JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How will you shoot this "target" revolver? If it's DA, the Smith has a slightly better trigger and if it's SA, they are both the same. They are both equally accurate. The Ruger will last longer (won't need re-timing as early/often), especially if only shot DA fast and or with stout loads.
They are both really good guns.

I've shot those L frames, stainless and blue, 6" PPC factory target specials and regular and 4" duty rigs about 200,000 shots downrange (all factory loads).. they are really good guns but I had an armorer that took care of it.. that was his job.. and they "needed work" occasionally. Great guns.
I have a 4" stainless GP and I'm trying to wear it out (yea, good luck).. DA of course. I love it.

The Ruger and the SW are equal in terms if accuracy and durability, as stated: the Smith has a smoother trigger and in my opine better sights also.

All comes down to preference, even when a Ruger fanboy shoots down everyone's replies. Personally, I love the no-lock Smiths. Great little guns. Attractive, nice triggers, and they shoot well.

Never could personally warm up to any Ruger, other than a .22lr,,,o_O

Aside from Ruger being more durable and the Smith having a crisper trigger (and therefore will perhaps be more accurate), ergonomically speaking I like the shape of the Smith trigger better: narrower and grooved, whereas the Ruger's is flatter and smooth.

Ideally, you'd want to shoot both before buying in order to determine which one your trigger finger likes better.

I have a GP-100 6" Blue. You will have to look for a used S&W to get "Pre-Lock", I have a Lock on my 629 which is .44 Mag and half lug so I can't compare, but if I had to choose between the two that I own, it would be the Ruger getting the nod even though I wanted that .44. If only one favorite from new manufacturing It would be the GP-100

I'd buy the ruger and spend the money I saved to pay a good gunsmith to shape and polish the trigger and adjust the pull to how I would want it.
Oof. Whatever you do, talking about trigger profiles, if you shoot DA and get a S&W, don't get or have the wide and grooved.. nevermind

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top