back and called base for a patrol boat, but the occupants of the speedboat were gone. Divers eventually found it at the bottom of the harbor.

BTW, we used to take out a friends 24' SeaRay and anchor off of Long Beach near the platforms. We often dragged the anchor and I sometimes wondered if we would wind up on the beach or under a platform.

:s0114:

i hear ya on no drinkin while boating!!

I used to drink beer all day long while out on a waterski/camp trip.:oops: Quit after they changed the DUI laws to include ANY vehicle/vessel. Oh well.

Most often did not wear lifejackets while out for a warm day on a lake, nor while in my drift boat unless we were approaching Class 3 or better rapids. There was one time tho that I was really tired rowing the Grande Ronde at the end of a 3 day trip as we approached Powatka takeout. I miss timed a single stroke that was necessary and we got stuck on top of a submerged boulder.:(:mad: Tipped up and to the side, I ordered everyone to put on life jackets... you should have seen the women's faces! Especially 15 min later when I told them they might have to get out. o_O Finally, we decided to put the women on the wrong side of the boat, the downstream side, some of the weight on the rock was relieved, and my buddy was able to use one of the oars to push us off. :cool:

Used to gauge motor vehicle trips in the number of 6r's it would take to get home. Used to spend all night drinking and dancing, then drive home. Used to drink many pitchers of beer with the Chief of Police and the County Sheriff then feel pretty safe about driving home. Those days are gone. Oh my misspent youth. IDK how I survived.

I used to drink beer all day long while out on a waterski/camp trip.:oops: Quit after they changed the DUI laws to include ANY vehicle/vessel. Oh well.

Most often did not wear lifejackets while out for a warm day on a lake, nor while in my drift boat unless we were approaching Class 3 or better rapids. There was one time tho that I was really tired rowing the Grande Ronde at the end of a 3 day trip as we approached Powatka takeout. I miss timed a single stroke that was necessary and we got stuck on top of a submerged boulder.:(:mad: Tipped up and to the side, I ordered everyone to put on life jackets... you should have seen the women's faces! Especially 15 min later when I told them they might have to get out. o_O Finally, we decided to put the women on the wrong side of the boat, the downstream side, some of the weight on the rock was relieved, and my buddy was able to use one of the oars to push us off. :cool:

Used to gauge motor vehicle trips in the number of 6r's it would take to get home. Used to spend all night drinking and dancing, then drive home. Used to drink many pitchers of beer with the Chief of Police and the County Sheriff then feel pretty safe about driving home. Those days are gone. Oh my misspent youth. IDK how I survived.
yep. times definately have changed since i was in my teens and im only almost 30.

Lets break it down, the cost of the boat it's self was about 50k give or take, that includes the main and kicker engines! Then there is the gear, figure 10k, the loss of business for one season, 100k! Then you have injury, which we don't know any thing about, but the boat owner looks to be of retirement age, so I could image a hip and or shoulder got dinged during his short trip over the side! So, about half the damage demand! Then you double that amount of actuals for punitive damages, Punishment to be more accurate! This make Larsons actions more then just sting, it should guarantee he never does any thing stupid again, and further, an on going reminder to make sure he never puts any ones life at risk again because of his stupidity! I hope they toss the book at this azz and make him pay every cent, while making his life hell while their at it!:mad::mad::mad:
His liability insurance will both fight the claim and eventually pay the bill. The only way to effect him personally is via some criminal action. Punitive damages are frequently not allowed depending on the court jurisdiction and applicable laws. That is why lawyers pad anything they can represent as a perminent injury. That can be be evaluated as true damage. If they wrote a check for the boat and equipment quickley, there would be little loss in busisness income, off course if the plaintiff was incapacitated for a period of time, that would be damages.

You make it sound like it was the fishermens fault for not attempting to move the boat ?

From the time they see the boat comming, count the time it in seconds simple use the timer on your phone then let us all know that he had time to move the boat

I'll be waiting for your message

No ones saying the fisherman messed up, just looking for ways they might have avoided the moron.

I just believe he should of grabbed the pro kicker and gave it 100 percent one way or the other, he still would of had time to bailed if need be.
I had the same thing happen to me at Oregon city, yet I only lost a rod. If I would of did what he did, that video would of been me.

Not sticking up for Larson, most of these boat operators on the river are the biggest idiots that all they care about is looking good for the next Facebook post.

I'm a fisherman and a troller, for quite a few years. After watching that video numerous times there's no way ANY ONE would have been able to maneuver out of that. Even Fred, unless he wasn't fishing and just waiting for any boat to come toward him and then speed away with the big motor. With what the fishers boat weighed and the lack of power from only the kicker, also consider the only way would have been to turn to port and hammer the throttle. I don't think that boat could have made one boat length in the time that cruiser was on them from the moment we saw them wave and yell. Even if he hadn't been standing, waving and yelling, and hit the throttle instead, they would more than likely still been hit. Who the hell is going to get on the throttle with evasive maneuvers when a boat is still 100 yards away anyhow?

I don't feel that law suit is too much either.

Argonaut - You're assuming the guy HAS insurance on his boat. Unlike your car, there's no law that I know of requiring a power boat to be insured. I hate to say it - but perhaps that should change. There's too many incidents like this these days - more people in boats, less common sense and care by boat operators, even though we have to take a "training" course to get that lifetime boater ID card.

Idiots like Larsen are going to cause us to have a Driver License type boater card in the future, with the same insurance requirements we have on our automobiles - at least for liability.

There's too few marine law enforcement boats out there for the numbers of boats and boaters during the busy seasons.

Not too long ago a guy was kayak fishing on the Willamette near Sellwood and got hit by another fisherman - really close call on that one. He had his GoPro rolling on that one, he was anchored up with a flag on a pole for visibility. Guy on the troll was not paying attention and damn near killed the kayak guy.

Sadly, there's always going to be some distracted or inebriated yahoo that ruins the party for everyone else.

Idiots like Larsen are going to cause us to have a Driver License type boater card in the future,

We do. :rolleyes: It's not that hard to pass though. And it doesn't need renewing, And SHOOOOSH! Don't give the state the idea for something else to charge me for! :cool:

Spend enough time on the Columbia and you'll see plenty of numskulls steering into potential disaster.
The Coast Guard will never run out of business.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top