JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just finished phone calls to all Republican and Independant Senators and all Republican members of the Joint Ways and Means Committee on Public Safety. SB348 will soon be assigned to that committee.

Remind them that, as written, and with the Emergency Clause, anyone that purchased standard capacity magazines since December 8th last year and with the TRO from the Harney County Circuit Court will instantly become criminals as soon as the bill is signed. Any merchant selling those magazines during that period will also be subject to prosecution. Urge them to remove the emergency clause from 348 and make the 3 day hold and magazine ban effective the same day as the permit system which is 1 July 2024.

Republican Senators
Joint Ways and Means Committee on Public Safety
.....so the PTP goes into effect in 2024? Yesterday someone here told me in goes into effect as soon as the buzzcut signs it.

Last Edited:
I have emailed both my representatives (house and senate) my concerns. However, since both are on the blue side, i expect nothing back.
Ālea iacta est

I have emailed both my representatives (house and senate) my concerns. However, since both are on the blue side, i expect nothing back.
Ālea iacta est
You can still write all of the Republicans, especially those on the Public Safety subcommittee. Links are above.

Dems probably won't care. Their chacks from LEVO, MDA, Giffords, and Bloomberg have been cashed and spent. If they turn back now, they won't be getting any future party money.

Just finished phone calls to all Republican and Independant Senators and all Republican members of the Joint Ways and Means Committee on Public Safety. SB348 will soon be assigned to that committee.

Remind them that, as written, and with the Emergency Clause, anyone that purchased standard capacity magazines since December 8th last year and with the TRO from the Harney County Circuit Court will instantly become criminals as soon as the bill is signed. Any merchant selling those magazines during that period will also be subject to prosecution. Urge them to remove the emergency clause from 348 and make the 3 day hold and magazine ban effective the same day as the permit system which is 1 July 2024.

Republican Senators
Joint Ways and Means Committee on Public Safety
I just sent emails to everyone on ways and means committee. It took all of 10 minutes to do. There's NO excuse not to take a few minutes to write a thoughtful email and copy paste to each person on that committee in separate emails. It's important!

Last Edited:
Thought I'd share one of the responses I got back… I dont know if these people truly understand what they're doing..or maybe they do. Strange either way. This is from Kenzie Heller (she/her) legislative assistant. I was specifically inquiring about the post facto criminalization of folks that purchased mags after December. She literally didn't even acknowledge it. Wtf is going on here?

Thank you for reaching out to Representative Nguyen about SB 348. Just to clarify this bill would just be conducting a study on the purchase of illegal firearms. It is HB 2005-B that has the emergency clause. With that said I will make sure that he hears your concerns and that he sees this email. I hope you have a wonderful day.

My response :
Attached is SB 348. I am speaking of the correct bill. Unless something has changed that I am unaware of it is no longer a bill that merely studies illegal firearms. This bill is basically an expanded measure 114. I'd also like to note the part about only being challenged in Marion county is worrisome and I am not sure how that's even legal or constitutional. I really do appreciate your response. Have a nice week!

Followed by her response again…:

I apologize, you are correct. My site was not updating and I rebooted and it showed up. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. In terms of legality, I think the reason for this bill was because Measure 114 got tied up in the courts and this body wanted to have a bill in place for that since the voters passed it. With that said, from my reading of the bill amendment dash 1 (the one you sent) Section 6 "Transfers would not make store owners or; 'gun dealers' in terms of the wording of the bill be liable for any criminal prosecution as long as they follow the steps outlined on page 14- or copied below: the following information to the department: "(A) The federal firearms license number of the gun dealer; "(B) The business name of the gun dealer; "(C) The place of transfer; "(D) The name of the person making the transfer; "(E) The make, model, caliber and manufacturer's number of the firearm being transferred; "(F) The name and date of birth of the purchaser; "(G) The Social Security number of the purchaser if the purchaser voluntarily provides this number to the gun dealer; and "(H) The type, issuer, and identification number of the identification presented by the purchaser.I know gun rights, and the ability to access firearms is a contentious topic and I know that you may not agree with the bill but from the legality side of things, it seems perfectly legal. It is just requiring a more well-rounded check on individuals wanting to purchase firearms. Which law-abiding citizens will not have anything to worry about. I hope this email helps to ease concerns, I know it may not but I do hope this information is helpful.

She sounds like a anti-gun stooge from the way it reads and with the excuse she gave for not "seeing the correct info" I've heard that excuse before and it only works on people who don't understand how computers work.

