JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never argue with a fool. They'll bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
1661056286809.jpeg

I can only think of 2 reasons to use a revolver for self defense.

You need a round which will be effective against large animals

Or you need to discharge your firearm from your jacket pocket without drawing your firearm.

You would have to be a fudd to believe revolvers are easier to shoot for beginners, more reliable, or better to shoot under stress.

For me, when it comes to personal/home defense a revolver is a niche weapon.
I can only think of 2 reasons to use a revolver for self defense.

You need a round which will be effective against large animals

Or you need to discharge your firearm from your jacket pocket without drawing your firearm.

You would have to be a fudd to believe revolvers are easier to shoot for beginners, more reliable, or better to shoot under stress.
You just nailed most of what I'm saying in my above post.

The revolver's famed reliability and simplicity is vastly overrated/overstated.
I agree completely. I'm not looking to start an argument over it either with any diehard revolver people. I own both and like both. But I trust my Glock more. My call, my choice.

I'm not a die-hard revolver guy but, in a stressful situation (like home defense) it simplifies. With a SA/DA, as long as the cylinder is loaded, point and shoot.

People want to talk about m9 Beretta locking blocks fracturing, and God knows whatever else. That's fine, it is just not relevant to this post.

In the words of Forrest Gump; that's all I have to say about that.

Last Edited:
When I got out of the Navy in 1979 the first gun I bought was a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. That was my do everything gun from nightstand duty to woods carry. with quite a lot of target shooting in between. Time progressed and I bought a 22 and 30.06, then a single shot 12 ga. I decided that I wanted something a little lighter to go walk about with but still with enough beans to defend and feed myself if needed. So I bought a 4" Ruger GP-100. That Ruger is still with me living in semi retirement as my nightstand gun. It's not really a matter of what's "best" I do have other choices that would be "better" it's more like an old friend that's always got my back if need.

For a newbie.
One good reason to choose a revolver over a pistol.....ADs.

Yeah.....you know it happens. I'd venture say that it's probably less often with a revolver.

Aloha, Mark

Love my GP100 6" but I don't want to send rounds into my neighbors house - and 6 shots…

G17 has never failed and my wife shoots it almost better then I do and that's saying something - I'm kind of a big deal =P.

G17 goes to the wife as soon as I have my shotgun out or rifle if I hear a group of people in my house (I doubt it will happen to me but multiple intruders are becoming common now).

To each their own…. Don't understand the hostility. You are slightly more likely to trip and fall and die then get shot with a gun if numbers are to be believed

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top