JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought a shotgun once. The guy shot it so much, the rifling was gone.

So if you all will allow / forgive a slight thread drift...
A one time there was a firearm known as a "Smooth Rifle".
This was a gun that had rifle features such as :
Front and rear sights...
A rifle style curved butt plate...
Rifle style trigger / triggers and trigger guard...
Yet was made smooth bore from the get go.

I have one , mine is a J.Henry Trade Rifle:
Flintlock...
.58 caliber smooth bore...
Maple stock...
Imported English lock...
Circa 1800-1820...

I still shoot and hunt with this rifle...it has won a few rifle matches and gotten deer and elk for me.
Again sorry for the thread drift...
Andy
DSC06814.jpg

The rifling looked fine except maybe 5-6 from the end looked like about a inch gap missing. Rifle had about a 12" moa!
May well have been some kind of factory slip up as Andy mentioned. Then got passed on to another owner. If it was factory first owner may not have known enough to look and see what was wrong. Probably could not figure out why it shot so bad them passed it on instead of sending it back. Damn shame now of course that you kind of got stuck with it.

All of my high round guns are well broken in and die hard reliable. They wouldn't be worth much to anyone else. My XD9 sub compact has a little north of 25k through it and I know it like the back of my hand. It's a dated pistol by today's standards but I can break her down and clean and reassemble in the dark if needed.

People usually lie, but they also don't sell the guns they shoot a lot.

Guns are like other things people buy. They buy, and sell, and buy and sell.

I don't mind buy high round count firearms.
If it been shot a ton and I can get a smoking deal I'm all over it.
New firing pin and springs and your GTG

Sometimes I get the bug for something, convince myself I can't live without it, and then tealize its no better than the stuff I already have. I don't like to talk about stuff I've never shot. Gives me more to BS about with the boys.

That's all code-speak for his women's high-heeled shoe collection.... because finding a women's sized 18 is near impossible. :p

One of my favorite pastimes is to follow the consignment gun auctions that Jack the Dog puts up for sale.
Here's one that caught my eye the other day. A true blue WW1 GI issued Colt 1911 bring back with kill notches grooved in the grips.
It shows a lot of honest wear and tear from it's years of service.
I'm sorely tempted to bid on it, but it's around $1,400.00 right now and with six days to go, it could triple by end of auction.

20190319074510-1073.jpg

20190319074512-2889.jpg

Round count on a .22 doesn't bother me much. Pretty darned hard to wear one out.
Had a Friend who finally shot enough to wear out the Whole T-C 10' Bull Barrel and the Frame. T-C Replaced Both at me Cost. He was good enough to Win Many Many Matches including Several Matches.

He used CCI Blazer Ammo Fired and Fired a Full Brick out of his Office Window He was a Great Shooter. He owned a Cedar Shake Mill over on the Olympic Peninsula and that is what paid for his Shooting. He is the one who Developed the idea of using a Rifle Scope with his Left holding it.

He Truly was an Awesome Shooter. He wasn't a Rifle Shooter and I don't think he ever Carried a Gun Concealed. :):):)

Here are few of mine with a High round count ...It would be hard to say just how many rounds have been shot through them...:D
A High Round count gun , doesn't bother me so much as does signs of abuse or neglect.
So I usually don't ask about round count when buying or trading...if asked of my guns I try to give as much of an honest answer , that I can give...
Andy
View attachment 562103

View attachment 562104

View attachment 562105

View attachment 562106

View attachment 562107

C'mon Andy... even if those were fired everyday all day (literally non-stop) at the maximum rate of fire through the French-Indian War, the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War, The Mexican War, The Mormon Wars, Indian Wars, and countless hunting trips (wait, lemme catch my breath).... the maximum total round count couldn't be what.... over 150..... tops?

:s0140:

;):D

Had a Friend who finally shot enough to wear out the Whole T-C 10' Bull Barrel and the Frame. T-C Replaced Both at me Cost. He was good enough to Win Many Many Matches including Several Matches.

He used CCI Blazer Ammo Fired and Fired a Full Brick out of his Office Window He was a Great Shooter. He owned a Cedar Shake Mill over on the Olympic Peninsula and that is what paid for his Shooting. He is the one who Developed the idea of using a Rifle Scope with his Left holding it.

He Truly was an Awesome Shooter. He wasn't a Rifle Shooter and I don't think he ever Carried a Gun Concealed. :):):)

My first rifle was a Montgomery Ward .22lr that I got for my 11th Birthday. I admit, I wore it out. Not the barrel, but the firing pin finally gave up the ghost. Thousands and thousands of rounds through it, back when a "kid" could buy box of .22 at the local Tru-Value along with a licorice stick and baseball cards. I'm in my 40's, it wasn't THAT long ago. :)

C'mon Andy... even if those were fired everyday all day (literally non-stop) at the maximum rate of fire through the French-Indian War, the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War, The Mexican War, The Mormon Wars, Indian Wars, and countless hunting trips (wait, lemme catch my breath).... the maximum total round count couldn't be what.... over 150..... tops?

:s0140:

;):D

Yeah , but its more who I got 'em from...
Daniel Boone..
David Crockett...
Kit Carson...
Yeah ,that's the ticket...:D
Andy

Look at the classified ads here. It's usually kids, wannabe snipers, etc, on a budget, and they can barely afford the gun let alone the ammo to shoot it. Then bills come up, or they want the next latest greatest gun from the magazines, so have to sell in order to buy. The others are inheritance guns or guns they tried to customize and ruined. I think that covers about 60-70% of the guns. I can't tell you how many I've bought that were never shot because they bought it, no ammo, and then have to sell a couple weeks later to make rent. Guns, cars, stereos, kayaks, etc, I nothin new or specific to guns.

The highest round count gun I sold here at NWFA was a Ruger P89. I bought it new and had just south of 12k through it. I was honest and upfront. Of course, I did send it to Ruger for a full tune up before listing it. It was all good.
if its anything like my p95 it'll still shoot for another...well forever.

ruger p series=the timex of pistols. takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!

aka TANKS!

Low round count? Probably because most people don't shoot that often.

Most here likely shoot a lot and we love the hobby/lifestyle so much we even join gun forums.

Low round count? Probably because most people don't shoot that often.

Most here likely shoot a lot and we love the hobby/lifestyle so much we even join gun forums.

I doubt most here shoot "a lot". Me thinks there are MANY that sight in around August and take a shot or two until next time. :)

Even some that have NEVER shot, but like to post a LOT.

I doubt most here shoot "a lot". Me thinks there are MANY that sight in around August and take a shot or two until next time. :)

Even some that have NEVER shot, but like to post a LOT.
I should have clarified...Many here are expert "Computer Armchair Bullshooters" I have my Sniper badge in that category.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top