JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like a dirty shoot. Not sure how a citizen answering a door armed at any time warrants them being arrested, let alone at midnight. They can't conduct welfare checks during daylight hours?

From that article it sure seems like itchy trigger fingers and a California mentality of guns = bad put a man in his grave too soon.

Moral of the story is this... Unless there is a crime in progress or report a crime that took place earlier... DO NOT CALL POLICE
I agree with this however it seems most people have been conditioned with the Mindset when they see or think something is 'wrong' - to call the police - even though it may not necessarily be for a crime.
I don't think LEOs are regarded as highly as 'public servents' as they used to be but are still the first called when someone needs help - crime or otherwise.

Did nobody catch this?

Craig Johnson, 50, was shot to death outside his Coolin cabin after allegedly pointing gun at deputies on Sept. 26, 2017. Deputies were attempting to serve an arrest warrant on Johnson after he had pointed a gun at a deputy during a welfare check that was conduct a day earlier.

That's twice doing something that will usually get you killed once. He got a freebie IMO.

...allegedly...
None of us were there. He said, she said. Hopefully the county releases some actual info soon.

Slimer, I'm not disagreeing with you. Just saying we weren't there so until they release some actual evidence, there's bound to be a lot of speculation. It's possible that the guy answered the door with a gun in his hand and simply didn't want to put it down at midnight, alone in the woods. It's also entirely possible that he was a lunatic meth-head who was pointing the gun directly in the deputy's face and verbally threatening to kill him. Could have been a million things in between. Sticky point is, when one party is dead, the other gets to tell the story. I realize these are your buddies and you really want to believe them. But I've been on the receiving end of a lying cop who was only concerned about covering his own bubblegum so I know for a fact that it happens.
I actually want this to turn out to be a clean kill. The thought that my cops can't be trusted really concerns me.

And if you have a question if it's a real cop call 911 and find out.

Got an emergency alert on my phone late yesterday saying that 911 service in not available in certain areas of Washington State and gave my alternate contact numbers.

SMS message I got:

[[911 Outage]] Due to a nationwide CenturyLink outage, 911 services are currently down. If in emergency, call the dispatch center at 206-296-3311 or text

I'm leaning towards not. If a shoot/arrest was justifiable, wouldn't an attempt have been made on the same night??
"...he had pointed a gun at a deputy during a welfare check that was conduct a day earlier."
A DAY earlier!
They were not in a hurry to "protect the society" from "dangerous armed predator".

Here's another version of what happened.................
Idaho widow sues sheriff's office over her husband's fatal shooting

IS said:
Robin Andrews asked the sheriff's office on Sept. 24, 2017, to conduct a welfare check on her husband, Craig A. Johnson, according to the lawsuit filed Monday. She said she was concerned because Johnson was not returning her phone calls.
IS said:
When the deputy exited the vehicle, Johnson came out of the cabin waiving a pistol "and yelled for the deputy to get off his property," according to the lawsuit. When the deputy told Johnson to drop his weapon, Johnson "turned around and walked into the house."
IS said:
Deputies returned to Johnson's cabin the morning of Sept. 26, 2017, to serve the warrant.

"During negotiations with Mr. Johnson via telephone and a police vehicle public address system, Craig Johnson exited his residence with a loaded handgun and confronted deputies by pointing a handgun at them, forcing them to respond with deadly force," ISP reported.
IS said:
Johnson "was shot at least once in the back contradicting the released information that the officers had no choice but to shoot," Andrews states in her lawsuit.

We now have 2 different stories and just have to determine where the truth lies.

Ray

Heavily armed, excessively trained deputies who wore body armor, came NEXT day and shot old dude in a back from a safe position?
That's what we call bravery!
IMHO, pissed-off deputies were just looking for a reason to murder that man.

Sounds like you're quite the expert in the logistics and planning of the execution of a search warrant on an armed suspect in a rural area by a small dept. Thanks for weighing in.

Sounds like you're quite the expert in the logistics and planning of the execution of a search warrant on an armed suspect in a rural area by a small dept. Thanks for weighing in.
Not an "expert", but... I've eight years of LE (Russian) background, before I immigrated to the USA - three years in Patrol and then in Narcotics, in 1990's when Russian streets were no different from Los Cabos. This is not to mention four trips to combat zone in Chechnya as a member of counter-terrorism unit.
So, you are welcome.

Here's another version of what happened.................
Idaho widow sues sheriff's office over her husband's fatal shooting

We now have 2 different stories and just have to determine where the truth lies.

Ray

If that's how it happened, it sounds like a good shoot to me. Typical situation, typical response. You get aggressive with LEOs, your gonna get hurt or dead. Comply, and you will usually be safe, barring unfortunate incidents. IMO, the hysteria over shots to the back is ridiculous... snipers may shoot from any angle to protect the LEOs they are responsible for. Run out of the house yelling and waving a gun about when there is a large number of deputies present, you're gonna get dead. I don't have a problem with that.

If that's how it happened, it sounds like a good shoot to me. Typical situation, typical response. You get aggressive with LEOs, your gonna get hurt or dead. Comply, and you will usually be safe, barring unfortunate incidents. IMO, the hysteria over shots to the back is ridiculous... snipers may shoot from any angle to protect the LEOs they are responsible for. Run out of the house yelling and waving a gun about when there is a large number of deputies present, you're gonna get dead. I don't have a problem with that.
Why did they come back next day, when there was no immediate threat to anyone? Apparently man had a bad day but did not threaten anyone and he was on his own property. Did he tell that "God Almighty" deputy to GTFO his property? What's the problem? And that's why the whole army of trigger happy arrived another day - to create and escalate the crisis and to retaliate?

Why did they come back next day, when there was no immediate threat to anyone? Apparently man had a bad day but did not threaten anyone and he was on his own property. Did he tell a deputy to GTFO his property? What's the problem? And that's why the whole army of trigger happy arrived another day - to create and escalate the crisis and to retaliate?

Dude, you are causing disharmony in the Force!

Logic would answer your own questions... I'm not gonna play.

I've been to many SWAT callouts and GENERALLY, on a known armed suspect, they will attempt to call the person out of the building. A perimeter is cleared and once all exits are covered, loud announcements over the PA are made. "Joe Blow, this is the BFE PD! We have a warrant for your arrest! Come to the front door with your hands up!" They will repeat it a couple times and give him time to comply. Sometimes a few flashbangs will get tossed in the yard to make the suspect think twice.

If things happened like this, and he came out the back against the instructions, its at least one sign of him not wanting to cooperate.

Who knows what happened from there. If there was a perimeter set, officers would have been staged at various points where its pretty conceivable that someone would have an angle at his rear.

But, we dont know.

Why did they come back next day, when there was no immediate threat to anyone? Apparently man had a bad day but did not threaten anyone and he was on his own property. Did he tell that "God Almighty" deputy to GTFO his property? What's the problem? And that's why the whole army of trigger happy arrived another day - to create and escalate the crisis and to retaliate?

Welfare check becomes assault with a deadly weapon, turns into PC statement to get a warrant that has to be signed by a judge, safety planning and logistics have to be complete, thats how.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top