JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How will you shoot this "target" revolver? If it's DA, the Smith has a slightly better trigger and if it's SA, they are both the same. They are both equally accurate. The Ruger will last longer (won't need re-timing as early/often), especially if only shot DA fast and or with stout loads.
They are both really good guns.

I've shot those L frames, stainless and blue, 6" PPC factory target specials and regular and 4" duty rigs about 200,000 shots downrange (all factory loads).. they are really good guns but I had an armorer that took care of it.. that was his job.. and they "needed work" occasionally. Great guns.
I have a 4" stainless GP and I'm trying to wear it out (yea, good luck).. DA of course. I love it.

The Ruger and the SW are equal in terms if accuracy and durability, as stated: the Smith has a smoother trigger and in my opine better sights also.

All comes down to preference, even when a Ruger fanboy shoots down everyone's replies. Personally, I love the no-lock Smiths. Great little guns. Attractive, nice triggers, and they shoot well.

Never could personally warm up to any Ruger, other than a .22lr,,,o_O

Aside from Ruger being more durable and the Smith having a crisper trigger (and therefore will perhaps be more accurate), ergonomically speaking I like the shape of the Smith trigger better: narrower and grooved, whereas the Ruger's is flatter and smooth.

Ideally, you'd want to shoot both before buying in order to determine which one your trigger finger likes better.

I have a GP-100 6" Blue. You will have to look for a used S&W to get "Pre-Lock", I have a Lock on my 629 which is .44 Mag and half lug so I can't compare, but if I had to choose between the two that I own, it would be the Ruger getting the nod even though I wanted that .44. If only one favorite from new manufacturing It would be the GP-100

I'd buy the ruger and spend the money I saved to pay a good gunsmith to shape and polish the trigger and adjust the pull to how I would want it.
Oof. Whatever you do, talking about trigger profiles, if you shoot DA and get a S&W, don't get or have the wide and grooved.. nevermind

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top