Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

S&W 586 VS. Ruger GP-100

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by oremike, Aug 5, 2014.

1. oremike

oremike Creswell, Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm wanting a target revolver in .357, 6" barrel, blue steel, full lug. So far I'm leaning towards the Smith but was wondering what others think and if I might be missing something else.

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

How will you shoot this "target" revolver? If it's DA, the Smith has a slightly better trigger and if it's SA, they are both the same. They are both equally accurate. The Ruger will last longer (won't need re-timing as early/often), especially if only shot DA fast and or with stout loads.
    They are both really good guns.

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've only owned the gp100. It's a 6" stainless and I love it, will never part with it.

The s&w may be great too, but I have no experience with it.

4. Certaindeaf

I've shot those L frames, stainless and blue, 6" PPC factory target specials and regular and 4" duty rigs about 200,000 shots downrange (all factory loads).. they are really good guns but I had an armorer that took care of it.. that was his job.. and they "needed work" occasionally. Great guns.
    I have a 4" stainless GP and I'm trying to wear it out (yea, good luck).. DA of course. I love it.

5. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

The Ruger and the SW are equal in terms if accuracy and durability, as stated: the Smith has a smoother trigger and in my opine better sights also.

6. Certaindeaf

Who stated that?.. I said that the Smith is less durable and have read all (wow!) the posts.

7. techiej

techiej vancouver, wa Active Member

have and love the Ruger...tough to go wrong with it.

8. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

The 586 is worth more and will appreciate more (at least the pre-lock, square-latch models).

9. Certaindeaf

And wear out faster. Hey, get a Python! wore out a couple a those.. lol

10. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

All comes down to preference, even when a Ruger fanboy shoots down everyone's replies. Personally, I love the no-lock Smiths. Great little guns. Attractive, nice triggers, and they shoot well.

Never could personally warm up to any Ruger, other than a .22lr,,,o_O

mjbskwim likes this.
  11. 156256Hunter

156256Hunter Fairview-ish Active Member

Aside from Ruger being more durable and the Smith having a crisper trigger (and therefore will perhaps be more accurate), ergonomically speaking I like the shape of the Smith trigger better: narrower and grooved, whereas the Ruger's is flatter and smooth.

Ideally, you'd want to shoot both before buying in order to determine which one your trigger finger likes better.

12. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'd buy the ruger and spend the money I saved to pay a good gunsmith to shape and polish the trigger and adjust the pull to how I would want it.

13. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

That's a good idea if the Ruger wasn't a little less than the S&W. Not like the old days when a Ruger was a couple hundred less

14. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a GP-100 6" Blue. You will have to look for a used S&W to get "Pre-Lock", I have a Lock on my 629 which is .44 Mag and half lug so I can't compare, but if I had to choose between the two that I own, it would be the Ruger getting the nod even though I wanted that .44. If only one favorite from new manufacturing It would be the GP-100

15. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Are we talking about their L-frame 686/586 of K-frame 66/19? I've never heard of a 686 wearing out until this thread.

Marine Airedale and K-22 like this.
  16. Certaindeaf

Indeed it does.
    And "shoot down"? Hey, I said what I said and another said I said what I didn't say. That's not shooting down in my book, just so you know, fanboi.
    good talk

17. Certaindeaf

A 6/586 is an L frame.

orygun likes this.
  18. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I think that is what he said, now what did you say you said after you said what you said?

19. Certaindeaf

Oof. Whatever you do, talking about trigger profiles, if you shoot DA and get a S&W, don't get or have the wide and grooved.. nevermind

20. Certaindeaf

Say again.