JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
lol my bad I missed that part thanks!:rolleyes:

I'm not trying to argue. Just trying to make a point that, what works for some doesn't work for all. Kruejl likes 2-stage triggers while I prefer single.
So the point is to the OP is that they need to shoot both to see what they prefer. It's hard to come on to a forum and ask "what's the best..." because preferences are different. Someone can post a pro 2-stage video while someone else can post a pro single web article. There's so much pro/con info out there that asking what's the best can get confusing. You just have to get behind both triggers and then make an educated decision. Same goes any parts on these types of ARs. Heavy barrel vs bull barrel is another heated argument you see on these guns...

I'm not trying to argue. Just trying to make a point that, what works for some doesn't work for all. Kruejl likes 2-stage triggers while I prefer single.
So the point is to the OP is that they need to shoot both to see what they prefer. It's hard to come on to a forum and ask "what's the best..." because preferences are different. Someone can post a pro 2-stage video while someone else can post a pro single web article. There's so much pro/con info out there that asking what's the best can get confusing. You just have to get behind both triggers and then make an educated decision. Same goes any parts on these types of ARs. Heavy barrel vs bull barrel is another heated argument you see on these guns...
I know I just misread it's all good

Update with new parts! Also been looking at 6.5 Grendel as a possibility instead of 5.56. Nothing for sure yet but I'll do my own research and keep reading the input I get here!
Get both... Build 1 lower with a really good trigger, and comfortable butstock... then start with a .223 wylde barrel. (ammo is wayyyy cheaper and more plentiful) shoot the crap out of it and get used to the platform... then build a separate 6.5 upper later when you can. 2 pins to switch back and forth when needed. 6.5 is the next caliber I wish to explore when funds allow.

Get both... Build 1 lower with a really good trigger, and comfortable butstock... then start with a .223 wylde barrel. (ammo is wayyyy cheaper and more plentiful) shoot the crap out of it and get used to the platform... then build a separate 6.5 upper later when you can. 2 pins to switch back and forth when needed. 6.5 is the next caliber I wish to explore when funds allow.

Good advise here. Go with a .223 Wylde and make sure not to skimp on the barrel.
Here is the one I run in mine: <broken link removed>

Sir, let's cut to the chase.

Question: What do you need to shoot 5-600 yards, with an AR15 in .223/5.56x45?

1. An AR15 rifle, with a 20 inch barrel, 1:8 or 1:7 twist, and a 5.56 chamber.
2. A quantity of properly loaded .223 or 5.56 ammunition with 62 grain bullets.
3. Some range instruction with a United States Marine.

Done.

If you can find a single stage that breaks clean at a desirable weight I would take it versus a double. I don't like the release click on a double stage it's really annoying but unfortunately it's difficult to get a single stage in a 3lb configuration.

I have one of these on my LR AR15:

147810771281668.jpg

There any sub 5lb single stage triggers for less than $100? Been searching around trying to find something decent. Dont need top quality, just something to get the job done.

I saw the Velocity Triggers 3lb option. Looking into it. Never heard of them before.

I knew that this was going to be a long and controversial thread and it is!
I went and bought a Colt H-BAR. Just mocking the builders a bit!
Argue on, guys! :D

If you want a decent 2 stage on the cheap. some like the Rock River Arms, but it has mixed reviews....
Rock River Arms AR-15 Two Stage NM Trigger Kit
for a good single stage the POF 4.5, I can personally vouch that it is reliable, and a joy to shoot. It can be found on sale quite often if you look out...
POF AR15/AR10 4.5lb Trigger w/ KNS Anti Rotation Pins
Another budget option is to get a milspec trigger, and a "$20 trigger job kit" where you buy an adjustable set screw and get reduced weight springs for $5
JoeBob's AR15 Grip Screw Trigger Adjuster
I run this in my 300bo, and with a little bit of polishing the sear I got a pretty darn good trigger.. It pulls at around 4 lbs, and has very little creep. But it's not as consistent or crisp as the POF.

