JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do you really have rifles traced back to those fine historic gentlemen? I'd really like to hear more about them, probably in a separate thread. Nonetheless, I'd love to hear about them!!!
To be clear here...
Any picture I have posted of a muzzleloader has been mine and chances are good that its an antique from the 19th century or 18th century.
Any of the ones pictured in this thread are indeed antique.

With that said...
Are they from the time period of
Daniel Boone...
David Crockett...
Kit Carson...
Yes the are.

Were any of mine actually owned by those men...
I highly doubt it.
I do have one rifle that has some history and claims that might make it "Old Bill Williams" rifle ...notice that I said might...and that is a story best left to another thread....

As for the post that you quoted...
It was very tongue in cheek...and in response to a different members post.
The phrase at the end : "Yeah that's the ticket"...is from a Saturday Night Live Character , who told the most outlandish lies , quickly followed by that phrase.
I thought that might be funny and a clue that I was making my post up....
Sorry for any confusion.
Andy

If I may be allow on further ramble / thread drift...

My friend Dave used to joke that : "There isn't a museum west of the Rockies that doesn't have a rifle of Jim Bridger's".
And while that isn't quite true...Bridger had many rifles , he was indeed gifted with many , which he in turn gave or sold to others.

Daniel Boone had at least one rifle stolen from him when he was captured by the Shawnee...
David Crockett , like many of us fell upon hard times and had to sell his rifle , to make ends meet...
Kit Carson , like Bridger , had guns gifted to him and also like Bridger , he sold or gave them away...
All of these men had many guns through out their lifetime.

One thing to remember about famous men and their guns , lets use Bridger and Carson , for example...the guns we see now in collections or museums that belonged to them...may be later guns , they received , after much of their adventuring life was over.
Cases in point :
The Hawken Rifle in Montana State Museum , that belonged to Jim Bridger...
And the Hawken Rifle in a Collector's Museum in New Mexico , that belonged to Kit Carson...
Are both fine rifles and did indeed , belong to famous men , who no doubt used and loved them.
But , both rifles are far too late of a gun to have been used when Bridger and Carson were starting their careers as "Mountain Men" in the 1820's....

Sorry for the thread drift.
Andy

Well, I USED to have George Washington's very own pair of Luger pistols, with grips made from the actual cherry tree he cut down as a boy. They were a fine addition to a collection that also included such Washingtonabilia as a videotape of the Delaware Crossing, and other similar items. A friend of mine in Western Virginia claimed to have the skeleton of Paul Revere from when he was a boy, but that was always seemed iffy to me.....personally, I feel he was conned, but he HAD traded in a large sealed can of smoke gathered during the Battle of the Wilderness as part-payment.

OTOH, my much-missed Peter Gonter long rifle must have had about a gazillion rounds down it before I got it, judging by the slight rounding in the crown and general air of having been much-used AND much-loved, too. I wanted it from the moment I first clapped eyes on it at an arms and armour show in Coventry in 1988. I had it long enough to put a couple of hundred shots down it, and was really getting the hang of it when was stolen at a gun show - just like the ones that Andy show us. I treasure each and every one of those shots in my memory.

Well, I USED to have George Washington's very own pair of Luger pistols, with grips made from the actual cherry tree he cut down as a boy. They were a fine addition to a collection that also included such Washingtonabilia as a videotape of the Delaware Crossing, and other similar items. A friend of mine in Western Virginia claimed to have the skeleton of Paul Revere from when he was a boy, but that was always seemed iffy to me.....personally, I feel he was conned, but he HAD traded in a large sealed can of smoke gathered during the Battle of the Wilderness as part-payment.

That stuff sounds super rare and expensive. I wish you still had it and could have antiques roadshow check it out.

I'm most def in trouble here. I have zero idea how many rounds are through anything I had.
I have more like the "always goes to the range", "usually", "sometimes", or "hey, haven't pulled this out in a long time".

Interesting the fixation on round count.

A couple of things come to mind.

If a firearm looks good, shoots good, locks up tight, has decent rifling, round count is not a foremost concern to me. A gun might have had thousands of rounds fired, and still be like new, in performance and appearance.

