JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Travel load out?

• Leave it all at home?

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Pistols only?

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Rifles as well?

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Full kit load outs?

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Tin foil hat only?

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Establish routes through communities with trained bystanders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know the pistol roster is unconstitutional but if you take a pistol if should be on the roster for now. I am not how California Highway Patrol or any other LEO will respond if you have any interaction with them. Do you have Oregon license plates you your vehicle? Some of my family members still live in California and I leave my firearms at home when I visit.

I know the pistol roster is unconstitutional but if you take a pistol if should be on the roster for now. I am not how California Highway Patrol or any other LEO will respond if you have any interaction with them. Do you have Oregon license plates you your vehicle? Some of my family members still live in California and I leave my firearms at home when I visit.
Wait……. That roster is for new purchases right? When did that go into affect? Crappie

But it looks like as a visitor I'm not restricted to roster. Possibly the mag cap though.

Incorrect. The roster does not affect possession or ownership of handguns. It limits which guns can be purchased from an FFL by non-exempt purchasers. Other laws restrict the type of guns which may be possessed there.

Incorrect. The roster does not affect possession or ownership of handguns. It limits which guns can be purchased from an FFL by non-exempt purchasers. Other laws restrict the type of guns which may be possessed there.
Mag capacity?

Edit:
Never mind…. No more than 10.
"Cannot import…."

To each their own but I'm disregarding certain local legalities.

Can't catch what you can't see.

In Cali a concealed fixed blade is a felony. A concealed handgun is a misdemeanor. I'll take my chances.

I've always had my pistol with me but not on me while visiting family in California.

But the real problem arises if and when you would use one in a self defense situation while in Cali. Sadly you would almost certainly be arrested and treated like you were the bad guy in most places there.

But I'd rather be on trial vs harm coming to myself or family members though.

There is no law against having a baseball bat or long screwdriver in your car. I'm serious.

Take tire chains, if you've got them. The weather has been weird lately, you'd be surprised how quickly a snow storm can come out of nowhere in the Sierra Nevadas.

There were sketchy characters all over.
I've seen that action. Always a good idea to do a physical recon of the place before you check in. Making online arrangements beforehand has its downside.

In my experience, the worst are the budget places. I used to stay in Motel 6 when I was travelling alone; that's over now. The Motel 6's I've eyeballed in recent years were bad news.

I won't even tell the story about the night I spent with my family years ago, barricaded in a hot room in San Jose. And that was a long time ago, things are much worse now.

You can still bring your guns.
Recommend Cali legal (this does not mean the roster but mag cap (hopefully for not much longer) and no Shockwaves or the like).
know the pistol roster is unconstitutional but if you take a pistol if should be on the roster for now.

Wait……. That roster is for new purchases right? When did that go into affect?
Roster is for new sales.
There is no law against having a baseball bat or long screwdriver in your car. I'm serious.
Felony if you use the words, "They are for my protection." Add a softball and glove, golden. :D

Keep in mind this is high dollar internet advice...you may get what you pay for.

CA is a castle doctrine state, so your hotel room, campsite, etc. are considered your residence. Load up as typical in those locations.
That's a good point, if you claim you are homeless you will probably get like $1000-$2000 per month from the government while you are there too. Maybe free hotel to boot. Pays for your ammo you know...

I would definitely bring a pistol at least. Items to note...
  • Any mags over 10 rounds are illegal and a no-no. Gotta leave those at home
  • Transport must be unloaded in a locked container. A soft case that is lockable counts as a locked container. The trunk counts as a locked container as long as there is no passthrough to the trunk from inside the vehicle.
  • You want to keep your gun out of the glovebox and the center console. Those are no bueno
  • You can keep your gun inside the vehicle with you as long as it is in the locked container
  • Mags can be loaded but NOT inserted into the Magwell.
  • Legally, mags can be loaded and in the locked container with the gun, just not in the magwell. Note that this does not mean you'll get a cop that actually knows the law. Some may have issues with this so you may want to keep the mags separate
  • Note that there is no law that says the loaded mags have to be locked up. They can be sitting in the center console of your car, in your pocket, on your belt, etc. Perfectly legal. Obviously you don't want these to be visible if you get stopped.
  • But one could go from the gun unloaded in the locked container with the dial combination only one digit off, to loading the weapon from a mag on your belt, fairly quickly...if one needed to.
  • Up to you whether you want to bring a rifle/shotgun for the hotel room. It's perfectly legal to have a loaded gun in your hotel room, but you obviously don't want to advertise that as you're walking into the place.
  • Almost forgot...make sure you bring all the ammo you will need. As an out of state resident you will have a hell of a time buying it once you get here.
Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Last Edited:
Don't know anything about California but I remember when frank clark was facing up to 2 years for having concealed weapon in car.
Paywall prevents me from reading the entire article but if it was an actual submachine gun per the headlines, he would be looking at a very long time.
I would definitely bring a pistol at least. Items to note...
  • Any mags over 10 rounds are illegal and a no-no. Gotta leave those at home
  • Transport must be unloaded in a locked container. A soft case that is lockable counts as a locked container. The trunk counts as a locked container as long as there is no passthrough to the trunk from inside the vehicle.
  • You want to keep your gun out of the glovebox and the center console. Those are no bueno
  • You can keep your gun inside the vehicle with you as long as it is in the locked container
  • Mags can be loaded but NOT inserted into the Magwell.
  • Legally, mags can be loaded and in the locked container with the gun, just not in the magwell. Note that this does not mean you'll get a cop that actually knows the law. Some may have issues with this so you may want to keep the mags separate
  • Note that there is no law that says the loaded mags have to be locked up. They can be sitting in the center console of your car, in your pocket, on your belt, etc. Perfectly legal. Obviously you don't want these to be visible if you get stopped.
  • But one could go from the gun unloaded in the locked container with the dial combination only one digit off, to loading the weapon from a mag on your belt, fairly quickly...if one needed to.
  • Up to you whether you want to bring a rifle/shotgun for the hotel room. It's perfectly legal to have a loaded gun in your hotel room, but you obviously don't want to advertise that as you're walking into the place.
  • Almost forgot...make sure you bring all the ammo you will need. As an out of state resident you will have a hell of a time buying it once you get here.
Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor!
You owe @L84Cabo as he nailed it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads