JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the point is being missed. If someone wanted to prevent mass shootings by focusing on the shooter, they have the weapon or the person. Andy makes the point that it isn't the weapon's fault, so the focus should be on the shooter. But these type of crimes frequently involve people that aren't already criminals, and might be subject to red flags, but those are also opposed. Which is a large reason why people upset about mass shootings default to the gun, since they can't do anything about the people.

Not a defense of gun control as much as saying "So what do we suggest?" And the answer never comes.
Several shooters were called out as problems, but because it wasn't 1975, authorities wouldn't do anything and neighbors risked more by getting actively involved.

Strong male figures in neighborhoods not only offer the potential to stomp out a weirdo, they can also mentor, direct or advise the young man (usually), and avoid the event.

My father wasn't around but I luckily had a few fathers that weren't afraid to let you know you were being stupid or put on a pair of boxing gloves and figure it out. Or learn how to lose and not expect a trophy.

The young males who do these are almost never a surprise.

Strong male figures in neighborhoods not only offer the potential to stomp out a weirdo, they can also mentor, direct or advise the young man (usually), and avoid the event.
Nowadays, healthy masculinity is labeled as toxic.

and yes, this has to do with mass shootings like other social issues happening today.

in respect to school shooters since this is one that strikes an emotional response among the masses there are two theories I have researched and wrote a mini paper on them. first one is routine activities theory and general strain theory. routine activities theory comprises of 3 different areas: a motive offender, a sustainable target, and an absence of capable guardian. How this relates to school shootings is you have a motive target which in a lot of there manifestos they say stuff like "they wanted to get back at the school, show them whos boss, etc.." you have a target which is a bully, teacher, and or classmates, absence of guardian is as simple as not having a security guard, officer station within the school, cameras, locked doors with a fence surrounding the school, something that makes the target easy to get to. we know that criminals want to go down the easy road possible to commit a crime. general strain theory has 3 parts to it: Failure to achieve positively valued goals. Removal of positive stimuli. Introduction of negative stimuli. In a lot of these cases we see the piece of bubblegum shooter was bullied or picked on during school, does that give you a reason to kill that person hell no, the shooter grew up in a single-family house with only a mother who either drank, did drugs, or just wasn't a good role model. all of this can contribute to a person leading a life of crime because they don't have positive role model in there lives. now these are just criminology theories, however, I believe they shed more light onto the problem. starting at the childhood of the shooter is a great way to see where things went wrong.
a good source to look at the information on mass shooting and school shootings is Crime Reaserch, https://crimeresearch.org/blog/
In a lot of school shootings and mass shootings, the offender was either diagnosed with a mental illness or had a undiagnosed illness. Now this doesn't mean that a person with a mental illness will become a mass/school shooter, its a important component to look into since its a common variable among these offenders. the important question is what can we do with all the information out there? as Colion Noir said "stop the fantasy from happening" is a great step in the right direction, but its. not a solve-all answer. More mental health services provided through school? more security guards and resources officers? encourage more citizens to get their CCW? Im not sure what the answer is, but I do know for a fact stripping our rights away will not solve the problem.

His purpose is to create an argument. He wants to get people bickering with each other. That's his whole goal because it creates mental stimulation for him. You can tell them a mile away cuz they always take up the contrary position just to create conflict.

Used to work with a guy like that. Literally was never happy unless there was some interpersonal conflict in the air. If it wasn't there he would drum it up and sit back and watch peopel fighting each other. Can't stand these type of people personally.
He must draw strength like that goo from Ghostbusters that got bigger from hate/people arguing.
Screenshot_20230728_171022.jpg

We never get anywhere. There is no solution because we oppose anything that curtails either people or guns, and no one is actually spending any tax dollars on mental health because conservatives oppose spending. We are also aware that many of these shootings are hate crimes, but we also opposed diversity training to get people to not look at each other as aliens.

I don't have a solution, and I know no one here does. Which is why I don't understand discussions that make it sound like there is one that the left isn't willing to accept. There isn't.

And you're darn right that the left is going to "solve" the problem while we dither.
That's a bunch of bull sheite right there. You GD phuckin' lefties have been running this POS state since the phuckin' 80's. The state mental hospitals were emptied out and closed by the party in charge…. the GD phuckin' USELESS democrat party of Oregon.

Diversity training is another GD leftist lie, it's always lefties driving racial wedges, fomenting all the intersectional pigeon-holing of people which separates and isolates people and it creates all these crisis that keeps them lefty politicos in power.

we also opposed diversity training to get people to not look at each other as aliens.
Diversity training = thought control.

RIght wrong, good or bad we ALL have attitudes and prejudices against things - be it people, cultures, ideas opinions etc. some we learn from our parents, friends as we grow up and some we develop from our life experiences.

Some we grow out of, some we learn to alleviate on our own and some we may loose due to sometimes unexpected experiences but NO amount of 'training' - diversity or otherwise will 'expunge' prejudices from our lives.

Stomper outlined it well above.

Without new laws; lawyers, legislators, jailers, law enforcement and tax collectors would be out of jobs in short order, even just enforcing old laws. That is all I will say on this subject of laws.

On the subject of mental health and guns... who was it that said the mentally ill people have civil rights and rights to self-determination... and thus the asylums shut down, and released all these people onto the streets if they didn't have homes to go to, and who was it that resists the very notion of committing people to facilities?
Reagan?

I think it is odd that you believe that most neighbors have personal relationships.

Diversity training = thought control.

RIght wrong, good or bad we ALL have attitudes and prejudices against things - be it people, cultures, ideas opinions etc. some we learn from our parents, friends as we grow up and some we develop from our life experiences.

Some we grow out of, some we learn to alleviate on our own and some we may loose due to sometimes unexpected experiences but NO amount of 'training' - diversity or otherwise will 'expunge' prejudices from our lives.

Stomper outlined it well above.
Do you know anyone who's thoughts have been controlled?

So were they conservatives before diversity training?
I have no idea if they ever attended diversity training, or if they ever were conservative nor could I care less.

I was answering in the general sense of how I see typical liberals - as nothing more than 'camp followers, easily influenced, and mostly willing to follow any anti - conservative ideas.

The last liberal I spoke to regularly was quintessential in this manner. If I mentioned a conservative idea, be it political, current event, plan, practice, law etc. you name it he was vehemently against it.

He had only one goal - follow any liberal idea, and despise ANYTHING conservative or republican in nature.

I have no idea if they ever attended diversity training, or if they ever were conservative nor could I care less.

I was answering in the general sense of how I see typical liberals - as nothing more than 'camp followers, easily influenced, and mostly willing to follow any anti - conservative ideas.

The last liberal I spoke to regularly was quintessential in this manner. If I mentioned a conservative idea, be it political, current event, plan, practice, law etc. you name it he was vehemently against it.

He had only one goal - follow any liberal idea, and despise ANYTHING conservative or republican in nature.
So your post really wasn't about anything but your partisanship.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews