JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who else here keeps/carries a SA/DA or just DA for personal/domestic safety, and what is your rationale?

For me, it's simple with a SA/DA. if the next index on the cylinder has a round in it, no safety, no checking the chamber to prevent a double feed (if you always have one in the chamber), no having to retract the slide to chamber...if someone is an immediate threat, you've got only a second or two to pull & shoot.

... no safety, no checking the chamber to prevent a double feed (if you always have one in the chamber), no having to retract the slide to chamber...if someone is an immediate threat, you've got only a second or two to pull & shoot.
It's no different with a semi auto with one in chamber.

Last Edited:
I've had my Colt Python wheel gun on the night stand as revolvers do have some real advantages over semi auto, provided they are properly maintained such as it indexes correctly etc. I replaced the wood grip with a Hogue rubber grip to save the factory original and for better recoil absorbing abilities. Also there's no spring pressure like in magazines and revolvers can be easier to load from a loose box of ammo if speed loaders etc. weren't used or available. Revolvers can be difficult to shoot in DA for some so there is a bit of a training curve in that respect. On occasion I carry my SW model 60-15 with a 3" barrel.

I'll stick with a full size striker fire pistol with 34+ rounds on deck.

It's whatever. Your chances of needing any gun are pretty low, so any gun is a decent choice.

However, there is no longer anything that a revolver does that an auto can't against humans. A Kahr is more rounds in a smaller package than Chiefs Special, and a .45 +P is as deadly as any revolver, some autos are as accurate as a revolver. All can be totally reliable.

Double-action only. You only shoot DA/SA guns DA so just say DA guns to differentiate between SA only guns.
Solid point, a lot of revolvers are DA only to keep the spur from catching. I'm honestly in the air about a DA hammerless revolver or a striker fired semi-auto if I take the class and carry.

Solid point, a lot of revolvers are DA only to keep the spur from catching. I'm honestly in the air about a DA hammerless revolver or a striker fired semi-auto if I take the class and carry.
Carry what you shoot best/proficient with.

Nothing 'wrong" with using a revolver for personal or home defense.

Just like any other firearm....
Learn to use it well and within it's limitations.
if you can use it well and it works for your situation...then you will be fine.

At one time the only large caliber handgun I had was a Colt 1860 Army replica.
Not the "best" choice nowadays for most folks for sure.
But...
It was what I had...I shot it well and knew it's limitations.
Being a member of a muzzle loading club , I got to know the revolver and its ins and outs very well.

I state the above , not as a recommendation for the use of a cap and ball revolver for personal / home defense...

Just saying that if you have a firearm , don't get all hung up on :
'It's not what the internet guys / you tube guys / shooting guru guys say is the best / to use / whatever...."

No need to roll over and wait to die , 'cause your firearm of choice or of the moment , is what someone else thinks or says is subpar.
Andy
Edit to add :
I'm way more modern now with my personal defense / home defense handgun....its a Colt Series '70 Government Model... :D

Last Edited:
On "draw" pulls I'm usually more comfortable with a good rubber grip on a revolver.

So, basically, Get some range time, figure out what suits you best, and decide for yourself.

👍

Yea I hear you about DAO guns but to me it's moot since I shoot all DA revolvers DA.

The correct answer is both. The 357 Autorevolver.
MatebaAutoRevolver6in.jpg

I carry a Sig 365 now for conceal carry and have it in a biometric safe in my nightstand, but for my back up I still have my Ruger SP101 hammerless .38/.357.
Carried the Ruger for years, but Sig changed my mind on semiauto 9mm "pocket guns". Wife likes the SP101, it's loaded, point and shoot.
I agree with everyone on here, shoot what you like the best and you hit the center mass with the most accurately.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top