If you are really handy, you can try a 1/4" long 1/4" x28 set screw($.50 or less from hardware store) ahead of your grip screw instead of the $15 joe bob screw, but it takes a bit of blue loctite, trial/error and patients to get it adjusted right, and you might have to put a few extra washers on your grip screw to get it tight. I have done this with a couple also and with no other mods it's a nice reliable 5ish lbs.

I knew that this was going to be a long and controversial thread and it is!
I went and bought a Colt H-BAR. Just mocking the builders a bit!
Argue on, guys! :D
A colt Delta hbar with the raised cheek piece, rubberized tasco 3-9, and red triangle on the grip is way up on my bucket list. I will own one... some day:rolleyes:

You already have a lower,

Buy an upper from palmettostatearmory.com: free float barrel, 16 inch minimum length barrel, nice handguard for mounting bipod if you want, BCG and CH. Altogether about $300 with free shipping. There have been studies that show the barrel length doesn't have as much to do with accuracy as people think, a guy took a chop saw and cut his shilen barrel from 24 inches in inch increments all the way down to 10 or so inches and his groups were not significantly different from bench and the FPS difference between a 16 and a 20 is really actually almost insignificant (google it)

Nice scope, lots of options and lots of price tags. More magnification always helps depending on the size of target you are trying to hit. I have Leupold, Trijicon, Athlon Optics, Primary Arms, etc.

For about $380 I got a 6x24 FFP 30mm and illuminated mil dot set up from Athlon Optics, I put it on a .270 Win and have thoroughly enjoyed what it allows me to do at distance. This scope is heavy though. Factor in mounts (lots of options there) I personally prefer Larue mounts, but they are expensive.

For about $270 you can get a Leupold 3x9 Mark AR Mod 1 SFP one inch tube in mil dot. I personally love this scope and consider it to be the benchmark for all rifle scopes, it is cheap, tough, lifetime warranty, and the turret is awesome in mil dot, you can even for about $60 get a custom turret from Leupold so if you chrono your loads and submit them the data, they will create a turret that is completely dialed to your load, if you know the distance, you just turn the turret to the appropriate distance and pull the trigger. They also make this scope in 6x18 but the price is about $400.

I like my Trijicon accupoint 3x9 mil dot, but the only thing it has over the Leupold 3x9 is the tritium/fiber optic, its nice and it operates similar to a red dot when it is on 3 power, but its more than twice the price of the leupold and if the intent is shooting 500 or greater I personally think the reticle is too think for that.

Trigger, I find the mil spec triggers can definitely range in quality, even though I have been perfectly happy with them Larue had a sale on MBT-2s triggers for $100 so I figured I would give it a shot, it does seem very nice and I think that it will definitely become the center of a long range build in either 5.56 or .308.

I have multiple Palmetto builds, one is a 16" 1/8 twist SS .223 wylde medium contour, that shoots 1MOA with factory ammo and better with my handloads. That is just one barrel though.

I have another that is a 16" 1/7 twist nitride and chrome lined, it will also do 1 MOA with most ammo, personally I find most accuracy problems are related to the shooter, aiming, breathing, trigger press, grip on the rifle, stance, recoil management. In fact, when I do my testing for accuracy, its just from a bench put on sandbags, still a lot of influence from the shooter involved, unless you completely tied down the rifle so it couldn't move and then fired it all accuracy measures are still influenced by the shooter. Those all have much more effect on the accuracy than the gun itself. The scope can also make a heck of a difference. It is just simply easier to make accurate shots consistently with more magnification.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I know personally if I was looking to make a dedicated distance .223 rig in the AR platform, I would stick with what has already been successful for me, which is Palmettostatearmory.com

I built a lower and ordered an upper with a SS 18'' barrel and mid length gas from White Oak. I haven't got to shoot at 500m yet, but I have no doubt in this ARs abilities.

IMG_1969.JPG IMG_1912.JPG IMG_1958.JPG IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1957.JPG

If you install your Timney trigger correct the pins don't fall out. The hex screws put tension on them. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top