JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not a big fan of Ruger handguns. Most of them seem to be bulky and even uglier than Glocks if that is possible, but since this one is in a 1911 style I may consider it even though I already have a 10mm. The round is great. It feels like it produces more power than a 45ACP if you can judge by felt recoil, and it is easy to reload. It uses the same 180 grain bullets as a short & weak, but a lot more umph.

I was interested until I saw the price! Still it's "last forever" stainless. I remember from back when people were breaking 1911 chambered for the Big Ten. Colts they were, maybe. Been awhile. The Glock 10 has my interest and I keep my eyes open for a Witless 10 also.

I thought $729 delivered to a dealer is very reasonable.

Been wanting a 10mm for a while now... and after watching the Fire Mountain outdoors guy review it and the cool upgrades you can get Im really leaning towards an EAA Witness.

I haven't told my local shop of my desire for fear they will get one and tempt me with their easy layaway program. They know me too well...
:s0087:"only 10% down & 3 months to pay... you know you want it!"
:s0047:"But you have 2 teanagers that need school clothes"
:s0120:"Leave me out of this FOOL!"

Well, this discussion has definitely piqued my interest. I've been daydreaming about the ten for far too long. A good many years ago, I came very close to buying a slightly custom G20 with 6" barrel and camo finish, but... other priorities. :( I briefly owned a Delta Elite, but so briefly I never shot it.

Some years ago, Washington State required 500 ft. lbs. at 100 yards for a hunting handgun. I realized with 200 grain bullets of decent ballistic coefficient, bold loadings, and a 6 inch barrel, the 10mm should be able to do that. With the right loads, it is almost an autoloading .41 magnum. I've owned a Wildey (huge gun, unnecessarily oversized grip), borrowed and shot a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle (huge gun, unneccesarily oversized grip), daydreamed about but never tried the LAR Grizzly. I'm a 1911 fan, that being my most popular carry gun for the last 40 years (though I went from stainless 5" to alloy framed 4" Kimber for convenience a number of years ago), and I see an advantage to something that is a viable hunting gun, but still fits the same holster and carries & operates the same as one's primary defensive sidearm.

I followed Col Cooper's efforts to improve on the .45 ACP, the creation of the .40 G&A wildcat in a Browning High Power; I saw the 10mm come on the scene and be picked by the FBI, who had trouble shooting it and cracking frames on guns. But let's face it, the ten kicked more, and as a cop gun it died the same death as the .41 Mag police revolver when cops wrongly used the full power hunting loads and couldn't shoot them well. So we saw the development of the .40 Short & Weak, an effort to put big bullet stopping power into a 9mm sized package. It has never interestedu me, being merely a compromise that is very intolerant of variations in overall length and has an early pressure peak - not a handloader's friend. (Full disclosure: I do own a .40 with pretty much the ballistics of today's .40 pistols, but mine is a century old 38-40 Winchester.) However, the 10mm as an autoloading .41 Mag has appeal.

Like my Freedom Arms, which puts a 5 shot .454 Casull into the same sized package as a standard 6 shot .45 LC single action, the 10mm 1911 puts a useful hunting cartridge into a reasonably sized and convenient package. I have hunted with a 4" .44 Mountain Gun, but never carried it as a PDW.

Thinking about the 1911 in general, I wonder if handloading the 10mm will batter the gun. Perhaps the new owner's first call should be to Wolff Springs. I do wish it was all in a standard 1911 package, instead of having a guide rod and bushingless barrel like my Kimber. The original is more convenient to field strip. But we can live with the guide rod if necessary.

I'll stay tuned to learn the results of any others who buy this SR1911. It has definitely made my wish list. Adding a new cartridge to the collection, with attendant loading dies, molds, bullet size dies, and stocks of brass and jacketed bullets, is a significant step. But I have to admit it has appeal. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Have you actually seen them in stock anywhere? I'd love to get my hands on that P16-40 with a conversion barrel. Doesn't have to be a new gun, my 14.45 was used and is still a great pistol.
As mentioned, Para P16s (in 40 S&W) are available used Gunbroker/etc but the Barsto Conversion barrel would have to be special ordered. I bought mine yrs ago.
Bar-Sto Precision Machine (40 barrels only - ask cust. svc about special orders)

It sure is but.......... it's a Glock...... just sayin.... :eek::eek::eek::D
So the glock doesn't fit in your small hands?
That the guy's who generally don't like the glock,the ones with smaller hands. That's cool though gotta shoot what you wife's...I mean yo can handle:rolleyes:

:D
G20 is a great gun. In fact only clocks I don't like is the sub compact ones
Ugly,yes but good shooting guns.

L to R. 1911,Sig220 10mm and Witness Match 10mm. The EAA is a double stack 15 rounder. Not that much fatter than the 1911.
IMG_0106_zpsy1skk83w.jpg

So the glock doesn't fit in your small hands?
That the guy's who generally don't like the glock,the ones with smaller hands. That's cool though gotta shoot what you wife's...I mean yo can handle:rolleyes:

:D
G20 is a great gun. In fact only clocks I don't like is the sub compact ones
Ugly,yes but good shooting guns.

Wawa wawa, just don't like them. My right...

Shot plenty of Glocks myself, don't find any reason to bash them but don't care for them and have never owned one. Plenty of guns to go around, not everyone NEEDS a Glock :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top