JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is really ugly........they needed a bigger boat. It looked like a motorcycle arguing with a semi........the semi may be wrong but it will always win.

I was there launching my boat when they where tying both boats up. Tried talking to the people that where in the boat but they where in shock and did say much. Can't believe no one was killed one of the worst boat wrecks I have seen and I seen a few while doing time in the Coast Guard.
I made sure I had my life vest on that day.

Last Edited:
I was there launching my boat when they where tying both boats up. Tried talking to the people that where in the boat but they where in shock and did say much. Can't believe no one was killed one of the worst boat wrecks I have seen and I seen a few while doing time in the Coast Guard.
I made sure I whore my life vest that day.
Good point about always having a vest on while out on the water. With all that heavy clothing on you have little chance once you hit the water without one.

So I kinda have some experience with with boats HEHEE but about maybe ten years ago or more I can't remember my sister's husbands dad had a Salmon troller called the ICELANDER fishing out of Newport Oregon well him and his deck hand where sleeping about 8 miles off the cost of Oregon lights on just drifting they do that at night . anyway a giant crab boat shrimp boat plowed into them and in about 3 min the ICELANDER WAS GONE to the bottom of the sea my sister's father in-law Bob and deck hand Chad got out alive but very cold the guy on wheel watch on the big boat was sleeping at the wheel

About 4 years ago I took a week vacation and went out with my brother in-law on one of there boats and we did the same thing fish in the day drifting and sleeping at night well I woke up about 4 am to take a leak lol my leak saved us from having a big leak because we were about 25 yards from another boat doing the same thing lol I woke my brother in-law and we avoid a big mess 6 miles off Oregon coast

Years ago I was on one of my 60 foot steel salvage boats off from Santa Barbara. Those boats (I owned several) were converted LCM-6 landing craft with High gunnels and square barge like sides. There were a couple of young idiots on jet skies running around jumping our wake and just being stupid at 40 mph around my 10 knot boat. One of them lost control and hit the side of our boat about 3 feet above our waterline at maby 30 mph. The jet ski exploded and immediately sank in a couple of hundred feet of water, my commercial divers jumped in the water and rescued the young driver that was bleeding and unconscious. His buddy sped away and we never saw him again. We radioed the USCG and took him to the commercial dock and an awaiting ambulance. He spent a few days in the hospital being treated for a concussion and shock. That was when jet skies were fairly new and rare. I can't imagine what it would be like today on a warm weekend day. One of my buddies ran a converted 160 foot mine sweeper sister ship to John Wayne's Wild Goose and Jaques Cousteau's Calypso. The bridge is probably 30 feet above the water and you can't see the water up close to the hull. He was coming in through the Golden Gate one Sunday afternoon. The Bay was full of little sail boats zooming around in all directions. He was traveling slow, maby 6 knots. All of a sudden one of his guys on the deck started hollering to stop. It seems a 20 foot sail boat had tried to turn in front of him and his rigging was caught on one of the many bolts holding the big boat's wooden hull together. The sail boat was dragged for maby 10 min and the terrified owner was livid. It seems the guy was a lawyer and claimed he had the right of way.......he sued my buddy and eventually lost in court mostly for being stupid.

My sister's husbands boats and me lol the star west and the BARBRA JOE MVIMG_20180117_163556.jpg MVIMG_20180117_163641.jpg MVIMG_20180117_163721.jpg

We would never go to sea in an unanchorable area overnight without enough people on board to provide a 24 hr watch. Even at that, I had a crewman that was working on a fishing boat that anchored in a cove at the Chanel islands that woke up on the beach, the boat had drug anchor and broken up in the surf. People used to give me a bad time about using a 1500 lb anchor on my 60 foot salvage boats (I used 2, 3000 pounders on my 120 footers) but we slept well.

We would never go to sea in an unanchorable area overnight without enough people on board to provide a 24 hr watch. Even at that, I had a crewman that was working on a fishing boat that anchored in a cove at the Chanel islands that woke up on the beach, the boat had drug anchor and broken up in the surf. People used to give me a bad time about using a 1500 lb anchor on my 60 foot salvage boats (I used 2, 3000 pounders on my 120 footers) but we slept well.
I used to go out to the channel islands on my dad's sail boat all the time and stay the weekends out there ancored in coves

I was his grounds keeper lol I took care of the property's he owns lol me and his son are still friends his son is a doctor now also and is a huge gun guy he's the one that told me about front site

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews