JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was in the market for a 6" .357 I was considering the 686 and the GP100. I went to the gun show and tried the trigger on both. For me the trigger on the GP100 was much smoother so that's what I bought.

I have shot both. I have the 686 ann have the 586. Both are good guns. But s&w are the better. I was set on the gp100 until I got a 586 in my hands. Then the 688. I am looking at anoter one right now.

Either will serve you well for your intended purpose. I own both brands, and enjoy both brands, but it really comes down to you as the end-user to give both revolver options the thorough shakedown while at the gun counter to see which you prefer. Pay close attention to fit and finish as both companies have had (to some extent) QC concerns lately.
Get a good one of your choosing and don't look back. Good luck!

To get back to this, I've had a couple GP-100's as well as other Rugers that were sloppily put together but I have a #1 rifle and a blackhawk bisley that are excellent, well made weapons. I can't find a new 586 or 686 to check out but did find a blue 6"gp-100. It's cylinder fit and trigger were horrible. On the flipside I did find a 6" stainless GP 100 with very good cylinder lock up and a reasonable trigger. I might go with that but I really want a blued gun, I think the high carbon ordinance steel wears in better with less galling than stainless. <shrug> My money, my way.

I was looking at the exact same options over the last year or so.

I didn't like the the lock on the smith.

I didn't like the extra money for the smith.

I didn't like the grip on the current rugers.

I didn't try many smith triggers.

I couldn't tell much difference (if any between the smith and ruger triggers, perhaps a little lighter on the smith)

I tried plenty of ruger triggers, honestly, they all felt pretty smooth.

I bought (new) the GP100 6 inch in stainless. I love it.

I'll probably buy the Wolff spring kit for it, $10 well spent in my opinion, along with some of the older style grips (wood insert) or some Wiley clapp grips if i find some for sale.

Time for pulling it apart and giving it a nice clean up.

Well, I guess my search is over, just put money down on a blue 4" GP-100. Cylinder lock up is excellent, trigger is ok, might see what polishing will do for that before changing springs.

I just ordered the AZooms for mine, gonna sit and click for a while, then attempt my first home polishing job i think :)

I just ordered the AZooms for mine, gonna sit and click for a while, then attempt my first home polishing job i think :)

Might want to pay someone (not me*) to do the polishing, done wrong and it could cause a dangerous weapon scenario.

*I was a depot level Small Arms Repairman for the ORNG

Ohhh, i understand, i'm just doing cleanup work that factory will have missed, there is no way in heck that i understand enough about it to do anything serious :(

I went through the same dilemma years back. Went to the gun show and handled both. Many times. The Ruger felt better in my grip so I bought it. Both are great firearms, buy the one that feels best in YOUR hand. That said, if I was to buy another, I would be looking long and hard at the new Ruger GP100 Match Champion. Damn, now you got me thinking about that one again. It sure is sweet.

I just wanted to add, been looking at a few vids i found on home smoothing the trigger stuff in the GP100, looks very easy for me (i'll add links at the end) but before i pull mine apart, i've been playing with the snap-caps and decided that it actually really does feel very smooth, even after just about 100 rounds through it, it's just a heavy DA pull.

So Wolff springs ordered, and i'll pull it all apart very soon and touch up anything obvious, love the gun, really do.

I have owned both smiths and rugers. I like the smiths more. The smiths have a true handle frame vs the rugers little nub that gets covered by whatever grip you put on. The triggers are nicer on smiths and I have always shot them more accurately. Plus S&Ws look so much better ;)

In reality they are both very similar and great guns. You can't go wrong either way. Scour the classifieds and grab one up that is posted for a good deal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top