A feller might also discredit a claim by a seller that his gun only has a very few rounds thru it. You have the right to believe it or not, so go back to my first criteria on condition.

And for the non believers, I trade a lot of guns with a very low round count. My weakness has always been, I buy guns, test them, and then sell them. So when I say a gun has two hundred rounds thru it, or even zero rounds, don't assume I'm embellishing. But if you still must assume that all gun sellers are cheats, again, go back to my first criteria of condition.

On the other hand, if I have a gun with a known or assumed high round count, I'll tell you that too. But one thing I'll never do is hide anything, good or bad. Believe it or not, I might be selling a well used gun that shoots every bit as perfectly as a newer gun.

The newest and lowest round count guns are those that are brand new. I've had more failures of brand new guns than from used guns that have been proven and then sold by reputable folks. If you don't rub elbows with reputable folks, then take your chances with a brand new gun.

Last Edited:

OTOH, my much-missed Peter Gonter long rifle must have had about a gazillion rounds down it before I got it, judging by the slight rounding in the crown and general air of having been much-used AND much-loved, too. I wanted it from the moment I first clapped eyes on it at an arms and armour show in Coventry in 1988. I had it long enough to put a couple of hundred shots down it, and was really getting the hang of it when was stolen at a gun show - just like the ones that Andy show us. I treasure each and every one of those shots in my memory.

Thats nice, I just got the laptop that Gaius Julius Cesar used when he crossed the Rubicon.. what most people dont know was he gave it to his nephew, Octavian who used that very laptop to Dox Cleopatra and Marcus Antonius ;)

If I sell a gun, its a gun I don't shoot much. However, I frequently buy used, so only God knows what the round counts are. Also, I generally don't say. My P365 I have a rough idea, but it isn't a number I would advertise to convince someone it was low round. (12-15k)

Interesting the fixation on round count.
And for the non believers, I trade a lot of guns with a very low round count. My weakness has always been, I buy guns, test them, and then sell them. So when I say a gun has two hundred rounds thru it, don't accuse me of a falsehood. But if you still must assume that all gun sellers are cheats, again, go back to my first criteria of condition.

On the other hand, if I have a gun with a known or assumed high round count, I'll tell you that too. But one thing I'll never do is hide anything, good or bad. Believe it or not, I might be selling a well used gun that shoots every bit as perfectly as a newer gun.

The newest and lowest round count guns are those that are brand new. I've had more failures of brand new guns than from used guns that have been proven and then sold by reputable folks. If you don't rub elbows with reputable folks, then take your chances with a brand new gun.
And the gun you sold me that "had never been fired" (TRUE!) is no longer virgin, and probably the sweetest shooter of all my pistols. In 9 months time I will not be able to tell you how many rounds down the pipe, but it'll probably be more than a thousand....

If I sell a gun, its a gun I don't shoot much. However, I frequently buy used, so only God knows what the round counts are. Also, I generally don't say. My P365 I have a rough idea, but it isn't a number I would advertise to convince someone it was low round. (12-15k)

You have 12-15k through your P365? That's impressive!

You have 12-15k through your P365? That's impressive!
yep. Every time I go out shooting I put a few hundred through it. I am pretty confident in it and my skills with it, On multiple occasions it has been 500 when I just shot it. I shoot the living daylights out of my EDC to make sure that if need arises, I won't make an error. My long guns are fun, as are my larger pistols, but if I carry it, I need to go through a ton of rounds IMO to make sure I am proficient.

Also, if it isn't a collectors piece, and I own it, the round count is likely high, but then I don't sell it.

yep. Every time I go out shooting I put a few hundred through it. I am pretty confident in it and my skills with it, On multiple occasions it has been 500 when I just shot it. I shoot the living daylights out of my EDC to make sure that if need arises, I won't make an error. My long guns are fun, as are my larger pistols, but if I carry it, I need to go through a ton of rounds IMO to make sure I am proficient.

Also, if it isn't a collectors piece, and I own it, the round count is likely high, but then I don't sell it.

Nice!

tac; I do sooooo love Your Really Warp Misplaced cents of Humor??? :):):)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top