JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have S&W 686-1 for almost 27 years now. There was a recall on the L-Frame so I took to a gun to a gun range where the S&W armorer was and he put a new hammer nose on my revolver. The armorer stamped a "M" on it to show it was repaired. I don't remember the date of the repair but it was probably 1988 or 1989 and bought the gun in 1987.

I've fired thousands of rounds with no malfunctions.

My favorite .357 is my 66 4" no dash. It has a great trigger, is accurate, and feels right. My 6" 686 feels nice too even though it has the lock and MIM parts. Sometimes I wish I hadn't given my 6" security six to my brother 20 years ago but when I shoot it I always am glad to go back to the Smiths. They have better triggers and have better balance and feel in the hand.

I thought I'd update my GP-100 ownership experience now that I've owned and shot it for a couple weeks now. First out of the box thing I noticed is the finish is not as polished as a Smith, but that's ok I bought it to shoot. Next thing I noticed is it fits my XXL hands very well, others change the grips out but I don't see the need to. The springs do take some getting used to but having big strong hands seem to be ok to me, I'd rather have a trigger I can feel over one that is so light I have to be very careful of.
Out on the range I have a pet target load that shoots good in any .357 I've shot it in. The GP-100 is no exception at 10 paces I can put 6 shots in a group the size of a Quarter. When I switch over to the full house 158 gr XTP loads the group size opens up to about 2". The noise of the Magnum loads is quite a bit more than the target loads but the recoil is virtually the same.
My original intent was to have this gun to take out to the range once in a while but now think with some 180 XTP load development I might use it as an open carry woods gun.
Bottom line this Ruger is a keeper and shoots very well.

This post is from a "Ruger fan". (I'm no boy)
A couple of years back I was in the market for a 4" .357 DA revolver. More than once I had a Smith 686 in one hand and a GP100 in the other. Brand new there wasn't much difference in price. Just looking, the Ruger seemed to hold up to the "built like a tank" reputation Ruger has earned. The Smith seemed a little lighter (not much) and slightly, very slightly, a better finish.
The thing that really turned it towards the Smith for me was, the 686+ holds 7 rounds.
I ended up buying a used, pre-lock 686+.

Wish I'd not sold it.

I would have no qualms about owning another Ruger, either. Every one I've owned has treated me very well.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying yours, OreMike.

Tuned up I really like them both. Just don't let any friends "Hollywood" one for you. Don't feed the S&W any hot ammo and it will last a long time. The Ruger is about immune to hot loads and will last forever anyway. I'm waiting on Davidsons to get a batch of 5" GP100's again. That will be my next revolver for sure.

I'll just leave this here....

GP100-1.jpg

Thought I would post a few photos I scrounged off the internet of some of the other options available for anyone considering a GP100, but prefers a different factory finish, caliber, or perhaps not a fan of full under lugged (shroud) barrels. I also included a GP100 buyers guide courtesy of a Ruger forum member in case you want to track down a particular model. They didn't make every combo possible, so just google what you might be interested in and see if it exists.

Catalog codes are as follows: (for example: a Ruger KGP-161 is stainless, adjustable sights, 6", .357, full lug )

GP= GP100 blued with adjustable sights
KGP= GP100 Stainless steel with adjustable sights
GPF=GP100 blued with fixed sights
KGPF=GP100 Stainless steel with fixed sights
GKGP=High polish stainless GP100 with adjustable sights.
-131=full shroud 357 Mag, 3" barrel
-141=full shroud 357 Mag, 4" barrel
-150=partial shroud 357 Mag, 5" barrel
-151=full shroud 357 Mag, 5" barrel
-160=partial shroud 357 Mag, 6" barrel
-161=full shroud 357 Mag, 6" barrel
-330=partial shroud 357 Mag,3" barrel
-331=full shroud 357 Mag, 3" barrel
-340=partial shroud 357 Mag, 4" barrel
-830=partial shroud 38 Special, 3" barrel
-831=full shroud 38 Special, 3" barrel
-840=partial shroud 38 Special, 4" barrel
-841=full shroud 38 Special, 4" barrel
GKGP-141.jpg
GP-160.jpg
GPF-340.jpg
KGP-340.jpg
KGPF-330.jpg

GKGP-141.jpg

GP-160.jpg

GPF-340.jpg

KGP-340.jpg

KGPF-330.jpg

When I was in the market for a 6" .357 I was considering the 686 and the GP100. I went to the gun show and tried the trigger on both. For me the trigger on the GP100 was much smoother so that's what I bought.
I did the same thing, Pepsi challenge, held them both side by side and swapped hands a couple of times just to be sure. The Smith was marginally better in DA and SA so it went home with me. If I would have made the other choice, I would have been happy with it too. Different strokes....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top