At least you got a response. I emailed my district senator, All the folks on ways and means, and every republican senator. No response yet. Maybe i shouldn't have addressed the letter as 'Dear Bonehead'? :)

I think there is only one thing the Republicans can is walk out denying the Democrats the quorum needed to pass this, but they won't because they are afraid of Oregon Measure 113, the 'Exclusion from Re-election for Legislative Absenteeism Initiative' that was passed.
Yep hosed.

The retroactive mag ban and immediate criminalization of merchants and buyers is a pretty bitter pill to swallow. Throw in the immediate 3 day delay and completely bypassing the judicial system makes it pretty noxious. It's not just the punishment of law abiding citizens, it's how they are publicly spitting in our faces.

The retroactive mag ban and immediate criminalization of merchants and buyers is a pretty bitter pill to swallow. Throw in the immediate 3 day delay and completely bypassing the judicial system makes it pretty noxious. It's not just the punishment of law abiding citizens, it's how they are publicly spitting in our faces.
Yes, this is the point. From their perspective we are criminals already just they haven't been able to get the courts and police to do anything about it yet.

I think there is only one thing the Republicans can is walk out denying the Democrats the quorum needed to pass this, but they won't because they are afraid of Oregon Measure 113, the 'Exclusion from Re-election for Legislative Absenteeism Initiative' that was passed.
See https://www.northwestobserver.com/index.php?ArticleId=2709

On the Senate floor, Senate Knopp said, "Yesterday, a chair you appointed to a Senate committee you created reported Senate Bill 393-A out of committee. It was introduced as a benign study bill. Neither the base bill, nor the [gun control] gut and stuff amendments ever received a public hearing. OLIS shows zero items of posted testimony. SB 393-A is now headed to the Senate floor having received zero public input on a bill that affects a Constitutional right. This is offensive to the character and tradition of democracy and diminishes the legitimacy of the Senate...Don't let democracy die under your watch."
Make the Rs explain why they want to be a part of a Senate or House with 'diminished legitimacy'. Or explain why they allow it to happen.

See https://www.northwestobserver.com/index.php?ArticleId=2709

Make the Rs explain why they want to be a part of a Senate or House with 'diminished legitimacy'. Or explain why they allow it to happen.
We already know the answer: The D's do whatever they want to "look busy" against crime. It is political suicide to focus on criminals and drug addicts and so easy to blame guns. They have media support for any lie they tell. Last session the R minority used the only tool they had left: denying the D's a quorum. Suddenly that ballot measure with impassioned editorials about Republican lawmakers refusing to do the work they are paid to do. It's all rhetoric and it is successful because they control the news.
The R's there now know that the only power they have is a delay action at the cost of their jobs. The D's will request scathing editorials about deadbeat R's and the editors will comply. The R reps may be replaced at the next election with more R's or they might be re-elected. Either way they will be heroes to us, but that may not be enough to restore their positions.

Last Edited:
I believe it is their intent. It is political retaliation and punishment toward the red parts of the state. They have developed an enemies list of delporables and are following dangerous precedence set by California and Washington.
The jackboots are starting to march, whether we comply or not. The real question is, how long will it be before those boots start kicking in doors, too? Time will tell.
Unfortunately, I think this is part of their plan as well. They want to force people so far into a corner that the only reaction left is violence, which tyrants will use to justify more tyranny.

We've been flirting with the edge of the cliff...We are dangerously close to repeating history, because we sure didn't learn from it.

I believe it is their intent. It is political retaliation and punishment toward the red parts of the state. They have developed an enemies list of delporables and are following dangerous precedence set by California and Washington.
The jackboots are starting to march, whether we comply or not. The real question is, how long will it be before those boots start kicking in doors, too? Time will tell.
Unfortunately, I think this is part of their plan as well. They want to force people so far into a corner that the only reaction left is violence, which tyrants will use to justify more tyranny.

We've been flirting with the edge of the cliff...We are dangerously close to repeating history, because we sure didn't learn from it.
How many doors have they kicked in with SB941? The answer is none.... It's business as usual.

I've said this before, but I don't think it will start with anybody kicking in doors - at least not on a regular basis (there may be isolated incidents).

But hauling guns in your car and getting stopped by LEOs in unfriendly counties or the OSP, and then being searched because you are on a list? That could happen.

But hauling guns in your car and getting stopped by LEOs in unfriendly counties or the OSP, and then being searched because you are on a list? That could happen.
That's how it works now. Bust you for doing something wrong in your car, and voila, tack on some gun charges.

They might make an example of a few people, just to send a message. There was something similar back when people were pirating music from the internet. Only a handful of people were ever prosecuted, but they threw the book at them.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top