JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at Ramstein in Germany in 1971 when the SA 11 were deployed into East Germany
my friends in electronic counter measures told me about their evaluation of this system over beers
scared the USAF to death at the time

but this is 2022 - a Russian SU 35s Flanker E SAM suppression aircraft was shot down by a '70 era SAM system used by Ukraine

the SU 35S is equipped with detection and jamming systems to handle any modern MANPAD or SAM system

but somehow, it was not equipped to counter a Vietnam era SA 11?

Quite a feat when you can kill the radar hunter.
when the first USAF countermeasure officer was told what the goal of the Wild Weasels was in Vietnam, his comment became the unit patch:

" YOU GOT TO BE SH---ING ME"

when the first USAF countermeasure officer was told what the goal of the Wild Weasels was in Vietnam, his comment became the unit patch:

" YOU GOT TO BE SH---ING ME"

Those guys had brass ones.

Last Edited:
I was a kid watching some of those BUFF's fly out of Westover AFB
we lived in Riverside, Ca from '65 to '68

my father's unit was assigned to March but was deployed to Vietnam

my mother was one of the wives who went to the homes when a B-52 went down

the Blue Sedans - they were called - when a wife saw a Blue sedan with my mother in it - they knew news was not good

my father's squadron lost 40% of their crews in '68 due to SA 2 SAMs

Not surprising considering a lot of modern tech is aimed at stopping other modern tech, that's also assuming the Russian tech didn't experience a malfunction, which from my reading indicates it can happen often.

Reminds me of the naval war games where a US Navy (rank?) beat the crap out of big navy while pretending to be Iran because he didn't fight big navy in a conventional big navy type fight, he used a bunch of simple small attack craft like suicide bombs to take out the carriers (the whole backbone of US navy attack structure).

The enemy doesn't have to fight you the way you plan them too.

Is that perhaps insight into how well the Russian crews are trained? Or not trained?

-E-
Could have been that the Russian jamming tech was optimized for current SAM threats and the old school SAMs were able to slip through.
Or just a lucky shot like the one on the F-117 by the Serbians.

It has been publicized that the Russian air crews don't get near the flight time that ours do.
So, no telling what it was other than a good kill for the Ukes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top